Unite against the biggest bank scam!

Options
1235»

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

An Egg current account will take 8 working days - that will always include a weekend - making it 10 days to clear a cheque. I was on the phone to Egg a fortnight ago and they confirmed this.

That is not to do with the clearing cycle though. Thats Eggs poor administration more than doubling the timescale.
    When using a Lloyds TSB cash machine in my local town I was charged £1.75 (it may have been £1.50 but I honestly cannot remember) each time for withdrawing money from a Barclays account. I was even instructed not to do so by one of their 'personal bankers'. I admit that this was some time ago, I wouldn't wish a Barclays account on anyone, and have closed that account some 2 years ago.

Barclays and Lloyds have been on the same network for as long as I can remember. They do not charge for using each others machines. TSB machines were not on the same network (in the early days of the merger) and that may have led to you being charged.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dchurch24
    dchurch24 Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If someone breaks the law, are they not being dishonest?
  • catalonia13
    Options
    My Halifax account takes 7 working days to clear a cheque and today they have charged me £39 for non payment of a cheque (insufficient funds, not of my own fault!) and the letter came on-line so they didn't even have to print or post it.
    Make the most of life, it is not a rehearsal!
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    dchurch24 wrote:
    If someone breaks the law, are they not being dishonest?

If I take money from your wallet without asking, that is dishonest and indeed is stealing. Why is it any different when you take money that's not yours from the bank?

IT IS EASY TO AVOID "RIP-OFF" BANK CHARGES - SIMPLY MANAGE YOUR ACCOUNT PROPERLY.
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between "not legally enforceable" and "dishonest"?

The very worst these bank charges is, is an unfair contract term and hence not legally enforceable. That doesn't make them dishonest, or theft, AFAIK.
  • JoeDGaffa
    Options
    i bank with RBS, and have a credit card with them.
    i use online banking for most of my transactions.

if i pay money to my credit card from my bank account online, it take 10 working days for the funds to become available on the credit card.
    the money exits my current account immediately i carry out the transaction online.
    the bank claims that it takes 4 days for the funds to be cleared and presented to the credit card, (BOTH RBS!!!). At this stage the money can be seen being presented but does not become available on my credit card.

then the credit card company and the bank have informed me that it takes 6 working from the day the cc company recieves the money from monies presented from online transactions to clear. even though the funds have already been "cleared". They maintain that they can do nothing about it as it is an extra security precaution due to the transaction being an online one. i do not understand their reasoning as i have repeatedley protested that i already have to go through their rigorous log-in routine, which they claim to be secure.
    with week-ends etc it can take up to 13 days for my money to be available on my credit card.

I have taken this up with my branch who say i must contact the CC centre and take it up there, who in turn have said they cannot reason this blip in their system and i should contact the RBS online services who will explian why this must happen.
    i use my credit card for spending and then pay off the amount at the end of the month, in order to collect air miles.
    BUT 13 DAYS FOR FUNDS TO CLEAR WITHIN THE SAME BANK, ALBEIT BRANCH AND CC CENTRE?????????
    and they seem nonchalant, almost making me out to be an idiot for querying it
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    Pay it by DD and then it'll leave your current account and credit the card account same day.
  • HGLTsuperstar
    HGLTsuperstar Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    Options
    Just opened a Barclays current account, admit that the sole use was to act a linking account with online saver, but told cheques take 5 working days to clear! Guess the bigger, and more internationally recognisable they are, the more they can get away with. And how can we petition our government when:
    a) We are not allowed to know where our PM is taking his holiday
    b) The government should, NOTE "SHOULD" NOT "IS", be recalling parliament to assess how to protect their subjects from an even more lethal terror than our fradulent financial services. Guess if there's not an election brewing, our views don't count
  • 200RJH250
    Options
    Alliance & Leicester are no better, they say I can do banking 24/7 so i put in a request to transfer an amount from my online saver to my premier plus a/c on the 21st August which happened to be a Sunday, it went out of the O/L saver a/c on the Sunday OK, a bill was presented on the 22nd but they inform me I became overdrawn and charged me £25.
    Reading my online statement, 22/08 transfer on 21st £xxxx
    22/08 paid item charge £25
    22/08 direct debit £xxxx
    The running balance has not dropped below £1000 on the whole statement but no where on the statement is a minus sign indicating I've over drawn but A&L still has charged me.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    You have to have the money in your current account to meet the DD by close of business on the preceding business day. That's FRIDAY not SUNDAY. It says so in the account terms and conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure