Don't just throw them away...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
144 replies 35.8K views

Replies

• in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    toozie - are you my son/daughter? Sounds just like me!
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • toozie_2toozie_2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    toozie - are you my son/daughter? Sounds just like me!

Not cost effevtive for my parents to have a PC!!!!!!! So can't be!
    Not like their wasteful daughter!
    :j
  • DragonDosh wrote:
    Teabags: but in a pot with lemon juice, lemon rind and pepper (corns as well as ground) leave to stand with a lid on: makes an OK cat deterrent if you spread the resultant bags and erm ... goo ... around the area. Plus it's biodegradeable.
    A single drop of olbas oil on an old teabag is good too.

Cats are creatures of habit so anything you can do to break the habit is good. They also like to reuse sites so on gravel etc where there are no plants, watering a dilute disinfectant or bleach solution over the area sometimes helps.
    The children's water pistol is also quite effective if you are quick enough!
    DragonDosh wrote:
    Pringles lids: can be used as make-shift lids for small pots in the microwave or fridge.
    Also useful for standing small pots of cuttings on.

The cartons are also an ideal size for storing the children's plastic straws in. (after a good wash up obviously!!!)
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • rubix_76rubix_76 Forumite
    216 posts
    They also like to reuse sites so on gravel etc where there are no plants, watering a dilute disinfectant or bleach solution over the area sometimes helps.

The children's water pistol is also quite effective if you are quick enough!

We found Bicarbonate of soda gets rid of the smell of cat wee !! unlike all the products for sale that claim they do !!

Tried the water pistol trick, and our cat just ran away, and it didn't stop her going back to the same spot. Anyway she like s water (weird I know) as she is mostly white and she always used to get covered in dark dirt, like oil and so from a very young age she got used to being given a bath, she just got used to it. although we haven't given her a batch in ages and she's 4 now.

Rubix
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • gentlepurrgentlepurr Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mentioned this before, but still a useful tip for anyone who's missed it. plant seedlings in eggshells (use the egg box to keep them upright) then gently tap the shells to crack them, and plant straight out still in the shells. added bonemeal with no cost or effort!

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • ArilAril Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    At one point I used to do voluntary work for our local museum and they will often accept things of social interest- we had one of the old laptops donated whilst I was there and I hadn't realised how huge they used to be as well as a selection of good condition 1980s clothing. I myself donated a cardigan my great grandmother had knitted in the 1940s and a 1920s dress that I bought on a whim a few years previously [wouldn't happen now!!] as I knew I would never wear it and I wasn't storing it properly.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • josiejosie Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHONA wrote:
    We've started using grease proof paper instead of plastic sandwich bags, much better for the environment, but I love the cereal packet idea best, def going to start doing this, and the envelopes in the bin.

I always used to use sandwich bags, but now find if the sandwiches are in a sealed tupperware, or even better re-used ice cream box then you don't even need greaseproof paper or a bag - they keep perfectly fresh without anything.

I often reuse paper from work, by turning it over and feeding back through the printer, although made easier as I share a printer with one other person and it overlaps both our desks.

Josie
  • hilary1hilary1 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    We try and recycle everything in our house - had 10 of us for a week over the new year and only threw out 1/2 a black bin bag!!!

Was really annoyed then to see neighbours with only a couple and them having about half a dozen bin bags (urghh!) :mad:

Constantly trying to convert anybody I know to recycle, but find people are so apathetic - usually saying it takes too much effort (urghh!) :mad:

If there was one thing I wish the government would tax people on, would be the amount of rubbish bags they put outside their houses coz it's the only tax I know I could save on!! :j It might also make people sit up and start thinking very seriously about recycling.

Mind you, the companies also need to be taken to task about the amount of extra in their packaging - just thinking about easter and the amount of plastic for a tiny egg (urghh!) :mad:

Well done to everybody on this thread who are ardent re-cyclers - I have learnt a few more things and will be actively putting them into use asap :T :T

I'm sure i saw it on tv last week that some town some where is going to tax people on the amount of bin bags they put out.

but will it mean that people will put it outside one of their neighbours or dump it somewhere else?

perhaps towns should run recycling workshops for people
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • josiejosie Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jomary85 wrote:
    Plastic milk carton tops red, blue, green can go to Naomi House Hospice near WInchester for fundraising http://www.naomihouse.org.uk/

I'd like to think this is a genuine one, but have heard of several people who have ended up with bin bags full of milk tops and the whole thing has been a hoax, sad but true...

http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/walkers-hoax.htm#bottletops

Josie
  • poppycrackerpoppycracker Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    allym316 wrote:
    If the oil can be made to solidify you can store it in containers and put it out for the birds as fat balls. This is good for them and cheaper than calling out drain cleaners as this gunge regularly clogs our drains and sewers

We also add any fat that drips out of sausages/ burgers etc from the electic grill gadget (she says not wanting to advertise that famous one cos asda do one half that price)

Yes, I used to do that, and heat it up in an old pan with some oats. The birds loved it.
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel