I am not trying hard....

Comments

• I can relate to so much of this post, my debt was all about living beyond my means rather than need or circumstances and all of it is entirely, fairly and squarely mine.

Although I don't feel like it at the moment I know how fickle I can be and I too have been worrying that, my DFWness is a phase that I have picked up that won't last. I feel more determined than I have ever been to sort this out and I have never stuck at a previous 'phase' this long so my confidence that this is finally it is growing, but there is still a worry in the back of my mind that I will suddenly throw it all away for a holiday or a handbag in a moment of weakness and be back to square one.

Thank you for such an honest post that I can relate to so much of so closely - oh how I wish I had the support of this site ten years ago when my debt was a half sensible amount.

Good luck with turning your (very good) plan into a reality and make sure you give yourself a pat on the back from time to time when you do well.
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Here starteth the DFW ten commandments....

1) Thou shalt not spend money that thou doesn't have!
    ...Linda xx

"Thou shalt not spend money that thou haveth not", for the proper Old Testament feel?
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    I think you should print that first post out, carry in your wallet/purse, and read it whenever you're tempted.
    Anything like me, by the time you've read it, you'll have forgotten what you wanted to buy anyway!!!
  • Excellent post!

...Linda xx

A new money mantra, send it to :money:

and OP :T

I think your original post this should be nominated for post of the month:o
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16

...Linda xx

2.) Thou shalt never pretend not being in debt (and that includes pretending to thyself)

what do you think?
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • CAFCGirl wrote: »
    OH MY GOD!

Del' it's like you've just crawled into my head and written that all out...

I haven't tried nearly as hard as I could, have let myself be tempted and then made out I'm really giving it my all!

Thankyou and well done on having the strength to say it out loud. I think you should be so proud of yourself..... xx

Thank you for saying that (and thanks to you all who said you feel similar). I will be very proud once I get out of debt - and watch this space because I will. and so will you!
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
  • It is really hard never to spend on anything but bills and food when everyone around you, everyone you know seems to be spending like mad; going on holiday, buying furniture, having their kitchen done, buying tickets to an expensive show. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person I know who is short of money. But maybe some of the spenders I know are short of money and are just spending anyway! That was true of me before christmas.

I really hope you can stick to it Deliciosa, and your words have inspired me to try harder too.

Thank you.

I know what you mean, but if you talk to those people, you will probably realise that they are also ind ebt, or even more in debt than you are. I experienced this many times since I "opened up" to my friends about my debt. I do sometimes feel tha I am the only one short of money, and then it turns out that almost everyone is in the same boat. And they sometimes haven't even had their LBM yet.

Theres nothing to envy about them.
  • Excellent post Deliciosa..... and HairyHand, you have just said exactly how I feel! I know there is more that I can do, and I always use 'lack of time' as an excuse, when really I just need to be more organised and get things done - that is true in my life in general I think!

I consider my @r$£ kicked too! Thanks OP

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • I can relate to so much of this post, my debt was all about living beyond my means rather than need or circumstances and all of it is entirely, fairly and squarely mine.

Although I don't feel like it at the moment I know how fickle I can be and I too have been worrying that, my DFWness is a phase that I have picked up that won't last. I feel more determined than I have ever been to sort this out and I have never stuck at a previous 'phase' this long so my confidence that this is finally it is growing, but there is still a worry in the back of my mind that I will suddenly throw it all away for a holiday or a handbag in a moment of weakness and be back to square one.

Thank you for such an honest post that I can relate to so much of so closely - oh how I wish I had the support of this site ten years ago when my debt was a half sensible amount.

Good luck with turning your (very good) plan into a reality and make sure you give yourself a pat on the back from time to time when you do well.

Good luck to you too, you sound very determined and that's half the success anyway! The "suddent throwing away money" thing is familiar - I am now building up the courage to leave all my cards at home or giving them to a friend... using the DEBIT card again and when the balance is near zero, NOT using it. It will be a hard lesson, but I am learning. I am "clean" since Sunday.

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport