PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bubble and squeak

Options

Comments

• hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I have mashed potato and cabbage left over from dinner last night, and want to make bubble and squeak/other such thing. However dinner is roast pork chops &beetroot done in oven so would like to cook it in oven, rather than fry it. Can I just stick in a cake tin and roast for 30mins or so? I also have a small oven-proof frying pan if you think that would be better(would probably prefer to use if possible, dont fancy cabbage tasting cakes if I use the tin :eek:)
    Any ideas?
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I would form it into patties, fry them BRIEFLY in quite hot oil, just for colour and then finish them off in the oven on a baking tray.
  • Mum_of_Boys
    Options
    I always fry my bubble and squeak in butter in a pan on the hob. Maybe you could melt some butter using your frying pan in the oven and then dot some more butter on the top. Half way through cooking, give it a mix. Maybe not a healthy option but certainly a tasty one biggrin.gif
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    I was really lazy and just pushed it into a buttered frying pan and stuck in oven for 20 mins, then added finely sliced onion for 10mins before finishing with a little grated cheese. Was delicious! Probably not bubble & squeak but very very very tasty! :D
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    would bubble and squeak be as nice formed in a cake? Is it not better rustic?
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    it wasn't really cake-like TBH, was more squished into frying pan so I didn't have to use very leccy-hungry ceramic hob, one big slab of tastiness :beer:
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to love bubble & squeak the way my mum did it but everytime I try it just ends up a soggy/oilly mess:confused:

Can anyone help me out with your recipes or hints on how to turn out a lovely slightly crispy brown bubble & squeak?:beer:
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Psykicpup,

There's an earlier thread with lots of recipes that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    reading back on the previous page I think I made the same mistake a SP!
    too much oil & too quick & not hot enough! Will give it another go tonight to go with the left over meat from Sunday

ps Thanks Pinkwinged ! I searched the Index Collections with no joy....
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • tudorfan22
    Options
    wow, bubble and squeak my dads favourite - i have some left over mash and cabbage so im gonna make some tonight - havent had B+S since i was little - im only 27 but i shall keep the tradition alive!!
    )

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills