Advice re purchase of PC - Cheapest on Market at the moment

Options
Dont know anything about megabytes, gigabytes. Just how to turn it off and on. Would like the internet at home. Dont want to play games just basic PC and then internet would do! Any advice as to which is the best/cheapest buy at the moment. Upto £500.

Also which is the best ISP (hope Ive got that right) on the market at the moment?

Thanks

PF

Comments

• Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    If you just want a decent PC for basic stuff you can't go far wrong with a Dell- keep an eye on the Shop but don't Drop and Grabbit forums where they regularly post up Dell special offers; recently for example you could get a PC with a nice 17" flat LCD monitor for £293 delivered.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=72749

Alternatively you can get a perfectly good laptop for under £400 now if you'd prefer to save space.
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the only thing you want is the internet then a second hand (but reasonable!) PC will do you fine. Don't know about in England but here in Guernsey I know someone picked up 2 Pentium 3s with 128mb ram (i.e. not new but not ancient!) for just a few quid at a local auction!!! These kind of PCs will run Word, Excel, and do dial-up internet with no problems. (as long as it has a modem and excel etc installed!)

Mind you, I wouldn't recommend you start editing your digital photos with it, it could get rather slow! On the other hand - my parents have a very old PC and they edit photos fine - mostly because they aren't very good with PCs so they say they go at the same speed as the computer!

As PCs are generally getting cheaper over time, you could use the old PC to get the hang of it, and upgrade later on if you want to start doing fancier things!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As Rave said, I would take a look at Dell computers. You can get a decent basic machine for less than £500.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure