New Post Advanced Search

TV Licence article Discussion

3.7K replies 385.4K views

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a subtle but weaselly change to the wording in the latest TVL letter.

"Until we hear from you, this property will remain under investigation and you risk prosecution..."

Despite this "warning", it remains the case that you do not have to respond to TVL's efforts to make contact - not by post, not by email, not by phone and not in person.
    Ex Board Guide
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The one I got this morning still says "As long as this property remain unlicenced, our investigation will continue."
    Cheryl
  • JvstoneyJvstoney Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    What exactly is live tv? I  only watch tv for half hour or so in the morning after a nightshift, do i need a licence if i only watch itv +1? To me this is not live, maybe im wrong. 
  • nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure it’s live otherwise the BBC would find some way of stopping +1.
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jvstoney said:
    What exactly is live tv? I  only watch tv for half hour or so in the morning after a nightshift, do i need a licence if i only watch itv +1? To me this is not live, maybe im wrong. 
    "Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music."
    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ95
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jvstoney said:
    If it's from ITV+1's broadcast then it needs a Licence.   If you were to watch the same content as Catch Up then it wouldn't need a Licence.
    Ex Board Guide
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been grumbling about the BBC and considering stopping the license for a couple of years, but kept renewing in the end.  My license expires in 3 weeks and I'm so hacked off with the BBC I'm not prepared to give them any more of my money.

For entertainment, we mainly watch Netflix.  I like watching PMQs and some Commons debates, and Cornuopia mentioned some time ago that I can see these at https://parliamentlive.tv/Commons 

But is there anywhere where you can find up to date news bulletins on demand?  I know Sky News app has snippets, some are recent, but some are really old.  If not, I will start getting my news from the radio.
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C said:
    But is there anywhere where you can find up to date news bulletins on demand?  I know Sky News app has snippets, some are recent, but some are really old.  If not, I will start getting my news from the radio.
    I catch the news on the radio while I'm eating breakfast.    I'll then check news websites (BBC, Sky or elsewhere) if someone posts something about a story on FB or in a forum I'm a member of that makes me want to find out more.   My fella and daughter will send me a text, email or FB message if they hear about/see something they think may be of interest to me, as they know I only get the radio headlines a couple of times in the mornings.   I'm currently subscribed to a newpaper website (was the best way for me to keep up to date with the pandemic news - first few months free, and when I went to cancel they offered me 12 months at a vastly reduced rate which I accepted).   I'm also subscribed to a few daily emails from newspaper sites (one is the site I'm paying for, one is a competitor of theirs, and the third is a local paper) which give me snippets and headlines I can follow up on.

Cheryl
  • JvstoneyJvstoney Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    Personnally i think the licence should be scrapped and if they dont want us to watch then they should encrypt it, make it a subscription. 200million plus every month in licence fees and they have the cheek to put it up by £3 and charge an administration cost of £5 if you pay in installments. 
  • edited 12 July at 1:09PM
    20102010 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 July at 1:09PM
    The over 75`s have started a campaign to disrupt TV licensing by asking people to cancel their DD and pay by cheque.
    Also to inform TVL that they will only respond / communicate with them by post.
    The idea is to "gum up the works" and make the BBC rethink the free licence.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1308079/TV-license-row-free-TV-licences-axed-bbc

Furious older viewers plan to paralyse the Beeb's system by cancelling direct debits and standing orders and paying by cheque instead.