PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Confessions of a very tired old styler. Please join in.

Options
1118119121123124127

Comments

  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jpscloud wrote: »
    We were talking about housework at work once and one colleague said she was dying to get her curtains down to wash them as they'd already been up for a whole fortnight.

    I didn't have the heart tell her that mine get washed every couple of years, whether they need it or not. :o

    Oh and she meant the whole house. I just pick the dirtiest.

    My "least OS/MSE" confession: I buy ice cubes! :eek:

    People wash curtains!? I've been in this house 13 years and I may have dusted them a few times but never washed them!! :eek:
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Phew I thought it was just me although I did wash them once years ago but that makes the pins holding them up go rusty so not doing that again!
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    kacie wrote: »
    People wash curtains!? I've been in this house 13 years and I may have dusted them a few times but never washed them!! :eek:

    I'm glad you said that! My curtains have been up 6 years and i've never washed them either
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm glad you said that! My curtains have been up 6 years and i've never washed them either
    I was told by one of those posh ladies on a made-to measure curtains department that most curtains should never be washed. She advised 'giving them a good blow' on the washing line if you felt that they needed refreshing. Good enough for me :D
    She quoted medieval tapestries as an example of items lasting longer by not being washed... :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • LV_Sue
    LV_Sue Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    My late mother-in-law not only washed her net curtains every fortnight, she changed them twice a year! She had a summer set and a winter set. When I first knew her, back in the 1960s, she used to change her curtains twice a year as well! :eek: Nobody did that in my family cos we only had one set for each window!;)
    How the other half live eh?:rotfl:
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All my curtains say "dry clean only"???
    I sometimes wish I could just put them into a washing machine.. but paying £x for dry cleaning when they weren't that expensive to start off with seems like really stupid idea to me, I will rather buy new ones!
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2013 at 12:17PM
    Options
    Though net curtains in my mother's house (that generation) are washed couple of times a year... all windows polished from the inside and all cupboards cleaned out and re-lined with new wall paper off cuts!!

    (one of the reasons I don't have net curtains, apart from fashion, I would have no excuse not washing them!!)
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I was told by one of those posh ladies on a made-to measure curtains department that most curtains should never be washed. She advised 'giving them a good blow' on the washing line if you felt that they needed refreshing. Good enough for me :D
    She quoted medieval tapestries as an example of items lasting longer by not being washed... :)

    Yes I do agree but only because I think the dust is the only thing holding my old curtains together and Im frightened they will disintegrate if taken down and washed:eek:
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    All my curtains say "dry clean only"???
    I sometimes wish I could just put them into a washing machine.. but paying £x for dry cleaning when they weren't that expensive to start off with seems like really stupid idea to me, I will rather buy new ones!

    There's something you can get where you put a packet into the tumble drier and it acts like a mini dry cleaner. I've used one from Lakeland to do Mr Maitane's suits a long while ago when I used to make sure he was the best dressed solicitor in court :D
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maitane wrote: »
    There's something you can get where you put a packet into the tumble drier and it acts like a mini dry cleaner. I've used one from Lakeland to do Mr Maitane's suits a long while ago when I used to make sure he was the best dressed solicitor in court :D

    yeah, but I think you need the tumble drier for it to work...:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards