Alliance and Leicester

Options
Hello people, I have started this new thread so people can post the good and bad about Alliance and Leicester, love them or hate them I want to gather as much data about them as possible and when we have a good thread going then I will collect the data and send it to there customer feedback dept, lets see what the outcome is. I will start off by saying that I am a happy customer and have no complaints with the service that provide, they gave me a full current account when other banks said no, I find there online service very good and accurate and never before in my life had an interest rate on a current account, to sum it up, happy customer I think.
Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.

Comments

• neilp
    neilp Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a Premier Direct account with them for just over three months, and am pretty happy so far. Their customer service compares favourably to the two other banks I've had current accounts with (Barclays and Smile), the switching service was fairly smooth (though one does have to monitor it quite closely to make sure all payments happen as they should during the switch), and their rates are very competitive. The main thing that could be improved is the speed of online transactions. Payments and transfers don't happen immediately, so seem to day about one working day longer than the other banks I've used. This hasn't been a problem so far, only a slight annoyance.

I've read quite a bit of poor feedback about A&L customer service on here. I'm sure there are issues, particularly where people's needs are more complex. However, my experience so far has exceeded my expecations (though I must admit my expectations were not that high because of what I'd read on here).
  • louiser_2
    Options
    I'm much more of a listener here than a poster, but I can't keep quiet on this one. I've had a hideous time with them. I also switched about 3 months ago (from Smile because their interest rate had dropped so much). It's certainly been an experience.
    I do most of my banking online & find their website functional but unpleasant. As noted by neilp, the payments & transfers aren't speedy. That's probably the most positive thing I have to say about them.

My main problem with them is customer service. I changed my name & it's taken 2 months & 3 separate sets of documentation to get their systems updated, plus numerous phone calls (They also lost my deed poll along the way). On the plus-side, the people on the phone desks seem better than their branch staff. I called in at the main branch in Liverpool & had to fill in a form. Its bad enough when the representative on the front desk answers a ringing without acknowledging you first, but the rep who was 'helping' me actually phoned up her friend & started chatting about her night out whilst I was filling in a form. (It took me about 30 seconds to do - at least she had the manners to apologise to her friend when she had to interrupt their conversation to accept my form!). Shame she didn't think to apologise to the person she was employed to help.

I consider myself to be pretty self-sufficient from banks & usually don't contact them from one year to the next, so would never have bothered about a company's customer service too much, just what the bottom line financial benefits are. Now I'm now looking around for a new bank... As I'm sure has already been said on this site before, there's a reason why they can afford to offer high interest rates.
  • scarybiscuits_2
    Options
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    Been with them for coming on 2 years now. Signed up for a Premier Direct C/A (although it was called something slightly different then). Had no problems.

I agree - internet banking isn't very pretty - but then none of them really are (and I've seen most of them) - I find it far more functional than Halifax's was (I haven't seen it since they upgraded) and I find it easier to navigate than Nationwide. Really like their picture and phrase authentication to prove who *they* are to help prevent phishing.

My biggest complaint was trying to talk to them on the phone because you needed that bloody telephone pin and you had to reset it before they'd talk. However, there is now a number you can call which uses your internet number and pin - great!

They were superb with me when I wanted to withdraw £2000 quickly - it was ready within 5 minutes at a local post office. Also - had to get some copy statements recently - wanted 3 months - was only charged for one.

Never been tried to sell anything ... never had any problems ... only complaint was trying to get through on the phone - don't need to worry about that any more.

Everyone has complaints about individual banks - but personally - I've never had an issue with A&L and anytime I have had to talk on the phone it has been answered reasonably quickly and I've had a friendly, helpful, person on the other end.

M.
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great to see the postive post's coming through, there has been so much bad press on here about A&L so keep the posts coming so we can construct some usefull feedback.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • neilp
    neilp Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    To follow up on what I wrote yesterday. I actually find A&L's internet banking interface as good, if not better, than any other I have used. My only issue with it, as I stated above, is that payments do not leave the account immediately, so tend to take at least one working day longer than is the norm with other banks.
  • londonuk2008
    londonuk2008 Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    I have been shocked at the bad experiences people have had with A+L -I have been with them for two years. At the time I opened a basic current account and a Electron card. Within three months I was sent a Visa debit card and then upgraded last year to a Premier account.

Last year my card was cloned and refunded within a week .I have to say they are very helpful and efficent . All in all , very happy!
  • scarybiscuits_2
    Options
    I have found the bank staff very helpful and use the internet banking daily with out any problem but my recent loan experience has made me wary of them and I would certainly think twice before using any of there other services.
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have found the bank staff very helpful and use the internet banking daily with out any problem but my recent loan experience has made me wary of them and I would certainly think twice before using any of there other services.
    What was the problem with the loan application?
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been with A & L many years going back to when it was simply Girobank.. as have many members of my family on my recommendation. I have found their online banking trouble free and all other aspects very good.. I don't often have to use their telephone service as I always manage everything online but on the odd occasion they have been accurate and helpful. I have several Acc's including ISA'S, 2 Current Accs, Direct Saver and CC. I find it easy to manage as all my Acc's are on one screen and I can juggle money around with ease. It has never caused me a problem that money doesn't appear to move instantly although sometimes this does happen.. I have and still do recommend them to all my family and as far as I am aware no one has ever had a problem with them...

Well my grandson did but that was because his money ran out and he didn't have the sense to arrange an emergency O/D facility... all his own fault..:rotfl:
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport