Forum Home» Energy

Average Electricity Costs Poll - Page 17

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.7K views

Replies

• Kylie wrote: »
    We have only electricity.

Our "house" is one bedroom.

We spend £5 per DAY on electricity.

Prepayment.

No debt/money owing on the meter. (so they say)

£150 a month? Summer and Winter? The way I see it, you have two options;

a) get rid of that meter or
    b) move

• KylieKylie Forumite
    562 posts
    I looked up on EDF and they say I don't get charged a higher rate because I am on a pre-paid meter.

I also called and they told me my costs are pretty "usual"...

I am NOT convinced.
  • housebughousebug Forumite
    201 posts
    Prepay meters are the worst of a bad lot of utility schemes. We turned down the chance to rent a beautiful flat near the beach in Dorset because it had a prepay electric meter. Been there once, never again.

• My bill was more than £30 last month
    Price Comparison Is The Best Way To Save Money :confused: :T
  • Crikey Kylie, I thought we were bad!! There are 2 adults and 3 children in a 4 bed, 3 floor terrace. Heating, water and cooker are run on gas . Elec is for TV, 2 computers, playstations, Wii, fishtank, radios, fridgefreezer etc etc and we are paying £100 a month for both gas and electricity. Seems your bill for electric alone is quite high in comparison.
    (Might just be me as I'm only now learning to watch these things having spent too many years pre Credit Crunch just trusting it all to go on behind the scenes!!)
    I am not a financial expert and I am not perfect but purrleeaassse don't be mean to me if I express an opinion that may not be quite what you thought. :p
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • housebughousebug Forumite
    201 posts
    Curious to know of the rest of Europe uses mostly LNG for heating too?

• We moved early December last year and have just received our first bill from N Power for electricity. It covers around 6 week and the meter readings ARE accurate. It is just under £300!!

The house is a large 4 bed house, husband works from home so pc on all day, and oven all electric. There are also over 100 spotlights in the house - (we counted) and an attic playroom.

Our usage of general dishwasher, tv, computers, washing machine has not changed. Is this what spotlights do. I am just glad they sent a bill after 6 weeks, so that we can see what adjustments we can make. Has anyone else ever had a bill this high?
  • BeenieCatBeenieCat Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just received my bill for 10th Jan to 10th Feb.

Gas: £81
    Elec: £52

Seems a lot for a 2 bed terraced house, 2 adults, one child.

That's with British Gas who are charging me for gas:

First 117.00 kWh x 7.203p
    Next 902.58 kWh x 3.632p

and for electric:

First 27 kWh x 25.628p =
    Next 265 kWh x 11.242p =

• The house is a large 4 bed house, husband works from home so pc on all day, and oven all electric. There are also over 100 spotlights in the house - (we counted) and an attic playroom.

Our usage of general dishwasher, tv, computers, washing machine has not changed. Is this what spotlights do.

Must double check this before I post, because last time I did this, I got the decimal point in the wrong place! Right, 100 bulbs, say 35watt (they may be 50watt) 100 x 35 = 3500 watts which is 3.5kwh for every hour they're on. So about 45p a day for every hour. Of course, some are probably on for more than an hour. Hmm, think that's right ...
  • We've just received our final electricity bill from npower, for the period 30 December to 28 January. Based on actual meter readings, it is £106.39

This is for a 2 bedroom terraced house with gas central heating and cooker and energy-saving lightbulbs throughout. Fridge/freezer and washing machine are the only large appliances.

Checking my records, we used 7,262 kWh of electricity during 2008, which seems high, since simplyswitch.com lists the average electricity use for a 2 bedroom house at 4,000 kWh per year.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support