New Post Advanced Search

Don't just throw them away...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
144 replies 35.8K views

Replies

• ellas9602ellas9602 Forumite
    721 posts
    ✭✭
    Im going t be really honest and admit to not recycling very much in the past other than putting the obvious things in the green bin . I've been reading through this thread today at work and have come home to challenge our family recycling. I've pinned a big notice in the kitchen telling everybody in the house what goes where and I've just made some plant pots out of milk cartons. I dont have a composter. Can I put kitchen waste in a black bag in the garden to make compost?
  • jomary85jomary85 Forumite
    11 posts
    You could make a cheap composter with something like chicken wire. Make two rectangular cages each about 18" -2ft square and 30" high -supporting each corner with canes or poles. Layer the kitchen waste with grass cuttings and a bit of newspaper and when one side is full leave it to rot down and start on the other side. keep the heaps covered with old carpet piece to retain heat . Avoid putting on perennial weeds because you may not generate enough heat to rot them down. Also watch out for the produce from the odd passing horse or go to local stables. If it does not rot enough add some pee (recycled drink- the ultimate in recycling)
  • DobieDobie Forumite
    580 posts
    ellas9602 wrote:
    I dont have a composter. Can I put kitchen waste in a black bag in the garden to make compost?

I'm no expert & I'm sure someone else will answer this better than I can but I think a compost heap has to 'breathe'. I think it'll just go slimy in a black plastic bag.

What I'm struggling to understand is why, when I recycle everything I can think of - plastic, cans, glass, paper, I compost kitchen waste & appropriate garden waste & green bin the woodier stuff, I use my own shopping bags at the supermarket & only take the minimum packaging, I still manage to fill the wheelie bin every 2 weeks? There's only the 2 of us & a dog!
  • cafcfancafcfan Forumite
    109 posts
    Anyone know what to do with expanded polystyrene packaging? Can it be recycled in any way. There's only so many chips you can put in the bottom of flower pots!! Also, its not so much the small stuff, I use it as packaging. It's the big pieces that come with large items such as our new computer.
    Are those shopping bags you're carrying really bags of debt???
  • mogginsmoggins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    cafcfan wrote:
    Anyone know what to do with expanded polystyrene packaging? Can it be recycled in any way. There's only so many chips you can put in the bottom of flower pots!! Also, its not so much the small stuff, I use it as packaging. It's the big pieces that come with large items such as our new computer.

I don't know what to do with the big pieces either but I save the small ones to make up hampers at christmas. They all go into a bin bag and get put in the cellar until christmas time, then all the BOGOFs from boots get put into a nice little basket with some packing and voila mum and MIL get some lovely smelly hampers that haven't cost me anything :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • rubix_76rubix_76 Forumite
    216 posts
    cafcfan wrote:

Don't know if this still applies, but you used to risk releasing CFCs (you know from the aerosol scare) if you broke up ploystyerene.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Rubix
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • mb20goomb20goo Forumite
    31 posts
    Luiz wrote:
    And now we can recycle cardboard too which is great.
    Luiz

Unfortunately, our local council doesn't accept cardboard for recycling. Neither does it accept envelopes - not even just the plane ones with no plastic window on it. Our normal bin is emptied every second week and it is normally overflowing, but the majority of it is probably cardboard. Also I don't drive and don't really fancy trailing it all down to the local recycling plant.
    Valli wrote:
    Incidentally although I try not to collect carrier bags inevitably I do end up with some. I can take them into Somerfield where they are collected for recycling. Anyone know who else takes them for recycling?

Our local Tesco have a big recycling bin at their front door for recycling carrier bags and I believe it isn't restricted to their own carriers.

We cut the tops off of the milk bottle cartons and use them for the used tea bags. We keep them next to the kettle so you don't have a messy trail across to the bin either.

We use supermarket bags as bin bags and for cleaning up after the dog too. Some really brilliant ideas on this forum - wd every1... :T :A

Thanks
  • CacranCacran Forumite
    512 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    I am puzzled!!!!!! Why are all the 'in' and 'the' words in red.?is very distracting. There must be a reason, I guess but I can't imagine what.
    Keep on trucking!
  • redballoon_2redballoon_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Save your tumble dreyer fluff and put it out for the birds when they start making thier nests so they can make comfortable nests!
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this sounds like the bleedin' obvious but I recently bought a small, cheap electric paper shredder. Now even stuff which has personal details on can go in the recycle bag. I also bring all my work's junk mail and even used till rolls home for recycling.

Check that shredded paper is accepted by your local council (or whatever). Mine won't accept shredded paper saying that it can clog the paper sorting machinery and bring it to a halt.