TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Caparn wrote: »
    The person who was prosecuted there was the TV license official. He even probably had a TV license.

You're missing my point.

Innocent people (one of whom didn't even own a TV) were being prosecuted, due to falsified statements, concocted by a commission driven salesman.
  • andalusi
    andalusi Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I am moving to the UK. My husband is 81 so I understand we don´t need to have a TV license. Do I have to get in touch with the licensing authority and ask for exemption or do I just not apply? Tx
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I believe you need to apply for one in his name, but tell them during the process that he's 75 or older.
    Cheryl
  • ChrisRhysWilliams
    Options
    I strongly object to this site promoting this method of avoiding the TV licence - it may be legal but it is not acceptable and not what I'd expect from a site that has had my respect up until this point. It is comparable to giving people advise on tax avoidance - if we all did it, there'd be no Government income to pay NHS, etc and in this case there'd be no BBC. At less than 50p per day the BBC is incredible value despite the Tories restrictions on increases in the licence fee in recent years. Come on Martin Lewis, have some moral fibre!
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    it may be legal but it is not acceptable
    Why isn't it acceptable?
    Would you pay Sky if you weren't using their services? Or Virgin? Or Netflix or Lovefilm? Or any of the other companies who can provide you with viewing material for a fee?
    I certainly wouldn't, so I don't see why I should pay the BBC for services I don't use from them.
    (And for the record, I don't use iPlayer either as I have no interest in any of the programmes they have on there)
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2015 at 9:30PM
    Options
    I would simply say: that's the Law, and if people don't like it there are various ways to lobby to get it changed. Having said that, I don't consider broadcasting to be sufficiently important that we would allow a pro-BBC majority (if it exists) to dictate to a BBC-ambivalent minority.

Anyone reading this and other LF-related threads on MSE and elsewhere can't have failed to notice that TV Licensing (a part of the BBC) has a very poor reputation. My resolve to continue to remain without a Licence (within the Law) has only been strengthened by that poor attitude expressed towards me, personally, and to other people.
  • peter_fenwick
    Options
    Ive been without a tv licence for 2yrs now. The letters kept coming through my door, but I was not watching live broadcast, just using internet, watching catch up, bbc iplayer, itv player, lots of programmes and films on youtube etc. but I was uneasy about wether I might be doing it wrong and fall for a fine. After some time I decided to let one of the callers at the house come in to check ( I had not let him come in previously and he couldnt get a warrant as my arial wire was cut off outside the house). He said I dont need a tv licence. Once you get used to it, its better than watching live broadcast, no more waiting a few days or a week to see the next episode for many programmes. watch them at YOUR leisure whenever you want, not only at their time of broadcast, and the licence fee paid for the internet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 May 2015 at 9:48PM
    Options
    I strongly object to this site promoting this method of avoiding the TV licence

It's a money saving site, hence it's advising people how to save money.
    It is comparable to giving people advise on tax avoidance

Tax avoidance is legal.

BTW. Do you object to people avoiding paying VED, by not driving a car?
  • peter_fenwick
    Options
    its NOT avoiding the licence, its just not NEEDING one
  • iancarbarns
    iancarbarns Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martin, I am ashamed of you for item 6! The law is quite clear that you DO need a licence if you install or intend to install a TV, even if you never watch it, or never watch live TV.

The Communications Act 2003 Section 363 states:
    363 - Licence required for use of TV receiver

(1)A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.
    (2)A person who installs or uses a television receiver in contravention of subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.
    (3)A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—
    (a)intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or
    (b)knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,is guilty of an offence.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback