The giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread!

Comments

• Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Know what you mean about Tescos...I feel great walking in and past the "Aisle of Shadow" where I've often stocked up on booze to have at home....then leaving with much reduced grocery bill. My old receipts make horrific reading.....

Just wish I could claim back for them!
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • Good to have so many joining in or watching!
    http://30sleeps.com/blog/2007/12/07/how-to-quit-drinking-alcohol/
    Linky that may help some and be of interest! Amazed in looking for it how much info there is!! Feel free to post others!
    and hopefully something to make you chuccle!
    http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/A/Alcohol.asp
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• JoeHel
    JoeHel Posts: 446 Forumite
    Hi everyone. I had a "dry" January and was surprised at how much better I felt. I'm not a heavy drinker or anything, but I can end up having quite a lot on one night out a week. I quit smoking last November and that doesn't worry me at all now - whether I have a drink or not. But hangovers feel worse the older I get and I am getting very aware of how much money it costs for a big night out these days if there's lots of alcohol involved!!

Plus my OH is on anti-depressants and alcohol has a very bad effect on him on those. He's been told he really shouldn't ever drink at all but if he does he should never have more than two alcoholic drinks.

We've both decided we'd quite like to knock alcohol on the head altogether and not bother. We have noticed that we have a lot more fun together on the weekends where we don't bother drinking, don't have hangovers to sleep off and are feeling refreshed and wide awake.

We're off on holiday in a couple of weeks and it would make a nice change to come back tanned and refreshed, not exhausted and ready for another holiday!
    QUIT SMOKING 4/11/07 :j
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I want to join your thread if thats ok! I would like to reduce the amount i drink at home! I have had really rough time over the last few months (split with OH in Dec) but I do like to have a glass of wine or 3 ota home. I work a permanent night shift which means I can only drink 3 nights out of 7 and that is my excuse!!!! BUT I have been off work sick for the last 2 weeks as I have gastritis. The GP says it is caused by stress and helicobactor bacteria but I know that alcohol does not help. So I don't want to stop drinking totally cos i do enjoy going out on the rare occasion for a few drinks but like others on the=is thread know it is not good for your health or pocket to drink often. I want to limit my drinking to going out which might happen twice a month as opposed to buing 3 bottles of wine for £10 in asda each week! At the end of the day thats £520 per year that could go towrads debt!!!!

Problem - got 3 bottles of wine and half a bottle of sothern comfort in the house! do I drink it, bin it or save it?
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Hi Judi - I've got the same problem - half a bottle of Jack Daniels. Wondering about maybe giving it to a friend for safe-keeping. Then I could go and visit and have a glass, without breaking the 'no drinking at home' target. Only question is, which friend?
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• Can you save it - put out of reach for when friend come round maybe? No point binning it cos that would just be a waste but if you cant do that how about giving it to friends as a thank you for somehing they've done for you? I know I'm hopeless - if its in the house, I'll drink it! Have always had huge admiration for people who can just look at it!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• I have been pretty much drinking atleast every weekend for the last 13 years or so until a few months back. A month or so i just stopped drinking all the time, partly thanks to the love of a good man but i had already had enough before that just didnt know how to break the cycle.
    Things are just so great now, I do drink but very occationally, usually with food and not to get !!!!ed anymore. It's quite an effort to drink a couple of drinks now but i enjoy the one or two more than the 20 i would have normally had.
    Good luck to all of you, dont beat yourselfs up if you slip just get back on the wagon again.
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Well, first challenge for me - was mena tot be going out for friend's bday in leeds. I can't go I think as it's just too expensive (I think they woul dbe very supportive of me not drinking actually as they've had close experience of bad drinkers etc and don't actually binge drink). So that solves it for the first night out issue. However, will no doubt have other things coming up and can't shy off every time.
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • No but in the early stages its best not to put yourself in a vulnerable position. How did it go with the explaining in school today? How are the injuries feeling? Manged to avoid the "dark isle" in Mr T's today and the cigarette counter so chuffed with that!

• Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Well done you! :)

Explained it away to those who shouldn't know and those who can know, guessed!!

Ah well. Lasting reminder...it's really hurting still.

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business