Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!

Options

Comments

• superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Vikki* wrote: »
    I am not on the electrical roll and have an excellent credit history. Few credit cards and had a car on finance and have a contract phone. Never had problems getting loans.

How do you switch on your lights? ;)
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    kentguy07 wrote: »
    I dont agree.

I think the whole electrol roll is flawed and i dont agree with it. Another way of keeping track of the people. Anyone can find out where you live if your registered.
    even joe public. Ideal for stalkers and weirdos.

I never would register.

I agree, I would never register!
  • *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    aron wrote: »
    Well that's great as long as you don't mind being fined.

By law, every year the council must send out to each property in the borough a Register of Electors form, requesting updated information of its residents. Residents must by law complete this form and send it back to the council. Failure to do so can lead to a fine of up to £1,000.

I just don't exist :p Like a traveler! :D
  • Gavin_Bailey
    Gavin_Bailey Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 February 2010 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Not being able to register because of citizenship.

My wife and I are looking to buy a house.

We have been looking at the things you need to do to get a mortgage. One of these is for us to be on the electoral roll. I have already done this. However, my wife is a citizen of South Korea.

She has indefinite leave to remain. Though that may give her generally the same rights as a British citizen (having worked, lived, and paid tax here for many years), it does not entitle her to vote. Therefore, she cannot register.

We have never taken out a loan (not even a student loan when I studied as a mature student), so we have never had to face somebody in a bank with this question.

Does anybody have experience of this? Or does anybody know whether banks are not worried about this situation?

Thank you.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I applied to the ER at the end of August but it didn't update on my credit files until mid January, due to the Christmas period and of course Experian being slow...

HOWEVER - I was approved for a Barclaycard in November with a £1,150 limit without being on the ER... guess it depends on the rest of your credit file...
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not being able to register because of citizenship.

My wife and I are looking to buy a house.

We have been looking at the things you need to do to get a mortgage. One of these is for us to be on the electoral roll. I have already done this. However, my wife is a citizen of South Korea.

She has indefinite leave to remain. Though that may give her generally the same rights as a British citizen (having worked, lived, and paid tax here for many years), it does not entitle her to vote. Therefore, she cannot register.

We have never taken out a loan (not even a student loan when I studied as a mature student), so we have never had to face somebody in a bank with this question.

Does anybody have experience of this? Or does anybody know whether banks are not worried about this situation?

Thank you.

Hi Gavin
    Generally if the mortgage is to be a joint one, both names have to be on the electoral register. In my last job one of my responsibilities was to provide, Experian, Equifax, Call Credit and Crediva with the register when published every year and with the monthly updates. Despite what many people say in this thread it is a major factor for the majority of credit checks nowadays. This means that your wife's citizenship, preventing her from joining the register, could be a problem. Would she consider taking British Citizenship? Leave to remain is not sufficient to have her added.

The other alternative is for her to call herself British on the registration form, electoral services departments have low staffing ratios and in a "busy" period approaching a major electoral event, may be a bit remiss in checking the accuracy of the form completion. I am presuming her surname matches yours?
    John
  • scouser88
    Options
    I have only just registered on the roll so how long will it be before i can go for finance etc?
  • danli_2
    Options
    Have a marital home trying to sell as a result of divorce. Can I retain a registered address there even if I dont live there (will live with family until sold) or will I have to register with the family I am living with? Or do I need to register at all during this temporary period?

Thanks
  • danli_2
    Options
    Have a marital home trying to sell as a result of divorce. Can I retain a registered address there even if I dont live there (will live with family until sold) or will I have to register with the family I am living with? Or do I need to register at all during this temporary period?

Thanks
  • danli_2
    Options

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport