PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Comments

• jess444_2
    jess444_2 Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Hi Weezl74 -

I am very interested in this and am aiming to increase my fruit and veg intake by growing more of my own this year.

[I have set myself a budget of £40 a month for the two of us]

Is this for all of your food or just fruit and veg. I would certainly struggle with this budget even for fruit / veg.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Hi Jess444,

I agree It's a tight budget, but yes I really am aiming to do it all for that!:eek:

To be honest most of our 5 a day will come from veg rather than fruit (although 50p bag of asda frozen 'smoothie maker' with tropical fruits makes lovely ice cream and counts as a portion, and then there's the joys of asda 'rollback' dried fruit!!!- I sound like I work for them!;)) so, yes, it will be quite a challenge to do this healthily, and that's why I thought I'd blog about it. If it was easy, I guess it wouldn't be a riveting read!

Weezl x;)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • broke_mary
    broke_mary Posts: 121 Forumite
    hi mrs m and Weezl

could you post the recipes please for your goulash soup, the chicken and sweetcorn one and also the pea and ham.

brilliant thread Weezl will be watching this one for lots of ideas and help

mary
    1. jan GC £200
    2. 3rd-9th[STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]actual spend £95.00 :eek:
    3. 10th-16th [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
    4. 17th-23rd [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
    5. 24th-30th [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You may be going to far with the price change. To make a reasonable comparison I would suggest you say $70 there is equivalent to £70 here.
    I would say that would be more like it. You can buy an awful lot more with $70 in Walmart....than £35 in Asda.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • DenBo_4
    DenBo_4 Posts: 536 Forumite
    I'm loving this thread, but I haven't been able to get the links to work for me, I want to see the meal plan ideas! Can anyone copy some for me to look at, (and paste in this thread) please??

Also, we don't have an Asda here, but my daughter is keen to make the 40 mile round trip and do a big shop there for a change, can anyone point me in the right direction for must-have Asda purchases? Also, where is the Asda smoothie maker with tropical fruits for 50p based? (as in, is it frozen?dried fruits?) I want to spend as little as possible and come home with as much as possible :p

Thanks
  • weezl74
    Hi Denbo,

It's a bag of chopped up fruits in the freezer section, banana, mango, pineapple etc for 50p. I worked out it had 7 portions of the famous 5 a day, so we have 1/7th of the ice cream for our pud. If you see what I mean!

About making the big trip to that asda, might be worth you checking out mysupermarket.co.uk (I'd post a link, but you said they weren't working for you, so just type that into google, it's sure to be on the first page!) then you can compare all the prices of what you usually buy, with what asda do for cheaper. My faves are the 500g bags of asda own brand dried fruit (22p and half the price of their 'value' equivalents!):T It might be worth you getting a free delivery on spends above £50 voucher and doing it online rather than do all those miles, petrol prices being a bit scary at the mo!

Hi jordylass, how interesting! So in real terms I'd be getting about £300 worth of food spends a month. Hmmmmn, seriously considers moving to the States....:p

Blog-wise I am pleased to report that me and mr weezl will be going to bed definately having had 6 portions of fruit and veg, and no saturated fat for me, and only 6grams for him.:D

Broad bean and pesto soup, veg curry, tropical fruits ice-cream and HM sundried tomato bread are responsible for these good statistics. I've batch cooked 45 evening meals too, so the sig situation is less scary than it seems.;)

No ill effects so far. Fingernails still intact;)

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • jess444_2
    jess444_2 Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Weezl,

WOW - I will be watching your blog with interest.
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    This is going to be a great thread and very inspiring. :D

Weezl - do you use an ice cream maker or make it manually? I'd love to have a try at making my own ice cream.
  • weezl74
    This is going to be a great thread and very inspiring. :D

Weezl - do you use an ice cream maker or make it manually? I'd love to have a try at making my own ice cream.

Hiya cheerfulness, I do have an ice-cream maker, but its one of the ones where you have to freeze the base for 8 hrs first, and being a committed OSer now, there's never any room in my blinkin freezer!

So I make mine by hand, I boiled up bananas, sugar, cinnamon in a pan until it was a puree, then allowed it to cool.

Then I stirred it into a large tub of cream, whipped to soft peaks stage. You have to fold it gently to not knock the air out!

HTH,

Weezl x

• cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    That sounds lovely - would it work with the UHT type creams such as Netto sells or does it have to be the fresh Double cream?
    Must get this practiced before summer arrives... heck tho, I eat ice cream whatever the weather. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure