PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bubble and squeak

Options

Comments

• studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I would have a go at bubble and squeak after the thread (but I can find original thread).

I did it in Olive oil but it did not go brown and it fell apart-- any ideas where I went wrong.
    :beer:
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Pan not hot enough? Did you add grated cheese?
  • studentphil
    Options
    tr3mor wrote:
    Pan not hot enough? Did you add grated cheese?

There was no chesse in it.
  • skintlass
    skintlass Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you don't need cheese for bubble and squeak. oil and a hot pan should be enough
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • studentphil
    Options
    Do you think so much oil in the pan could make it really soft rather than brown
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Well, how much oil did you use Phil ? You need enough to film the surface of the frying pan. You also need it fairly hot and you need to leave the mixture alone to develop a brown crust by itself. It won't work if you continually mix it about ;)
  • studentphil
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    Well, how much oil did you use Phil ? You need enough to film the surface of the frying pan. You also need it fairly hot and you need to leave the mixture alone to develop a brown crust by itself. It won't work if you continually mix it about ;)

More than covering the bottom of the pan more like shallow fry.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Bit too much then ;)
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had bubble and squeak tonight - fried it in Fry light and worked a treat.

The only other way to get it brown in my experience is to use a bit of butter rather than oil. Even if you use too much, it cooks itself away and has the desired result in the end.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Instead of doing bubble and squeak, I make 'tattie cakes' - use old mashed tattie and chopped up leftover veg - add an egg, make into pattie shapes, coat in flour and shallow fry - the egg binds it so there is no problem with it breaking up.

I use one egg for abut 8 patties, so you might need to use a part of an egg for less?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure