PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I am in love with my Panasonic breadmaker

Options

Comments

• JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    billieboy wrote: »
    I've never used anything but Waitrose flour (except when making granary bread) and have never had a problem with it (touch wood:D got one on the go at the moment).

me too. I don't waste money trying other brands now.
  • JennyW_2
    Options
    sorry if this question has already been asked but its such a big thread to plough after i own a goodmans breadmaker but it only makes small squarish loaves unless i just use dough setting and bake it myself in oven which is a faff to me .
    .my question is does the panny make a "proper" sized loaf like the size one gets if its bought from shops and roughly how many slices cut like a shops medium/thick slice would you get from a loaf i am on the brink of upgrading to a pannny after spending £1.42 on a warburtons today !!!!! i like the taste and convienience of bread maker just need a bigger loaf ..hope someone can help many thanks xx

the loaves which come out of the panny are tall, rather than long - as the shop ones are, hence the slices are smaller. I always make Large loaves and they produce really large slices of bread - great for toast. I've never attempted XL as I would have to turn them over in the toaster half way through :rotfl:

If you go back a few pages, you'll see some pictures posted. I put one on and I believe AndyHamilton has.
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JennyW wrote: »
    the loaves which come out of the panny are tall, rather than long - as the shop ones are, hence the slices are smaller. I always make Large loaves and they produce really large slices of bread - great for toast. I've never attempted XL as I would have to turn them over in the toaster half way through :rotfl:

If you go back a few pages, you'll see some pictures posted. I put one on and I believe AndyHamilton has.
    Depends on the size of your toaster though. I can't do anything larger than the medium in mine and it goes in sideways. Have to cut the tops off if it comes out too tall:D .
  • baggies666
    baggies666 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is huge I have tried reading a little everyday, I wanted to say Hi and I am going to order a panny and just excited so I am sure I will have questions in the future, I wondered if its possible to do a faq at the start of the thread or maybe a key poster can keep a link somewhere as I looked for ages about which flour, which yeast etc
    Thanks
    May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

Mortgage £128,170.66
    DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500
  • Peckedhen
    Peckedhen Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Hovis white bread mix now priced at, and scanning at, 29p at Adsa.. The SBD is March 2009 so I am buying it by the bucketful!! LOL:j

I seem to have more success with this than making my own!:confused:
    Preemie hats 9 :j
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Baggies...as you'll probably realise, the brands of yeast & flour various people recommend varies a good deal:o Not a lot of help I'm afraid, & I guess the shops you have access to will play the biggest part in the decisions you make.

For my own opinion, I've successfully used the bread flour from Lidl until now, but I went to stock up today & see it's a different wrapper. I've got two bags to try tho, cuz at 48p a go, you don't mind so much if things go a little skewwie:p

I use Dove's Farm dried yeast from MrT..99p last time I got some & lasts around 40-odd loaves. It comes in a vacuum pack, so I keep it in a sandwich bag in the fridge once I've opened it.

Whichever brands you choose, I hope you'll be as excited by your panny as I still am with mine:D It's only been a few months, but I can't remember what shop-bought bread tastes like now!

One word of caution----be ready with the proper butter;) & DON'T be tempted to cut the loaf straight from the machine....gives you terrible indigestion:eek: :rotfl:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• princess_leia_3
    princess_leia_3 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, I put a spicy fruit loaf on and it has come out like a sunken brick :(
    But I toasted it anyway and its a bit more cakey but it will do for brekkie :D
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• JennyW_2
    Options
    baggies666 wrote: »
    This thread is huge I have tried reading a little everyday, I wanted to say Hi and I am going to order a panny and just excited so I am sure I will have questions in the future, I wondered if its possible to do a faq at the start of the thread or maybe a key poster can keep a link somewhere as I looked for ages about which flour, which yeast etc
    Thanks

I agree. A week or so back I did ask mods if we could create a new thread but not heard since :confused:

I second BigMummaF's comment about cutting when warm - it wont cut well. Leave to cool down fully. I usually let mine stand overnight and cut in the morning. Perfect :D
  • baggies666
    baggies666 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I have brought a few hovis bread mix since they were cheap, the packet says don't fast bake but the manual for the panny says FB which is right, I am nipping out to get some supplies today. I would like a loaf which is soft but not where it soaks up the butter like anything do I need to supplement milk for water or mar for some water now sure??

Thanks
    May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

Mortgage £128,170.66
    DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500
  • deebee
    deebee Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    gave my panny a well earned rest in the cupboard last week while I tried this artisan in 5 minutes malarkey....what a load of pants....panny has been brought back into service and has been busy making the hovis mix loaves which are only 30p in Tesco....works fine, just use a bit less than the 350ml of water they suggest, I have found 310 -320ml produces a yummy and good looking loaf, on the fast setting, which for 30p can't be bad :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure