YTD - £1,175

50k holding

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    grahamgoo said:
    [snip]
    I am a firm believer that in the long run, the longer you hold bonds and the more of them you have, the closer you will get to the median return.  Deciding to sell after a bad streak is just an emotional decision, give it time and it will even itself out.
    The funny thing is, I've done much better, since I reduced my holding by more than half - it also loosely coincided with them adding more £50 and £100 prizes.  To the extent that I daren't add any more for fear of breaking my decent streak - even though mathematically that's a nonsense.  I've bimbled around 6% return for the last year or so, so that's good enough for me.  I don't realistically expect to win big, I've always had the idea that £1,000 would probably be as good as I might get - £325 was my best month. But when someone fires up Ernie, my bonds have the same chances as everyone else's - they've just got a LOT of competition. 

• poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think PBs bring out all sorts of weird superstitions and beliefs in us because of the random nature of the draws and humans desire to make sense of everything😀.

You should indeed get closer to the median over time but then there’s always the chance of an isolated big win to throw that off course!

I’m not immune as I had one newer, bigger block that was all that ever won for me when the interest rate was low. Once the interest rate increased that block has thrown up no winners which these days seem to be coming from very, very old PBs. So any theory of the value of big blocks went out of the window. 

Though I do like the fun of all this speculating and waiting and am lucky enough to be able to keep funds in PBs. My return is not as high as @BooJewels but better than EA accounts once the tax free nature is taken into consideration. 
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That's all true @poppystar - I mentioned in an earlier post that one batch of £10k has yielded twice as many winners than the other batch of £10k - so it's always felt 'luckier'.  But all that actually proves is that it truly is random.  Random in itself will throw up patterns - that we tend to interpret as something else.

I haven't even factored in the no tax, that definitely gives my PBs an edge, especially when the basic true return is around 6%.  I've always considered my PB holding as my dire emergency fund - whilst you can get at the funds pretty easily, it feels a bit more final than moving money between EA accounts - so they tend to feel more like a fix or notice account, so I generally leave them be.
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    £175 on full so ok month.
    3.5% YTD
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    £100 on 13.4k holding (same prize amount as last month)  :) 
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jan - £75
    Feb - £200
    March - £150
    April - £50
    May - £75

YTD - £550

Holding £12,550

4.58% return on my original £12k
  • huw01
    huw01 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £400 this month, 4 prizes of £100
    on a full holding
    Rolling 12 month total is £1700

This month really has bumped up the 12 month
  • Macsidia
    Macsidia Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £200 for May, (2x £50, 1x £100) on just over £42K. Big relief since I was on a hat-trick of blanks.
    Total for the year so far is £500. Still well below the average expected return.
    Save £12,000 in 2024: £3,100 out of £12,000.
  • amysquie
    amysquie Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    First time having PB and I put 10k in. Thought I'd give them a try as my late Nana had full holding and over the past year had won something every month. Won £100 in my first draw! Very happy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback