Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!

Options

Comments

• colin.albutt
    Options
    First post so please bear with me...

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit rating from when I was younger (usual credit cards, loans etc) and so in the last month I have got rid of CCJ's, now have very low borrowings (£176.00) good payment history for the last 6months and have raised my score from 540 to 699 on the experian scoring system.

The final push to get me into fair credit rating is to get registered on the electoral register. I have submitted all of the paperwork and confirmed with the local office that they have received them, however they have said that I wont be registered until April because of time constants? Has anyone else had this problem?

My wife and I want to get a mortgage next year so the more time I have with a fair / good credit rating the better.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2012 at 11:59AM
    Options
    I have submitted all of the paperwork and confirmed with the local office that they have received them, however they have said that I wont be registered until April because of time constants? Has anyone else had this problem?

This is usual, the rolling register electoral roll is updated monthly at this time of year. You need to apply before around the 10th of the month to be registered from the 1st of the following month, so if you apply this week you'll miss the March one and appear from 1 April.

After you are on the electoral roll with the council it will then take another month or 2 for this to be shown on your credit files. So likely not until May/June time.

(If its any consolation if you apply in autumn its not even updated monthly, so it can be much longer at that time of year).

In terms of
    so the more time I have with a fair / good credit rating the better.
    that isn't how it works.
    A potential mortgage lender (or any lender) only looks at a snapshot of your file on the day the search it.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • josephlijesh
    Options
    i am getting this message in Experian "You are not on the Electoral Roll as a current occupant at your current address".. last month i received a confirmation letter from electoral that i am now registered on my current address... what do i need to do to fix this?
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i am getting this message in Experian "You are not on the Electoral Roll as a current occupant at your current address".. last month i received a confirmation letter from electoral that i am now registered on my current address... what do i need to do to fix this?

See the post above, it takes a couple of months to feed through to your credit report, you could always raise a query with Experian, but whether this will actually save any time by the time the query is resolved?
  • 1sttimebuyer1
    Options
    Hello all,

Very informative forum, this is my first post. I hope you can all help.

My partner and I will be looking at buying a house in a few months time. We are currently living at the same address although I am still registered at my parents house on the electoral register (as are my bank details and a couple of credit cards). I have a joint account with my partner at our current address and I have taken out a car loan in my name at our current address. In a few months time we will be in an excellent position financially to buy a house, however I would be devastated to lose out on a mortgage because of an address issue.

My questions to you all are:

Should I keep registered at my parents address when applying for a mortgage with my partner? (ie: she would state our current address and I would state my parents address) Would I be red flagged in some way as I also have a car loan at our current address?

or

Should I change my registered electoral address to our current address (along with my bank account and credit cards) before applying for a mortgage? This in turn means that I will have effectively lost the long term stability of staying registered at my parents house, but at least all of my details will be at the same address.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your replies!
  • L.ben86
    L.ben86 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Newbie so be nice...... Hope I've done this right!!

At 26 years old I've only just found out I'm not on the electrol roll.
    Trying to get a Morgage & advisor has pulled me up because I'm not on it!
    I've never had a fixed address! & now I don't no how to get on it & if there is a charge...?! All advise is welcome!!
    Many thanks
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,945 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2012 at 1:58PM
    Options
    L.ben86 wrote: »
    Newbie so be nice...... Hope I've done this right!!

At 26 years old I've only just found out I'm not on the electrol roll.
    Trying to get a Morgage & advisor has pulled me up because I'm not on it!
    I've never had a fixed address! & now I don't no how to get on it & if there is a charge...?! All advise is welcome!!
    Many thanks

You need to get in touch with the Local Authority in the area where you are living - if you are in England, find out their contact details by putting a postcode in here. There is no charge.

http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/index.jsp?LGSL=364&LGIL=0

alternatively look at this site;

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    My partner and I will be looking at buying a house in a few months time. We are currently living at the same address although I am still registered at my parents house on the electoral register (as are my bank details and a couple of credit cards). I have a joint account with my partner at our current address and I have taken out a car loan in my name at our current address. In a few months time we will be in an excellent position financially to buy a house, however I would be devastated to lose out on a mortgage because of an address issue.

My questions to you all are:

Should I keep registered at my parents address when applying for a mortgage with my partner? (ie: she would state our current address and I would state my parents address) Would I be red flagged in some way as I also have a car loan at our current !

It doesn't matter, because you will be required to provide your previous address, which will then link up with your Voters Roll entry. There is little point in changing, as you'd have to change it to be new property address when you get it.
  • jason1231972
    jason1231972 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    The idea that one must be on the ER in order to get credit is a bit extreme, and just isn't true.

I'm 40 years old and only registered on the ER in May 2012. I had never been on it before. Prior to this date, I'd had already had credit cards, store cards, phone contracts, personal loans and overdrafts for years, with credit refusals being very few and far between. I was approved car finance at one point, but didn't actually take it up.

I applied for, and was provisionally approved, a mortgage with a major bank (who I don't bank with) just prior to joining the ER. I informed them I wasn't on the ER at that time, and their response was very much 'so what'.
  • Chantelle1988
    Options
    Wondered if someone could help .. I live on a holiday park in Sussex and cannot receive mail or register at this address but want to be added to er to improve my credit?
    How can I get my name added?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport