Best Hoover for dog hair/fur (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• bigup7
    bigup7 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bozzy thank you so much :)

looks like no vacuum got higher then 71%, i will have a look into them :)
  • trigger_mike
    trigger_mike Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    I had a dyson and it was a lot of poo, keep falling to bit and never sucked anything up, i went out and got a Henry a month ago from amazon for £79.99 (gone up now), Thats a lot better, though it's a bit to powerful and sucks the carpet up.
    Great on cat fur though.
  • samh_2
    samh_2 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    I can really recommend the Miele Cat & Dog. It is expensive, but it's worth every penny for the hours is saves me trying to get the long silky fur up that my 2 cavaliers drop everywhere! We've had 2 dysons and whilst they were much better than the cheap electrolux we had 15 years ago, having used the Miele I'd never go back to a dyson.

Sam
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    OK I have ordered the Cat and Dog, and will report on it when it arrives (5 working days ... in theory) - thanks for all the advice!
  • squibbs25
    squibbs25 Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too have a very faithful friend HENRY.
    Whatever mess either us, kids or dog has made (i'm sure dog would win moulting competition! LOL), dear old HENRY is awlays happy to help out!
    Great on any flooring, long hose.
    Couldn't be without him.
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
    :Axxxxxxxxx:A
    our new editions
    Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT
  • leesmithg
    leesmithg Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    Eels100 wrote:
    Hi folks, hope you can help.

We've just bought our first home so money is tight, and I decided on the cheapest hoover I could find because there just hasn't been cash for anything better (£40 teeny cylinder).

But it's rubbish, it doesn't pick up anything, the only way it lifts hair is if you use the head to scrub the carpet then pick the hairs out of that every minute or two! So, more fool me - you obviously get what you (don't!) pay for when it comes to hoovers! OH is threatening to go and buy a Dyson which will probably be a couple of hundred quid and that's really more than I think we ought to spend. SO I thought I'd come and ask here for any recommendations.

I'd rather pay the extra money and have something that works than fall into the false economy trap for a second time, but I would like to know if there are any moneysaving equivalents to the pricey Dyson? I have a cylinder in my head because our house is only small and uprights seem so heavy and awkward when cleaning stairs, BUT I'm open to any suggestions. With 2 dogs and 2 cats we're living in a furry wonderland!

One word.

'Henry'.
  • aurora_borealis_2
    aurora_borealis_2 Posts: 13,477 Forumite
    Options
    What the heck is that mouse doing? :confused:
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • parkside_stroller
    Options
    bozzy - the only thing I would add to your cut and paste from Which? is that the Dysons always fall down on reliabability but generally score fairly well elsewhere.

I've just bought my second upright Dyson (motor went on other one a DC04 after about 2 years but went on to last another 4 years). First was poor on pet hair (cats) but I liked it - have to say it was performing worse over last 2 years (but again I wonder if it didn't like the cat hair).

The one I've just bought is the upright DC14 animal - it is the business and I got around the potential for it going wrong by buying from John Lewis. There was a 2 year warranty on the machine but due to a special offer I got a 5 years (no extra cost) warranty, only had to send away the leaflet they gave me with the machine.
    The special offer ran until the 22nd (I think) of June but I bought it the day after it should have finished and was told it was being extended until the same date in July 2006.

As far as the OP is concerned, I know this isn't a direct answer to your post but thought it might be of some use to anyone considering the Dyson.

My last Dyson felt heavier than this one and it was rotten on stairs. I haven't tried it yet on stairs but my wife said its fine (long reaching hose).
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    :j
    Got my Miele Cat and Dog this morning at work (never been so keen to get home and do housework!) - fantastic service from John Lewis.com, considering I ordered it on Saturday night and it's only Tuesday, so thanks Cristy!

Got home and got it out of the box and fired it up, complete with all the mega attachments and brushes, which seem very solid and hardwearing. It's LOADS quieter than the 1500W Morphy Richards Bumper Crapsucker I have just now, and it's SO much lighter than the cumbersome Dyson's I've wrestled with in the past.

And the suction - just AMAZING, one pass and the carpet is actually a different colour, I swear you'd think it had been properly cleaned. It's absolutely fab, I'm delighted with it, (barring a missing spare filter which I am sure the lovely man at John Lewis will get sent to me pronto), and I would heartily recommend it to anyone :T

Massive thank yous to everyone who advised and recommended - you're all wonderful!:D

(Who knew a hoover could make one so happy ...!?!?) :o
  • Damian_T
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Sorry for reviving an old thread (I tried the search facility but nowt came up!), but I'm wondering if anyone can update me on the best vacuum cleaner for around £150 mark, one that is especially good at picking up cat hair!

Thanks,

Damian
    There are some days when even my lucky underpants can't help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure