PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I am in love with my Panasonic breadmaker

Options

Comments

• baggies666
    baggies666 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks I shall give it another try with a little less water, I tried the normal sandwich loaf in the panny intructions and that came out fine
    May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

Mortgage £128,170.66
    DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500
  • Peckedhen
    Peckedhen Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    baggies666 wrote: »
    I have brought a few hovis bread mix since they were cheap, the packet says don't fast bake but the manual for the panny says FB which is right, I am nipping out to get some supplies today. I would like a loaf which is soft but not where it soaks up the butter like anything do I need to supplement milk for water or mar for some water now sure??

Thanks

I rang Hovis and asked them to clarify whether to bake the mix on fast. I was told that the mix was tested on the MR so he couldn't say about the panny. I have tried it both ways and couldn't tell the difference. I have also found that adding the optional butter makes no difference.:confused: The instructions on the breadmix packet say to bake on dark crust but I found this too dark for our liking. Just experiment and see which way you prefer.
    Preemie hats 9 :j
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I would just like to know, how high does your xl loaf rise?? My old breadmaker used to make loaves that rose well above the top of the pan The photo on the box of the panny looks like the loaf has risen higher than the top of the pan but my bread has never risen above the pan. The bread tastes not bad, but I just feel I must be doing something wrong.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Alexelisey
    Alexelisey Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Mine (panny) seems to dome just above the top of the pan on the rapid bake cycle, and doesn't seem to rise any better with the 4 hour cycle.

PS Woot! A star! :D
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • Peckedhen
    Options
    I've only made one, it rose about level with the top of the pan. There was very little difference in the XL and the L when I made them.:confused:
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    Thanks for that. It must be fine then, I just thought it was maybe me. I feel a bit better about it now, if that's normal.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• polkadot
    polkadot Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I finally got one:j I think I started asking about these on this thread in about December last year. Everyone said the panasonic was the best and when I told OH the price I thought he was going to kick me out.

Anyway, I didnt get one at the time. A friend of mine is leaving the country and has just about moved her house into mine. They are leaving quite quick and so said she was just selling "the big stuff" and can I use any of the stuff thats on that pile-yes, there was a panasonic SD253:T

Needless to say I have been baking ever since and I dont think OH has ever had jollies that good from me;) I thought he was going to levitate he made that much of a scene about how good the bread was:D

Now of course I face the problem of cutting the loaves:question:

What do you all do?
  • Peckedhen
    Options
    I find that an electric knife is the best - you still need to wait for the loaf to cool though.
  • Tao81
    Tao81 Posts: 653 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is so long that I apologise if I am asking questions that are already out there?!

I am SO very tempted to buy one of these machines, but I'm trying to work out if it would be an economic purchase, considering there's only the two of us here- One who eats wheat and one who can't!

Can anyone, who regularly cooks wholemeal bread in a panny, estimate for me how much they reckon they saved per loaf compared with current supermarket prices?

Also, can anyone reassure me that it really is any good at producing edible (or even tasty) gluten-free bread?
    As just because it has this function doesn't necessarily mean it actually is of any practical benefit?!!......Sorry if I have offended any Panny enthusiasts who are unable to comprehend why anyone on the planet would even attempt to malign such a wonderful piece of modern machinery! :o But, feel I have to ask, as this will heavily affect my decision on whether to purchase or not, as it is a rather expensive piece of kit, after all!

Thanks in advance. :D
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. :A
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't help on the gluten free front but my ex was wheat intolerant so it was only me in our house that ate "normal" bread and I found my old (and manky Cookworks) breadmaker was a huge help as I could eat a homemade loaf before it went off whereas I couldn't get through a whole shop bought loaf of bread and I didn't have enough room to keep bread in the freezer.

I prefer home made bread because of the lack of additives and I really like knowing what has gone in to it. For me the decision of breadmaker or bought isn't so much about whether it's cost effective it's about what I can produce with the machine.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills