PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Which Kitchen Scales ?

Options

Comments

• midnightraven3
    Options
    i guess i could, it just seemed a faff!
    i have my new ones now, and i have to say, VERY easy to use
    i use scales everyday as i bake bread,

I still have the scales, seems a shame, but would anyone really want to be putting the battery in and out each time, its a wee flat disk battery it takes,
    If someone wanted them to try them, and trusted me with their address, i would happily post them on
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bumping this back up....does anyone else seem to go through multiple sets of digital scales? Our latest set of Salter scales (from John Lewis, flat and black) have stopped measuring accurately. We've tried several new batteries but they now just display random amounts which is very irritating. We haven't had these more than 2 years and I think that's 3 sets of scales in 5 years that have done the same thing!

I think we're going to go back to "needle" scales until I can track down a set of balance scales.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    I think we're going to go back to "needle" scales until I can track down a set of balance scales.
    best balance scales around WeyluxQueen

I've had mine for donkey's years & they're still going strong, no batteries, no parts to go wrong & a compartment for leadshot (supplied with mine) to re-balance them if need be (I've never had to)

a great investment & worth every penny imho :)
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    probably get slaughtered for this - but! I was cajoled into buyong some WW digital fancy scales that calculated when your cars MOT was due ( not literally but I hope you get the picture!) they stopped working after 6 months, battery change didnt work. I have an old set of oz / kg slide the base around to suit the measurement you want, that have been dropped /thrown / washed / put through a warzone and never fail! Might not be quite accurate anymore but if thats the case then they are not quite accurate universally and most things work!
    Manual over technical every time!
    I also procured a set of digi weighing scales for people, which turned out to weigh half a stone light! Fine till you discover the reality, didnt have the heart to tell guests!
    Manual over techno every time for me!
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    Swan wrote: »
    best balance scales around WeyluxQueen

I've had mine for donkey's years & they're still going strong, no batteries, no parts to go wrong & a compartment for leadshot (supplied with mine) to re-balance them if need be (I've never had to)

a great investment & worth every penny imho :)

They look fantastic!! I've just sent the link to hubby and suggested that he might like them for his birthday next week :rotfl: He's the baker of the family and he's the one that is moaning about the scales so I think he'll like the idea (you've gotta love a man who will be happy with scales for this birthday!).

They also do them in British Racing Green :T

I was going to hunt the car boot sale but maybe I'll let him have a treat!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

• Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    jexygirl wrote: »
    Might not be quite accurate anymore but if thats the case then they are not quite accurate universally and most things work!
    Manual over technical every time!

This is the big problem with all of the digi scales that I've had...when they fail become completely erratic! Hubby was breadmaking yesterday and they told him that 1.5k of flour was only 1k! :eek:
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    They look fantastic!! I've just sent the link to hubby and suggested that he might like them for his birthday next week :rotfl: He's the baker of the family and he's the one that is moaning about the scales so I think he'll like the idea (you've gotta love a man who will be happy with scales for this birthday!).

They also do them in British Racing Green :T

I was going to hunt the car boot sale but maybe I'll let him have a treat!
    WOW! lucky you :) if you ever get fed up of him, send him my way ;):D

you might be able to find them a bit cheaper if you shop around (they're also sold for education & catering) but I've noticed them on some sites at £80-90 :eek:

pre-Weylux days I once spotted a set of old greengrocer's balance scales in a second hand shop, couldn't make my mind up & went off to think about it & when I went back they were gone :( been kicking myself ever since

PS ... they're also very finely balanced & accurate
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    I have a set of balance scales that I bought Christmas 1985 with some money I was given. They have a brass pan, and both imperial & metric weights, and are admired by everyone who sees them sititng on our worktop. I wouldn't bother with any other type of scales, as I find these are fab.
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    Swan wrote: »
    WOW! lucky you :) if you ever get fed up of him, send him my way ;):D

you might be able to find them a bit cheaper if you shop around (they're also sold for education & catering) but I've noticed them on some sites at £80-90 :eek:
    /QUOTE]

Well he gets better, when offered the chance to order them he said "why don't we wait and see if we can pick some up at the car boot sale in a few weeks!"....

Trouble is, I've fallen in love with the beautifully British Racing Green and brass scales....
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

• bex2010
    bex2010 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    The Queen balance scales are lovely - I'm after the white ones with the stainless steel pan. Don't know if you know but they are manufactured by H Fereday & sons and you can find them on Amazon under this name at around £60. There's also a really useful website with info on the main manufacturers of kitchen scales that might be worth a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure