PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Uses for old buttons

Options
i have 2 jars full of old buttons, and haven't a clue what to do with them. some are really pretty and seems a shame to throw them out, anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Cover 1 gilt mirror frame with PVA glue. Stick buttons all over it (colour co-ordinating with front room or bight rainbow effect for bathroom) Ta da. Used up buttons and no need to clean mirror ;D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cover 1 gilt mirror frame with PVA glue.  Stick buttons all over it (colour co-ordinating with front room or bight rainbow effect for bathroom) Ta da.  Used up buttons and no need to clean mirror  ;D

pmsl. thanks, but i like the mirror too much to do that.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Shame ;)

I remember covering an old table lamp base with, I think it must have been tile grout or something gloopy like that then sticking shells collected from the beach all over it then dusting with sand. You could use buttons instead - you can get grout in funky colours now too.

Or, I found THIS page. A festive button wreath.

My Gran collected buttons ''cause you never know when you might need one'' she kept them colour co-ordnated in jars and when she died she had hundreds of these blooming jars - I'll see if I can find out what we did with them. We gave all of her wool to a charity that makes crocheted (don't know how to spell it, kitting with holes in) blankets for Bosnia and Romania etc. I think they'll have enough to keep everyone in the world warm ;D I think she was starting her own button and wool mountain.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have an old lamp i could do that with, i like that idea lots. off to focus next tue with grandad as its pensioners discount day so will see what colours of grout they have got.

thanks.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stitch a button to the corner of ya cleaning/ dish cloth for when you want to attack a stuborn stain, burnt on food or get into the grouting etc. You can use the button direct on the offending bit (like a scraper) or use through the fabric of the cloth. Saw this on the telly years ago, apparently it's an old trick used by scullery maids etc in the old fashioned times (as my kidz call it) :D

Knew someone who used to have a button stiched to the front of her pinny (cross-over of course) always wondered what it was for until I saw here hang her oven gloves/duster off it so she had them at hand.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stitch a button to the corner of ya cleaning/ dish cloth for when you want to attack a stuborn stain, burnt on food or get into the grouting etc. You can use the button direct on the offending bit (like a scraper) or use through the fabric of the cloth. Saw this on the telly years ago, apparently it's an old trick used by scullery maids etc in the old fashioned times (as my kidz call it) :D

Knew someone who used to have a button stiched to the front of her pinny (cross-over of course) always wondered what it was for until I saw here hang her oven gloves/duster off it so she had them at hand.

well thats 2 buttons taken care of. thanks. :)
  • MATH
    Options
    LOL ;D I was cooking the tea at the time. Couldn't come up with a whole jar of ideas at the time. Still can't sorry :(
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    was bit worried had offended you, glad you lol. ;D

my daughter says sew them allon a bag, it'll look cool, yes by the time i'm finished i'd have no fingers left.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gotta say, the idea on the dishcloth is a good one though, gonna give that a try,

thanks.
  • MATH
    Options
    Felt I had dissapointed you on the button front :( So I've wracked my brains and come up with 3 more wizzard ideas ;D

1. Being the 'Queen of Chat' you could display your royal lineage by decorating all ya clothes with buttons like the pearly Kings & Queens do. Turn a few heads in Sainsbury's ;)

2. Thread them through ya hair for that trendy braided look (if it's long) and that crazy mad-woman look (if it's short) ;D. People downright staring in Sainsbury's :o

3. THIS IS THE BEST ONE! Create a beaded curtain out of buttons. Hang it on ya kitchen door to create the atmosphere of an Indian restaurant. Tell ya kidz it's every bit as good as going out to eat and save a fortune. :)

If none of these inspired and useful ideas appeal you could always save them for when a button drops off ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure