We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wet electric central heating

Options

Comments

• scattycat_3
    scattycat_3 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Peat,

Will copy this thread onto the DIY board to see if we can get some replies from users.
    Unfortunately it will then become two seperare threads as replies will only be visible on the board they are posted on.

HTHs Scat
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a great deal of response from the DIY board!
  • kvc
    kvc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Peat

You should contact your local energy efficiency advice centre who will offer you free and impartial advice on home heating. They are likely to have experience of these systems in your area including feedback from callers to the centre. If you phone on freephone 0800 512012 you will be automatically directed to your local office (in the hydro area this will be either Inverness, Dundee or Aberdeen). The Dundee and Aberdeen offices are run by an organisation called SCARF and you can visit the website on https://www.scarf.org.uk

:money:
  • tazmaniandevil_2
    Options
    Hi Peat
    I can't get a mains supply because of the type of building. I installed a Trianco 11KW boiler and a thermal store. I'm currently on Economy 7 tarrif which is quite expensive, but much cheaper than the storage heaters we had previously.
    I reckon we are about £30/week with the new boiler, against over £50/week running storage heaters. Please note, this is our total energy spend.
    Tom
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
  • peat
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed response - been away.
    £30 per week seems quite a lot, is your thermal store system set up such that the electric boiler only heats the water at night during the night-time economy period or do you have to use the more expensive standard rate energy to boost the thernal store during the day?
    My set-up being on economy 10 has a heating boost to the thermal store as required during the three hour afternoon economy period. My last two quarterly bills have been just under £200 each. As the heating was not used very much during those periods I am anticipating (hoping) that my next two bills will be around £300 each which will give an anual cost for energy consumption of £1000.
    I have a 12kw Heatrae Sadia boiler which heats a 250 litre tank to run 11 radiators (although it would be exceptional circumstances to have heat required in all rads at the same time)
  • july_2
    Options
    Hello Pete,
    I am in trouble with my heating system.
    We had Trianco Aztec 12 khw heat exchanger boiler fitted with a thermal storage tank/ emersion heater. Our electricity supplier is EDF (SWEB) E10.
    Using the heating for a 2 hours in the morning and 4/ 5 hours in the evening.
    The system was fitted in Oct. 2006 we have now received our first electricity bill for not quite a full quatre (total of 82 days) £795.00! = approx £9.69 per day?
    E10 tariff with EDF is the first 238 units @ 17.46p then 13.26 thereafter on normal. Economy 4.36p.
    We have 8 radiators running off the system. medium sized 3 bed bungalow
    well insulated. the room temperature control is set at 20.
    What am I doing wrong? I have been intouch with EDF the bill is correct
    for the units used. When the boiler comes on the meter runs at high speed.
    I have had the boilder reduced down to 6khw by my electrician and just heat up the hot water for an hour a day via the emmersion as this only runs at 3 khw. I have also changed to Scottish Power of standard tarrif @ 10.06 per unit. since the E10 rate dont apply for this type of heating. we need the heating on during morning and evening hours. Can you give me any advise.
    I also had trouble with the boiler tripping out and caled out the Trianco eng.
  • peat
    Options
    I don't really understand why you say that economy 10 is not a suitable tariff. Econoomy 10 gives 10 hours at cheap rate in 3 or 3.5 hour tranches usually early morning, afternoon and evening. I use these cheap rate periods to heat the water in the thermal store and then use the stored water for the central heating controlled by a timer to suit my lifestyle.
    How is October to March only 82 days?
  • july_2
    july_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, thank you for getting back to me. no the E10 bill I am referring to is from when the new E10 metre was installed on the 6th nov. 2006 until the bill date. which was for an 82 day period. it is correct the units used were 1733 on low rate and 4381 on the day rate. The reason I say E10 is not suitable is obviously I am doing something wrong! and wasting expensive electricity. because low rates periods of E10 are short periods and my heating is on mainly in the higher rate periods. then I am paying 17p per unit with EDF on E10. I now realise EDF are expensive electricity supplier. which is why I changed to Scottish Power. @ 10p per unit std rate.
    seems as though I am doing something seriously wrong, I havent worked out how to take advantage of cheap rates.? I dont need the heating on all night.but I do heat the hot water during the low rate periods.
    my radiators only come on when the boiler is on.where I am going wrong?

Sounds as though you have got your system running to take advantage of the low rate. Which of course is what I want to do, But I do not understand how that works. I have the heating time clock set for the hours required. The boiler comes on warms the radiators. Are you heating the water into the tank and then running the radiators from the hot water cylinder
    without the boiler running at the same time?
  • peat
    Options
    With my system, I have a 250 litre store of hot water which is heated by the electric boiler during the cheap rate periods. I then use this stored heat when I need it - in my case early morning , late afternoon and then late evening. There is a control unit which I believe is simply a standard (non-specific) control system which allows one to program three on/off periods for hot water and three on/off periodsfor central heating. My hot water on/off periods are the cheap rate electricity periods - this is when the water in the thermal store is heated. The central heating on/off is when I want it to be. The control unit has the option to give a one hour boost/override to either the hot water or central heating after which it will revert to the original settings.
    Hot water for showers/baths etc is direct from a cold mains water feed which goes through a heat exchanger within the thermal store giving hot water at more or less mains pressure.
  • edunton
    edunton Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    peat - how is your installation performing? running costs?

I am soon moving to a village with no gas main, not sure about lpg, and am very interested in electric boiler CH. Running cost WILL be a deciding factor along with installation cost.

Do you have a copy of your installation plan I could have? Details of sourcing the required items and their costs?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family