🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• iancarbarns
    iancarbarns Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimmyjoe7 wrote: »
    What if you only watch/record catch up channels...would a licence be required then??

If you watch or record something as it is broadcast, you need a licence. That includes watching or recording a channel which happen to be broadcasting the same thing as was broadcast an hour ago, just as it includes watching or recording 'Repeats'.

The kind of 'Catch-up' that is permitted is when it is something that is being sent only to you (ie, not to everyone simultaneously). So you can watch iPlayer or ITV player etc AS LONG AS IT IS NOT SHOWING LIVE TV.

Bottom line: Watching 'Channel X + 1' needs a licence.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The kind of 'Catch-up' that is permitted is when it is something that is being sent only to you (ie, not to everyone simultaneously). So you can watch iPlayer or ITV player etc AS LONG AS IT IS NOT SHOWING LIVE TV.

Bottom line: Watching 'Channel X + 1' needs a licence.
    I'd assumed the poster meant something like iPlayer which doesn't require, which is why I queried the possibility of recording it. I suppose I should/could have noted that in my reply :)

I've never classed +1 channels as 'catch up' - they're just additional channels to my mind.
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not generally possible to record Catch-up programmes, as such.

iPlayer and All4 have limited download capabilities so you can watch something after you have downloaded it (to economise on bandwidth, for example).

There is also the unofficial "get_iplayer" which has the capability to create recordings.

I wouldn't consider either of those options to require a licence.

We also need to be careful about rushing to conclusions about what happens when a programme is being watched via catch-up whilst the repeat is being shown live. This is not the same as watching live - the version of the programme that YOU are watching is still the streamed version. The whole point of the "live broadcast" rule is as a proxy definition for the technology being used, it is not an end in itself.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    Options
    No they don't. Installing is defined as installing, and there is even a special exemption for installation engineers, so they are not committing an offence if they install for a customer. The customer needs the licence. It is all VERY clear in the law.

TVL might choose to not chase you up if you don't watch, that's up to them, but it is still an offence to install.

Wrong...

Communications act 2003
    368/3 Meanings of “television receiver” and “use”, References in this Part to using a television receiver are references to using it for receiving television programmes.
    Communications act 2004
    Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), “television receiver” means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.
  • Deva2005
    Deva2005 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I apologise if this is in the wrong place!

We have been in a situation whereby, due to unemployment and lack of funds, we did not pay our TV licence from January 2015.

We have been treatened now with being taken to court, and to curb our stress levels, we went online to buy a new licence and pay quarterly.

Now Capita have emailed us saying that due to not paying for 5 months, they will not accept quarterly payments, and we need to pay weekly by calling them, catch up on the outstanding amount then they will 'consider' allowing payment by quarterly DDM.

As we have offered a payment method convenient to use, and they have refused this, does any one know where this legally leaves us?

I would be grateful for any feedback and advice.

Many thanks
    David
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    Options
    I apologise if this is in the wrong place!

We have been in a situation whereby, due to unemployment and lack of funds, we did not pay our TV licence from January 2015.

We have been treatened now with being taken to court, and to curb our stress levels, we went online to buy a new licence and pay quarterly.

Now Capita have emailed us saying that due to not paying for 5 months, they will not accept quarterly payments, and we need to pay weekly by calling them, catch up on the outstanding amount then they will 'consider' allowing payment by quarterly DDM.

As we have offered a payment method convenient to use, and they have refused this, does any one know where this legally leaves us?

I would be grateful for any feedback and advice.

Many thanks
    David

what have you signed or told them?

If you have signed/told them you have been watching since Jan, the balls are all in their court, you need to work with them, or they could turn nasty and take you to court for not having a licence and admitting to it.

I would take their offer.
  • Deva2005
    Options
    Thanks for your reply,

We have not engaged with them at all, we have not spoken to them, and not admitted anything.

They send us a letter threatening court, and, as I said, to avoid further stress we tried to apply for the licence.

I don't know if you have any further advice / guidance?

Thanks again
    David
  • Cornucopia
    edited 25 May 2015 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Was it this letter threatening Court?

Letter%20-%20March%202014.jpg

That's a standard letter, and its just a coincidence that you received it when it appeared to be significant.

On the instalment plan, I think Sniggings is right - I have a feeling that payment by instalments is an additional concession, and that the licence actually falls due in full on the date it starts. Quarterly payments cost more, anyway, so it's not a very MSE approach.

For the benefit of MSE's lawyers, I should probably say: don't watch TV broadcasts without a licence - either get one, or don't watch the broadcasts (use catch-up instead).
  • Deva2005
    Options
    Yes, this the exact letter we received, scared the hell out of us!

What I do't get is that we have offered the quarterly, i know it is not very MSE, but for us it works.

However, they have refused to accept this, so what should we do, let them take us to court and then say to the judge that we offered to pay and they refused?

Thanks
    David
  • Cornucopia
    edited 25 May 2015 at 9:24PM
    Options
    If that was the letter, it just comes out at random to unlicensed premises. There is no significance in it.

Like we've said, I don't think you can insist on payment by instalments. If you don't like their attitude, and you need a licence, buy one in full. I've never heard of them declining payment by instalments before, so I can't really comment further.

Alternatively, give up the TV broadcasts and watch whatever you want, when you want using catch-up. That way you won't need a Licence at all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure