PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bubble and squeak

Options

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    My mixture isn't exactly 'bubble and squeak' but goes down a treat!

Naturally, you need left over potatoes (mash and roast will both work), lots of left over veggies (preferably cabbage/sprouts and carrots), some meat from the remains of a joint (beef,lamb,chicken - whatever), left-over stuffing if you have any, a small amount of gravy if possible and an onion (or two) for extra flavour.

Preheat your grill.

Mix the mash and roasties (chopped up first) in a very large bowl and then add the veggies - mashing everything together as I go. Add the stuffing and then the meat cut up into small pieces.

Fry an onion (or two) in the largest frying pan that you have. Add the rest of the ingredients - a bit at a time if necessary. What you are aiming for is to get everything warmed through and mixed with the onion.

As it all gets warmed through, transfer into a roasting tin till it's all in there. Give it all another thorough mix and press into the tin using a fork.

Turn the grill down to medium and place the roasting tin under the grill - preferably on the bottom of the grill area. Keep checking on it! When it's beginning to brown remove it and turn it all over so that the bottom bits are now on the top. Press it back down neatly using a fork so that you have roughened surface and put back under the grill for a bit longer. When it's nicely crisped on top and beginning to brown (but not TOO much) it's done!

Serve with some chutney, pickled red cabbage, beetroot or whatever relish you have to hand!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I always mix grated cheese (tasty cheddar) with mine, then top with sliced tomato and more cheese, and heat through in the oven.

It probably isn't kosher bubble & squeak but it is nice and is a meal in itself, served with crusty bread and butter. Black pepper can help to bring out the flavour too.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• soappie
    soappie Posts: 6,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For it to be really successful, it has to chill overnight. (My dear departed Dad taught me that). Use mashed potato and cooked cabbage. Mix them up in a small bowl and then press down together really well making it as compacted as possible. Then fry it gently in oil the next morning until heated through. Yum
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life
  • paddy's_mum
    Options
    I add a generous slosh of worcestershire sauce to mine and find it helps to boost the flavour no end. (Mine usually ends up more as a stirred mixture than a patty, too!)
  • Redrose
    Redrose Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Potatos, cabbage, and sprouts = bubble and squeak = had these left over from last night

My problem is what do i do to go with it

Any idea

Di
    Hoping that when I start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves :j
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Options
    Eggs? Bacon? Ham? Baked Beans?

Still thinking...
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Options
    Any pickles left from Chrimbo?
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depending on how much there is, you don't need anything but ketchup!
    Otherwise sausages, bacon, fried egg, anything you like, really.
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll come round at eight o'clock:j
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Redrose,

It's lovely with grilled bacon. There's an older thread on bubble and squeak that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family