edited 14 June 2010 at 3:08PM in In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
3.9K replies 403.3K views

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nesimsnew said:
    I had to buy a TV license as mum in care home now. Previously she free one. I didn't mind paying but was told can't have a direct debit installments as I didn't have a TV licence b4. Which of course I didn't cos mum's one covered the address!  So I had to put the whole payment on a credit card I use for emergencies.  I still don't know when or if  i can start installments for nxt time Which would b better
    I've not heard of them refusing installments before just because you are a new customer.

If you wait 6 months, and then contact them again, they should be able to start you off at Month 7 of the monthly payment scheme, with your first Licence already paid for.   
    ex Board Guide

• edited 30 September at 3:02PM
    LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September at 3:02PM
    I've not had a TVL for 12 years now and I have no plans of ever buying one. I don't care if my PC or phone has the capability to receive broadcasts therefore I must buy one which some folk on here think. I do not watched broadcast TV so will never buy one.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK said:
    I've not had a TVL for 12 years now and I have no plans of ever buying one. I don't care if my PC or phone has the capability to receive broadcasts therefore I must buy one which some folk on here think. I do not watched broadcast TV so will never buy one.
    And that is absolutely fine.  If you don't watch or record "live" TV, or use iPlayer, then you don't need one.
  • edited 30 September at 5:22PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September at 5:22PM
    LeeUK said:
    This is one of those cases where, although we give people due respect and allow them to state their opinions, they are factually wrong.  There is no requirement to buy a Licence unless you watch/record scheduled TV broadcasts or watch/download BBC TV programs from iPlayer.
    ex Board Guide

• _vexorg__vexorg_ Forumite
    7 Posts
    First Post
    If cancelling, do they need to be told you have no tv 'receiver' now, or can you just let it lapse?
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    _vexorg_ said: If cancelling, do they need to be told you have no tv 'receiver' now, or can you just let it lapse?
    No. You do not need to tell them anything. Nor do you need to fill in any forms to say you don't need a licence (online or paper). Just let the licence lapse and then just bin any letters with a DL98 1AT return post code - I don't even bother opening them now.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you phone TV licensing and tell them you are not doing anything which requires a license, then they will stop sending you letters.

1)  GIve them the reference number on the contact letter.

2) Tell them it's a courtesy call to let them know that no license is needed at your address. 

3)  When they ask for your contact details, tell them "I'm not a customer of the BBC, you do not need my personal data and you should not be storing it.  You can address me as Mr Occupier".

4)  When they ask you questions about your use of TV, iPlayer etc, tell them "no one is carrying out any activity at this address which requires a TV license".

Works for me.  Had a letter confirming they understand no license is required.  
  • aardvaakaardvaak Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have in the last few days decided because of the reporting of the fuel shortage to not renew my tv licence, cancel my sky subscription and do every thing online when my licence comes up for renewal, I really hope many others are thinking the same way.
  • edited 1 October at 2:07PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 October at 2:07PM
    Just to add that if your old Licence was paid for using Direct Debit or Cash Payment Plan then you need to contact TV Licensing to fully cancel.   The up-side of that is that if your account is up to date, then you will be due a refund of c. 6 months payments.

If you don't cancel these payment plans and just cancel the DD, then they will likely be treated as missed payments, and your account might be forwarded to Akinika - Capita's Debt Collection Agency.
    ex Board Guide

• Britannia12345Britannia12345 Forumite
    143 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    I'm going to cancel mine again. I had got rid of it but relented when the lockdown happened last year and my disabled partner couldn't leave the house for months on end. 
    Now we're paying stupid money just for me to watch Eastenders 😆

When is the best point in the month to cancel?