Savings Accounts: Instant Access Discussion

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
This discussion relates to the following article

Instant Access Savings: Maximise your interest

To ask a question or discuss, click reply
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Bilk
    Bilk Posts: 36 Forumite
    Hello All

We are hopefully going to sell our house soon and will be renting after that for a while (work will be paying the rent). I will have about £250k to invest. What I would like to know is the best place to put this for aprox 4 months where I can still get at it when I need if for our next purchase

Thanks

Bilk
  • I HAVE ABOUT £8000 I WANT TO PUT IN A SAVINGS ACCOUNT UNTIL NEXT SPRING WHEN I NEED TO USE IT. WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PUT THIS MONEY
  • Shinds
    Shinds Posts: 448 Forumite
    Bilk,

Bradford & Bingley and EGG are offering good rates on their savings account at the mo.

B&B is 5.5% Gross pa (for the 1st 6 months as they're offering a 0.25% bonus for the 1st 6 months)

and if you take monthly interest the rate is 5.38%.

Worth a look I'd say :)

Rough calculation - u'll approximately get £880 interest a month (after 20% tax) for a 30 day month - If u went with the Bradford & Bingley and went for monthly interest)
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    What about Cahoot's saving account? Have they dropped their rate without me noticing? I thought it was 5.5%
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My mistake, it's 5.65% at Cahoot, but only if you opened your account between June and September :P
  • Bilk
    Bilk,

Bradford & Bingley and EGG are offering good rates on their savings account at the mo.

B&B is 5.5% Gross pa (for the 1st 6 months as they're offering a 0.25% bonus for the 1st 6 months)

and if you take monthly interest the rate is 5.38%.

Worth a look I'd say :)

Rough calculation - u'll approximately get £880 interest a month (after 20% tax) for a 30 day month - If u went with the Bradford & Bingley and went for monthly interest)

Blow me £880 a month :o It shows my ignorance as was expecting nothing near that. Your right that is worth a really good look :D

Thanks a lot

Bilk
  • Shinds
    Shinds Posts: 448 Forumite
    Bilk,

You could pay ur motgage with £880 a month - LOL
  • Bilk
    Your not wrong, me thinks work might be paying the rent for longer than they thought at that return ;)

Now I just need to sell the house :-[
  • david78
    david78 Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    I am looking at opening a new Egg account to get their new 6months 5.5% deal.

However, I already have an account with them. I'm currently on their old 5.5% deal but this expires early in November (10 days to go or so) and the account then drops to 4.75% (at current BoE rate).

I know Martin says there's nothing in the T&Cs which stop me opening a second account. But has anybody actually ever done this with Egg -- either with this new deal or one of their other ones?

If I can do it, I plan to move my money first to my ING account, then open the new Egg account, and then move everything back to the new Egg account.
  • did this yesterday.... online just opened another account ... was confirmed and set up immediately... then transferred the balance in the exsisting account into the new one .. and did a secure email to them asking them to close the original one .. received email from them this morning confirming all done.

5.5% for next 6 months .. or until something better comes along !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure