We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wet electric central heating

Options

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will first need to determine whether or not your electricity supply will be adequate (you need to ask your supplier). You will also need to find a supplier with a suitable tariff (economy 10 or similar)
  • edunton
    edunton Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Peat. yes, I am currently looking for the E10 supplier. I believe the supply fuse to be 100A, but realise that the total amount drawn must be considered, so need to know from your experience what that will be at any given time. The boiler will run at the E10 times (mainly) so shouldn't necessarily combine with cooking etc (or other high drawers).

The plans and info though would be useful to decide if I can in fact fit it in somewhere.
  • peat
    Options
    I never had any plans as such, I just told my local plumber what I was proposing and after a bit of argument/discussion he gave me an estimate of the cost. I use an 12kw Amptec heater coupled to a Thermflow 250 litre cylinder. Running costs look to be in the region of £360 for this quarter, (around £1200 per annum)
  • edunton
    Options
    Thanks Peat. is that £1200 including all electricity or just the Central Heating?

How many rads does that heat up? what was your total outlay for installation please?
  • peat
    Options
    All electricity. 7 rads used daily additional 5 seldom used. The installation cost is not really relevant as we are in different ends of the country (Berks/North Scotland) the costs will depend on the work required and the profit margin of your plumber and builders merchant etc. etc
  • edunton
    Options
    Thanks Peat. I assume you are referring to the McDonald Engineers product "Thermflow 250". I take it that this REPLACES the existing HW cylinder. Is it a "combination unit"? A "boiler model"? I can't find a price for this cylinder - any ideas?

I would like the Amptec heater to heat this up as you described in an ealier post during off-peak and draw the CH from it during the day as necessary. There is already an electric shower (Triton "opal") fed via mains water, and intend to continue with that for showers (same model I use now and works ok). The only other non-CH hot water then would be for hand washing, washing up and the occassional bath.

Radiators will be something like two large ones (4 ft ?) and five smaller (2 ft ?). So I guess it will all be 'big' enough - just the install cost to figure out.

I note McDonald now make a product called ELECTRAflow but it seems halfway between what is being discussed here. If it had a heat exchange coil in the storage part it could presumably be fed by the boiler part (although it could be built with that in mind to begin with).
  • peat
    Options
    There are no prices on the website as they are trade only, if you phone them up they will give you a ballpark figure. You will not need to use an electric shower as with a thermal store system you get hot water at mains pressure via an heat exchange coil within the tank.
  • edunton
    Options
    Assuming the 250 litres is fully heated, how many showers can you get from it without a degradation of the CH heat before the next store heating cycle?

How many litres does an average shower take?

Does one litre of shower water dissipate 1 litre of stored hot water?

I just thought that a separate 'instant' electric shower might be better and keep the CH hotter longer.
  • eden2007
    Options
    I am thinking of replacing Rayburn system with Amptec. Can I use the HW Cyllinder instead Thermflow 250? I just installed a new cyllinder.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    edunton wrote: »
    Thanks Peat. yes, I am currently looking for the E10 supplier. I believe the supply fuse to be 100A, but realise that the total amount drawn must be considered, so need to know from your experience what that will be at any given time. The boiler will run at the E10 times (mainly) so shouldn't necessarily combine with cooking etc (or other high drawers).

The plans and info though would be useful to decide if I can in fact fit it in somewhere.

Hi,

All domestic meters are generally 80-100amp thesedays but there are ones that go 20-60 amps as well.

Your standard cut-out fitted by the LDSO should be 100amp.

If you need more ths this you need to ask for 3 phase supply (since domestics are single phase) however you will need 3 phase wiring to handle it. This would allow more demand on the wholecurrent meter.

If you need more than that you are talking CT metering.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport