We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Premium Bond Winner ?

1…917918920922923…1161

Comments

  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 3,571 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 December 2023 at 3:22PM
    Looking back, I've had an overall return of 4.05% on a full holding this year which seems decent, considering the prize fund was 3% - 3.75% for the first 7 draws and 4% / 4.65% for the last 5.

    That was mainly due to a decent (£700) win in January though. Monthly prizes ranged from £25 to £700 this year and there were no months where I didn't win anything, luckily.

    4.05% is equivalent to 5.06% when taxed at 20% and, back at the start of January this year, the best easy access savings account was paying 2.86% (and didn't reach 5% until August) and the best 1 year fixed rate was 4.25%, both obviously potentially subject to tax.

    I've not always been this lucky though and there are plenty of previous years where I didn't get near the amount I'd have liked, even taking into account the fact that you'd expect to win less than the stated prize fund figure with 'average luck'.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 6,375 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    £75 on FH.    

    Premium bond  Returns
    Invested Total prize Yield Tax Year
    £50,000.00 £1,000 2% 23-24
    £50,000.00 £650 1.3% 22-23
    £50,000.00 £425 0.85% 21-22
    £50,000.00 £775 1.55% 20-21 
    £50,000.00 £725 1.45% 19-20 
    £50,000.00 £950 1.9% 18-19
    £50,000.00 £450 0.9% 17-18 
    I don't think you'll be busting inflation with those numbers.
  • DPR87
    DPR87 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    £525 this month on FH

    Total earnings in 2023 on FH £2725. 

    Pretty decent 
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 2,355 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Despite winning nothing this month my return for 2023 is 4.2% on an average holding of £26k. Can't complain, especially since all the winnings are tax free.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,930 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Husband has £300 and I have £50.  Both on full holdings.
  • 1 x £100 & 1x £50 this month.
    For the year, I have 33 wins which equals £2,050, a return of 4.01%. Best year ever for me on each metric, but given NS&I increased the return target this year not a surprise I suppose.  

    Currently on a 13 month winning streak, (although my best is 27 months).
    My monthly results for the year:


  • mr_sharma
    mr_sharma Posts: 132 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    £150 for me this month.

    October - £425
    November - £0


  • SandyN21
    SandyN21 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Gers said:
    One lucky person has won £10k from a £2.00 bond bought in 1956.  There's always hope! 
    And me....I've got 2 bought for me in 1957 from my godmother when I was a few months old 😃
  • Full holding

    1 X 50
    1 X 100
    1 X 500

    Only 1 blank month (Feb) for the year and a 2023 total of £2150 equalling 4.30% so overall that's pretty average, but becomes a lot better not having had to pay 40% tax on it !
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 6,375 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I'm so disappointed with my PB full holding returns that even the average ones posted on here look impressive
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.