🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sky Loophole!! TV, broadband and phone for £6/mth

Options

Comments

• spotbot
    spotbot Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Martin I am having real problems getting the sky £150 deal with any cashback sites, I have tried Top cashback & Cashback kings & am thinking of Quidco but you say there are reliablity problems with that one. The links keep telling me there is either, no deal, I live in the wrong country or they just don't go anywhere. Can anyone help?? Please remember I'm a pc novice so layman terms please. Cheers
  • laticsforlife
    laticsforlife Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    StarrTerry wrote: »
    Sky was in my hometown in Swansea over the Christmas period and was still there up till over a week ago and they were still offering new customers the Sky+ package of £49.00 plus £30 installation charge with a deal of £16 starter package

The Sky+ package was undercutting Virgin Media V+ box of £150 install charge.

The guy on the stall stated that there are a large numer of "Free to view" channels availabe but none are available with Virgin Media. You can keep the Sky+ box as your own even after you finished your subscription after 12 months with Sky and you still get the "Free to view" channels but with the similar deal with Virgin Media V+ box or the standard box you get nothing because when you stop the subscription with Virgin Media they switch off the signal to the box and the box remains the property of Virgin Media. They send someone round to collect the box after you've terminated your subscription. No "Free to view" channels are available with Virgin Media.

They even had a sticker stating "Virgin Media Customers Welcome"

Is there a much better deal to obtain a Virgin Media V+ box without having to pay the staggering £150 or is there a much cheaper way than the £75 that they are charging new customers?

And you know that all he said was true because..........?

Take Sky if the deal is right for you, but don't expect him to tell the whole truth about Virgin media, I'd take it with a large pinch of salt.
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • Nosskibird_2
    Options
    well i cant wait to get rid of sky all ive had is problems, plus i pay £58 a month tv with sport no movies and broadband which is very slow, and free calls after 6 but bt do this anyway but what a waste repeats of almost all the shows. I cannot wait until my contract expires october 2008(to long for my liking)so id say its all ya own choice but me im gonna stay well clear of sky from now on.
    I am in the same boat and totally agree with you!
  • laticsforlife
    Options
    Youch, £58 a month.

Must be the Sport that costs you here.

Shame it's not the movies as I'd have advice to offer - reduce to £21 a month with Sky and take up a postal DVD service like Tesco for £12.97 a month and get brand new movies instead.
    Shopandscan, £2,840
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have searched to find out answer to my question but no luck so here goes.

I have Virgin Media broadband + phone and am happy with that. We had many problems with the tv service and after months of new boxes, days off to have engineers out etc. I was forced really to cancel if I wanted to actually watch tv.

So switched to Sky just for the tv. Happy with it so far. Yesterday, I had a phone call, saying I was coming to the end of the contract and would need to pay for insurance , should anything happen to the box or dish. I told the chappie he should put the info in the post as I never give out details on the phone.

My questions are these. Do you recommend the insurance? Do you know how much it is per month? Also have you not taken out insurance and lived to regret it??

Grateful for any advice. Cheers
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• feefeelalabelle
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »

I have Virgin Media broadband + phone and am happy with that. We had many problems with the tv service and after months of new boxes, days off to have engineers out etc. I was forced really to cancel if I wanted to actually watch tv.

So switched to Sky just for the tv. Happy with it so far. Yesterday, I had a phone call, saying I was coming to the end of the contract and would need to pay for insurance , should anything happen to the box or dish. I told the chappie he should put the info in the post as I never give out details on the phone.

My questions are these. Do you recommend the insurance? Do you know how much it is per month? Also have you not taken out insurance and lived to regret it??

wernt this o watchdog the other night, im sure it was, something about conning people into buying insurance and not debiting account till 4 months later or something. Sorry to be vague hope someone else can help
    need to pay my dad back challenge[STRIKE]£3000: £2950: £2750: £2640:£2560:£1560[/STRIKE]:D £0.00:D

I AM A MEMBER OF THE ELITE....STRIP CLUB MEMBER 22
  • silps
    silps Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options

This was featured in Watchdog where a company which isn't Sky but act like they are will call you and sell you insurance. A lot of people weren't even at the end of their contract either. I think on Watchdog they said that even Sky took them to court. But I wonder how this company actually knows that you have Sky in the first place...? They did say that there is actually nothing wrong with the insurance just the way they sell it. Assuming that it is the same company that called you.

I would guess that it is not worth having insurance. If the box breaks can't you cancel your Sky and then rejoin again to get a new box? I have read before on forums that when people rang in to cancel Sky because the box broke, Sky would fix it for free. I am sure other people on here can advice if they still do this.
  • anruari
    anruari Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I Phoned Virgin Media with the details of this deal and asked what they could do to keep my buisness.

I Got told to Phone the Customer \rELATIONS TEAM (OPTION 4: "I want to leave / cancel services)

They offered me an upgrade on my existing basic package and reduced my monthly bill from 3 services for £30 for basic TV, + OD, Basic 2MB unlimited Broadband + Evenings & Weekend phone calls

New Package on discount
    £19.50 for as above but with size Large TV Package. includes lots more chanels.

Remeber this deal includes Line Rental (normally 11.99 / month for a BT line - unnecessary from Virgin)

The Sky deal would therefore have been a gamble at 6+11 = 17 /month. for capped broadband, plus basic TV.

I'm doing better, with onl;y one bill to pay and only £2 more / month on DD

Plus I boycott all Rupert Murdocs services and wont pay him a penny on ethical grounds (his editors are all vehimently racist / Zenophobic in my opinion). This way I get a better deal from a more ethical buisness, and have fewer bills to pay.
  • laticsforlife
    Options

Not fair, I want this phone call.

After watching Watchdog, I have my questions lined up;

1. When exactly does my warranty expire
    2. What package am I on,
    3. Does it cover my HD box (Not got one of these though)

Who are you again (toe-rag cold-caller).

Why do we need these warranties anyway, the cost is about £60 a year, and if my box breaks I'll buy one off Ebay for about £45 brand new!!!
    Shopandscan, £2,840
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anruari wrote: »
    I Phoned Virgin Media with the details of this deal and asked what they could do to keep my buisness.

I Got told to Phone the Customer \rELATIONS TEAM (OPTION 4: "I want to leave / cancel services)

They offered me an upgrade on my existing basic package and reduced my monthly bill from 3 services for £30 for basic TV, + OD, Basic 2MB unlimited Broadband + Evenings & Weekend phone calls

New Package on discount
    £19.50 for as above but with size Large TV Package. includes lots more chanels.

Remeber this deal includes Line Rental (normally 11.99 / month for a BT line - unnecessary from Virgin)

The Sky deal would therefore have been a gamble at 6+11 = 17 /month. for capped broadband, plus basic TV.

I'm doing better, with onl;y one bill to pay and only £2 more / month on DD

Plus I boycott all Rupert Murdocs services and wont pay him a penny on ethical grounds (his editors are all vehimently racist / Zenophobic in my opinion). This way I get a better deal from a more ethical buisness, and have fewer bills to pay.
    I agree with you totally, only one big problem with virgin TV, which keeps me with sky, it's called SKY1!!!!
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport