Have you reclaimed old bank accounts/savings/investments? Success Stories wanted!

Options

Comments

• moontown
    Options
    hi. i have just put a trace on for 2 savings accounts with the Lloyds TSB & although they emailed me to say they have found the accounts & i will receive notification by letter shortly, the letter now says that they can not find any trace but if i take the two passbooks in with id they will pay the balance plus interest. as both accounts only have a total of £10:00 in each, is it worth the petrol money?
    does anyone know how much the interest rate i is & do they have to pay the interest backdated from the year 1994.
    not sure its worth the journey.
  • moontown
    Options
    Also why do they say by eail that they have traced the accounts & then post a letter 3 days later to say that they can not trace the accounts. Why two different answers. i am anti banks & try not to use them at any stage & like to deal in just cash.
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have an old Alliance and Leicester account from the 90's which I put the details into mylostaccount.com and low and behold it came back saying they had traced my account to Santander. Off I went with book in hand to my local branch only for them to be unable to trace the account!

They have the pass book now and are trying to find out where it is - 6 months later there is no news!
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • rickbonar
    Options
    I have just applied here for all the relevant banks and building societies and for good measure all the other:beer: - just in case they've merged etc.

How long do they take to reply?
  • keithfen1999
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have just found an old Halifax 90 day xtra account savings book that is not stamped closed and has a balance of £11000.91

I went into the branch to enquire of the status of the account, and they could not find it on the system, and told me it was "probably" closed.

The saving book itself is not stamped or marked as closed, and in 1985, there was no internet banking or telephone banking, so SURELY the book would have been required to withdraw the balance and close the account??

It was an account set up as a fund for when I turned 18, in my mums name, and she has no recollection of withdrawing the cash!!!

I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, should I write to head office first and secondly, does anyone have an idea of the current value of this account with interest since 1985?

In '85, the account was earning £576 6 monthly in interest..

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as what to do next.

Many Thanks,

Keithfen1999
  • Murphymycat
    Murphymycat Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    I used The Pension Service to track down an old company pension. I worked at this firm about 18years ago and thought I'd only paid in for a few years so wasn't expecting too much. I heard in about 4 weeks and was told there 2 separate pensions with Aeon. One was for £700 ish which I can cash in when I'm 60 second was for £21,000 which will give me a useful sum to invest plus a small extra sum each year.

So to anybody out there who is not sure just go for it, you never know!
  • amanda29kb
    Options
    Hi

My husbands grandmother passed away about 4 years ago. Amongst her papers was documentation relating to purchasing a large amount of shares in "national Austalia savings". My F in Law has "given up" trying to track down the shares so has given my husband all the documentation and said if we can track them down and sell them on we are welcome to the money.
    Can anyone help? I don't think it will come under lostaccount?
    Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bumping this - surely there might be an equivalent scheme for overseas accounts?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 January 2013 at 12:42AM
    Options
    "National Australia" might not be overseas - could be Clydesdale Bank and/or Yorkshire Bank, both owned by NAB.

But if it is likely to be money in Oz, a quick google reveals their tracing scheme: https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/find-unclaimed-money

Edit: Though re-reading the post of amanda29kb, it might be shares rather than a bank account. In which case I don't know the answer.

And more googling reveals that "National Australia Savings Ltd" was dissolved in 2002 - thus if it's shares in them, they are most likely no longer worth anything.
    http://www.cdrex.com/national-australia-savings-limited-5837467.html
  • AusterityMan
    Options
    The reclaiming website is not https and so your information is not sent securely. Is nobody else worried about the potential for ID theft?

You are putting all the details needed for someone to steal your ID on this website...:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure