The great "what can you blag by threatening to leave' hunt

Comments

• I had my car and my husband's car insured with Norwich Union. Also have two other insurance policys with them and have done for several years. After getting a cheaper quote for my husband's car insurance I asked Norwich Union to beat it or match it - and they refused, even though I've got a few policies with them. So I switched to a cheaper deal elsewhere.....But the moral is - ask and see what you can get!
    I got offered a better deal with AOL this week after threatening to leave. I'm waiting to see how the service improves over the next week before I agree to another 18 months with them.
    Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?
  • OK, so it took me the best part of 2 weeks, but I got the following from O2 for £30 a month:
    • 600 Free minutes
    • 2500 Free Texts
    • An O2 XDA Phone (Which has onboard Sat Nav, MP4 Player, Mobile Office, 2MP camera etc. Etc.)
    • My final month's bill paid off in full.
    • A free SD card
    I was on a 15 pound a month package, and they phoned telling me they were discontinuing it. They offered me a new phone if I upgraded to the £25 a month package, which had an extra 75 mins and 75 texts. I told them to stick it. They then proceeded to ring me every day for 2 weeks offering me different stuff, before eventually asking what I wanted. I told them. They complained, but eventually gave it to me! Sweet!
  • A friend of mine had a voucher for free install and free Sky+ box from Sky. So I gave Virgin a call, my current provider of everything entertainment related, and said can you match it as they were charging £150 install for their equivalent. They said they could not waive the install but they could reduce my monthly payments by £19.50 for 12 months. :j They charged me £150 up front but I save £234 over the year and if the box breaks down it gets swapped out as it is rented. The Virgin+ box is way superior to the Sky+ box.

ps install took 15 mins for £150 wow £600 per hour!!!
  • ritac1
    ritac1 Posts: 294 Forumite
    redram52 wrote: »
    I've been with AOL on nearly as long as they've been going but I've never had many problems since going broadband, no limits, good speed etc. Used to be 0800 now 0845, better that than 0870 or any 09's. A few years ago decided 17.99 was too dear, better offers on tv etc. Rang, said the magic words cancel or better it. "We can't" so they put me through to "the one who can". Got £9.99/month for life, 2mb unlimited and a free router. Where's that offer" I asked, "We don't advertise this it's just for us to offer customers who want to leave". Good at the time, still good now for non cabled area. Mum was on dial up paying £6/month! Rang last week told them give her my offer or bye bye. Said she can have unlimited dial up for £9.99. No Way, Byeee. Got put through to the one who can and they did. Exact same as me, router, £9.99 for life, best 8mb speed, no download limits. Stuff arrived in 10 days and set it up in under a hour. I should be getting a referal fee (£50 I think) as well. Done and dusted. I know there's home phone offers etc with other providers but we are tied in with BT for that and we didn't want to change email addresses. I Now need to call them and blag the 8mb speed for me!

Same here, been with them for nearly as long as they have been going. I usually pay upfront for the whole year and get a discount but this year money is really tight and was thinking of dropping down to a cheaper package but might just threaten to leave altogether and see what happens...

Also, rang Sky yesterday to cancel due to money probs and they simply said okay and went ahead and cancelled, must have got someone on a bad day:rolleyes:
  • I cancelled my T-mobile phone (Hate the network), had been with them since I was 18 (now 23) and they were desperate for me to stay. I kept rejecting their offers. In the end, I was offered a £5 per month line rental for 500 free texts, 500 anytime any network minutes plus an upgrade of my choice.
  • Last year I rang 3 to give notice on three contracts, all on 500 mins 100 texts for £16.66 per month (deal I got last year) I was offered same use at £15 per month, I was none committal. They then asked if the phones were ok, I said they were fine and we were happy with them. They offered two contracts at £14 for the year!! The third contract was renewed at a whopping £32 for the year Only paying in month 12!!! bought payg phone for wife £30 bought N80 off ebay for me £70 much cheaper and got phone we wanted!

Elephant gave me £50 off when I asked for some off, they didn't even ask for other quotes!

Sky gave me three months half price when I asked to terminate.

Virgin cut me a deal on phone and broadband when I asked to leave, my daughter now has free cable TV

HSA gave me a months free cover because "I can't afford it at the moment"

About to renew 3 contracts, already been offered new phone and £10 per month off. Will be pushing for much better!

Always threaten to move, you will not be disappointed with the offers you get. And take time to commit...read on

When I first went to elephant two years ago they called back three times to ask if quote was ok, each time cutting the price at least 10%, I took it out before it became embarrassing.

I bought cracking suite from SCS starting price £3,500 one year guarantee 6 months interest free credit and £50 delivery. Ummed and aahhed for an hour, best rate of pay I am ever going to get. Final price £2,340, 5 year guarantee, 3 years interest free credit, free delivery and the manager was sweating! He still thought I might walk. 1 Hours pay at least £1,200 Guy a work bought simmilar and paid full whack, he was a little upset when I told him!
  • cally1_2
    cally1_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Saved myself about £30 when my renewal letter for The AA arrived. I looked up the new customer price online and phoned them to ask why my renewal was £30 more expensive? They gave me the new customer price.

Phoned BT and said I was thinking of leaving their broadband option 2. Said I could get it much cheaper eslewhere. They matched the price for the next 12 months and gave me a free homehub, so also got BT vision for free (although think that may be free anyway??)
  • wanted broadband with sky(the £5 a month one), was told not in our area but we could have the £17.99 package(no good only pay £14.99 now) then

we saw advertised sky hd for only £199 when taken with multiroom or braodband(otherwise £249 + £60 installation)
    rang them up and asked if we could have it with the broadband at £5 not but can have it with multiroom(only 1 tv so no good) then went thru a proccess of 3 different people saying yeah we can, no we cant, yeah we can untill in the end someone said no way can it be done!!

so we decided that we were going to write a complaints letter but before we did that DH rang back and asked to be put thru to complaints dept and went thru everything that had happened and said he thought it was unfair that we couldn't have it but we could go to Comet(or somewhere) and get the HD offer for half the price that sky were charging and he was going to write a complaints letter

as soon as he said that 'oh we will just put you through to someone who might be able to sort it our for you' there tone completely changed, they offered DH all sorts of other offers but he said he wasn't interested in them only wanted hd and the £5 broadband and in the end the woman gave up and we are now getting exactly what we wanted!!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After having a 12 month 100% cashback deal with T Mobile when they first OH and I rung up to cancel. Offered us both choice of any phone and £5 per month line rental for 12 months.

Again after 100% cashback deal rang 02 to cancel and they offered me £10 per month plus decent phone but I could get 100% free line rental and new phone so politely declined.

I've had 5 years of free line rental, free xnet calls/text and phones which I sold so made a profit. Saved over £4000.:T

18 months ago rang AOL and had the £9.99 deal for BB for life.

2 days ago rang Orthodentist to query quote and had a £500 discount over the phone.:T
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • My wife phoned up Sky and said that we wanted to remove the Sports and Movies from the viewing package. When the Sky rep asked the reason for this, my wife replied "We can't really afford £45 per month and we're trying to cut back". We were then offered the full package at a reduced rate of £30 fo the next 3 months! Try it.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport