ET03ET03 Forumite
264 Posts
i pay standing order of £35 month
is there a cheaper way?
and can someone talk me through it simply icon7.gif

Replies

• martinpikemartinpike Forumite
    357 Posts
    What services are you getting for this £35?

Landline? Broadband? Cable TV? International calling?
  • April2April2 Forumite
    508 Posts
    ET03 wrote:
    i pay standing order of £35 month
    is there a cheaper way?
    and can someone talk me through it simply icon7.gif
    What?

BT line rental (paying by DD) is £10.50 a month. If you are paying BT £24.50 more than that each month, that would pay for 1225 calls (more than 40 a day, every day) to UK 01/02 numbers using call18866.co.uk.

Most people on here have signed up with a CPS provider so they get free calls at the weekend (at least) and with 18866 so they can make UK calls (01/02 STD codes) at all other times for 2p each (NOT 2p/minute).
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From previous enquiries you made regarding 18866 this amount does seem somewhat high?
  • coolsteelcoolsteel Forumite
    341 Posts
    Yes ETOP you need to state exactly what you are getting for your £35 a month, but im sure the people on here will help in drastically reducing that amount.
    A fool and their money are easily parted.
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bt option 1 is £10.50 per month, option 2 is £16.50 and option 3 is £25.50

You must have some features that you are paying for with BT to pay so much a month. Do you have broadband with them?
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ET03ET03 Forumite
    264 Posts
    From previous enquiries you made regarding 18866 this amount does seem somewhat high?
    i never got round to registering, had lots of personal problems so should i stay with bt and use 18866 or go elsewhere?
  • ET03ET03 Forumite
    264 Posts
    I'm on option 1
    rest is for calls although I am a little in credit on last bill
  • t_i_g_e_rrt_i_g_e_rr Forumite
    213 Posts
    I would sign up for 18866 and/or 1899 now. You can start to get benefits today that way. Start using them for all your calls.
    Then I would ask BT to change my direct debit to just pay the full amount rather than a fixed amount each month.
    Then I would look at TalkTalk/OneTel for your weekend/evening landline calls.
    If you ever get broadband, none of the above will affect your choices in any way.

Nothing difficult. One thing at a time. You can't loose if you sign up for 18866 now.
  • April2April2 Forumite
    508 Posts
    ET03 wrote:
    I'm on option 1
    rest is for calls although I am a little in credit on last bill
    Cancel that excessive payment (DD?) immediately. If BT query, tell them you are happy to continue paying your bills by DD but not to pay a fixed amount each month in advance (that way, you'll keep the benefit of having the line rental reduced to £10.50/month).

Now. Sign up for call18866.co.uk immediately and make all your calls to UK 01/02 numbers using the 18866 prefix for 2p each regardless of time or day or call length.

That should save you £15-£20 a month quite easily.

Only make calls without that prefix to 084/087 numbers (and, even then, only if you can't find geographical alternatives on SayNoTo0870.com).

When you're settled with that arrangement, you may wish to consider saving a little more (at 2p per call, it won't be much) by getting your weekend (and possibly evening) calls to UK 01/02 calls free via a CPS provider. Re-open this thread in a couple of months if so.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • ET03ET03 Forumite
    264 Posts
    thanks for all this icon7.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides