PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    wow mrsmcawber - just seen your sig. wir gratulieren - impressive stuff! you go girl :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    wow mrsmcawber - just seen your sig. wir gratulieren - impressive stuff! you go girl :j
    Thankyou so much :p ... still have a way to go but im going in the right direction :D ...
    Since dumping all the diet, low fat rubbish and going back to basics -using butter, lard etc , but eating sensible portions it seems so easy :confused: .. no cravings for rubbish..in fact since starting i have only had a bit of choc over xmas -back home in the UK, and since then -14 weeks with no crisps, choc etc..i really don't want it anymore :eek: wish i had thought of doing it this way many moons ago :rolleyes:

Weezle... oh to be 6ft 3 and have a fast metabolism :p

well hubbies soups vary but his faves are:-
    Chicken n sweetcorn -made using the chicken carcass
    chicken n noodle -as above ;)
    cream of veg
    ham n pea -made using the water when i boil a gammon
    spicy goulash
    .... but I regularly use the middle of the broccoli, cabbage, cauli - i prefer the stalks anyway but make them into soups...
    So his last batch of veg was made with the scrubbed potato peelings,carrots the stalk of the cauli n broccoli, plenty of onions as they are good for the blood ;) lamb stock cube and water and then i also use split peas, lentils, broth mix, pearl barley -depending what i feel like....cook until tender and then blitz... i make it smooth and rather thick (takes up less space in my freezer that way ;) ) also when hubby warm it up in the micro in the mornings it reduces further..so it condenses...so 1 mug full probably started of as 2 mugs :rotfl: . Hubby doesn't do brekkie so his flask and HM bread does him for his morning break, lunch and afternoon break :T
    The goulash 1 I concocted has potato, onion, peas, carrot, peppers, mushrooms, pork, passata in...again you can condense loads of veggies into it .
    To say it keeps him warm and full all day there is very little fat etc in so he is losing a bit of weight without trying too
    God i waffle :rotfl: ..i will go away again..for now...but i will be back.. im off to spend an evening with my recipes..so if i come across any nice healthy, tasty and economical ones i will let you know :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You'll find ideas on this blog (written from the same sort of viewpoint):

www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index.htm
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    I think I will post this recipe now! My house is filled with the fresh bread, rosemary and tomato scent as I type this:

590g plain white flour - 15p
    approx 220ml of just boiled water- free
    20 sun dried tomato halves (making 10 portions of your 5 a day)- i paid 1.20 on the farmers market
    2 tsp sugar -1p
    2 tsp salt - 1p
    Fresh rosemary from the garden -free
    fresh yeast (approx 9g, but I think I could've used less!)- free from asda bakery

Makes 2 loaves in 2lb loaf tins and enough spare for two fat bread sticks.

Pour just boiled water on the dried tomatoes to rehydrate and plump them. After 15 mins ish, add the yeast and sugar to activate the yeast. chop the rosemary into little pieces and add to the tomato liquid.

Mix all the above into the flour and salt, and knead for about 5-10 mins or until your arm aches!

Divide into 2 loaf tins and 2 bread sticks.

Allow to rise, covered, in a warm place until dough peeks above the top of the tins.

Bake for 25 mins at GM6.

Lush!

And 3 slices is one portion of our 5 a day: price per loaf 63p and a few pence for delicious bread sticks...

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There's a meal plan that starts on page 14 http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/MiscPubs/FoodPlansRecipeBook.pdf and loads of recipes.

Thanks weezl, this is going to give me hours of reading and hopefully lots of ideas.

FFM :)

Hmmmm......dont think I can participate in this one - the vegetarian recipe section contains all of...........ONE!......recipe....

or have I missed something?
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Hi ceridwen,

I'm not gonna use their recipes, I'm gonna try to eat 5 a day, little salt, lowish fat and whip their !!! on the budget front! Being a veggie, I bet you could do it too!

Go on..... you know you want to!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Ohhhhhh

I didn't get far from the PC did I ? :rotfl:

That sounds like my kind of thing :p ... hubby would be overly keen...mind he could surprise me -if i served it with his goulash soup ;) ... will have to wait until i have a bit of freezer space and then give that a go... unearthed a tub of sundried tomatoes last week..and was wondering what i could do with them :j
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hi ceridwen,

I'm not gonna use their recipes, I'm gonna try to eat 5 a day, little salt, lowish fat and whip their !!! on the budget front! Being a veggie, I bet you could do it too!

Go on..... you know you want to!

:D Just one teensy point - I'd lose on that one big-time - a certain little thing called "organic price premium" on a lot of my food:eek: - so, with me having no hopes on that front, and just about to start on a diet - think I'll just sit back and watch this one with interest:D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This should be interesting. I can see it getting as long as Thriftlady's wartime rations thread! The sundried tomato bread sounds tasty so I think I'll give that a go.
  • soappie
    soappie Posts: 6,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wish you the bestest of best luck Weezl.

Five a day is easier than you think. One glass of value orange juice, some sliced tomato and cucumber or lettuce in a lunch time sandwich then some carrots, peas and perhaps cabbage with your dinner - there we are, five.

When it comes to autumn, you can harvest the blackberries that abound our verges and freeze them. Then, a handful of them in your morning breakfast gruel will count as one of the five a day. Or even elderberries, or sloes.

And I think one of the reasons Americans are so erm.. large (if we're allowed to say that!) is because of the amount of sugar they put in everything and the way (to me, anyway) they seem to have their steak or burger without any veg apart from chips. And portion sizes. When I was in the US of A a few years ago, the portions that were served up would have done me two meals back home.
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport