Best Hoover for dog hair/fur (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    The real moneysaving tip is grooming all the pets twice a day. Good luck.
    The grooming's the fun part - they all love that, but twice a day just ain't gonna happen - if I had that much time to spare I'd have gone for Persians and Afghan hounds!

Fortunately (after patient training) the worst culprit will let me hoover HIM, which has helped a little. :D
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dyson uprights weigh a ton. I rue the day I ever bought mine as I can barely manage to carry it upstairs.

I only had it for a few months when the extension hose split in 2 places. Also, it now turns itself off after being on for 7-8mins so I assume the motor is about to perish. For a little used machine I paid nearly £250 for 3yrs ago it has to be my worst buy ever. I'd never buy another Dyson.

I've been recommended Miele by a couple of people as excellent for pet hair. I think they only do cylinder though. Also Vax now do a range of uprights that are worth investigating. I saw a post on this board from someone who was happy with hers & recommended it.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a new head for my cheepo cylinder hoover,it's called a Power Brush, made by Vacs, I think the suction makes the two brushes revolve, I find it works very well with pet hairs. I got it from a shop selling vaccum spares. You need to make sure the connection is the right size.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've got a Miele Cat & Dog. It's brilliant for picking up both collie hairs and my long hairs.

It's the best hoover I've owned for dealing with pet hairs and I would highly recommend it.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can also recomment the miele cat and dog. It's light, easy to use and carry upstairs, quiet and very effective.

The cat hairs lift up first time with the turbo brushes. No need to be going over and over it like I was with my old, heavy dyson. (Not a pet one.)

The one small snag is that I found I needed to de-hair the turbo brush as very long human hair was getting tangled in it. This was easily resolved though in seconds. And it picks it up far better than anything else I've tried anyway.

(My hair is shorter now and it doesn't seem to catch any more.)

But to cut down on pet hair cleaning, I can strongly recommend those daft little gloves with plastic/rubber bobbly hands for grooming cats. I got mine in Morrisons and it has halved the amount of hoovering I'm doing. It was about 80p.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • vtmil
    vtmil Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    ive got a vax- turbopower and a dyson (not pet hair type though) and the vax is 10x better. So much so the £200 dyson now lives in the loft, while my £80 vax picks up absoultly everything. I got mine from tj hughes(a while ago) but there always seems to be offers on the vax make at other shops! There both upright bagless ones, but the vax is definatly best imho if a little noisy!
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've had a dyson animal - cylinder, and it does a good job - but a couple of friend's have 'henrys' and they swear by them.
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also have a dog and 2 cats - I love my dyson animal which is 2 years old and perfect at picking up dog and cat hairs and anything else besides.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    I also have the Dyson Animal, have had it for around 3 years and wouldnt be without it, I have two large dogs that shed bucketloads!!!!
  • bozzy_2
    bozzy_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry folks but I think the Dyson is cr*p!

I'm a proud owner of Bosch Formula Pro Pets Vacuum Cleaner. This came up in the top 5 in the Which? survey whereas Dyson came at the bottom!

I only paid £93 for mine from electricshopping.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure