PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Uses for old buttons

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you remember the clothes that some of the buttons came off of 160?
    Get your kids to pick a button out and weave a story based round it eg a button off of a baby outfit tell them which one outfit bought for and when where they went to in it etc (and if can't remember fabricate :o;)).

Would tie in well with home reading.

when I was little I once read a story about someones button tin just like described
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    Depending on how pretty the buttons are.

I've seen quite a few handbags over the past few years that have buttons sewn on them. Look lovely but have been really expensive.

Perhaps dig out an old cloth bag if you have one & you could sew the buttons on yourself.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thamks for the ideas. like the hair one, should be amusing when i go shopping. really like the curtain idea math, think that could be a winner. ;D
  • Stuy
    Stuy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    When my girls where babies I threaded some big button onto some string, tied the ends together and they had toy that they loved, (they still have tucked away somewhere). As thy got older we used to a "button box" which was brought out to play sorting games with.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wheels for kids model making
    homemade greetings cards
    xmas tree decorations - button people or garlands sprayed gold
    you could even sew them on your clothes!!! Have a mending session.
    Donate them to the local school or playgroup if you have loads.
    If you have a heavy winter coat or a leather coat it really should have buttons on the inside too to stop the buttons pulling in the fabric. If it doesnt use your spares there.
    Put them in the bottom of a clear vase to brighten up a flower arrangement
    Counters for board games, or DIY tiddlywinks.
    just a few ideas!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my sister told me today that she threw her buttons away the other week. Her twins have come home from nursery with a picture each on which they have to find and stick various things to it including - yes you guessed a button ;D.
    Apparantly she's had to go begging for 2 of our mum ;D
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my sister told me today that she threw her buttons away the other week. Her twins have come home from nursery with a picture each on which they have to find and stick various things to it including - yes you guessed a button ;D.
    Apparantly she's had to go begging for 2 of our mum ;D
    my youngest ( aged 3, a boy) is making a necklace and bracelet by threading them at the moment. they are all over the floor, but it looks quite trendy, am quite envious actually.

by the way, try one on a dishcloth, it really got off stuck on cereal from bowel under teenagers bed.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad it worked :D I like Spendless idea of talking about the memories a button brings back. Inspired me to get out my button tin, it contains 3 generations of saved buttons (must be a family thing) Some are very old and beautiful. Had a little :'( remembering some things.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glad it worked :D I like Spendless idea of talking about the memories a button brings back. Inspired me to get out my button tin, it contains 3 generations of saved buttons (must be a family thing) Some are very old and beautiful. Had a little :'( remembering some things.

i did that too last nigh t (the :'( bit) when found some off husbands favourite shirt. so have threaded them onto some embroidery thread, and got them round my wrist today. sad but makes me feel a bit closer to him.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :'( ooh you will start me off too... thats sad but also nice thing for you to do with the buttons.
    I have buttons I CANT get rid of, like little tiny ones and i remember which piece of baby clothing they came off. And I loved playing with my nannas button box, and some of the HUGE old fashined buttons that were in there.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts