Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.8K views

Replies

• I am a single person(late 30-something, single & childfree Thank Ulla) who lives in a high-rise concrete 1-bed flat & my elec cost per year 11/2006-11/2007= £ 414.66 or 6,852units/Yr. no dish washer bar myself, & only do say 2 washes per fortnight on min water temp on one of the shorter wash cycles.
  • just worked out the figures & my annual elec use in units is 2,374 MORE than what is the average for a house-hold per year.
    ME= 6,852
    Avg= 4,478
    got to be the old, inefficent storage heaters from over 20years ago. I think they should be banned AND removed with
  • just worked out the figures & my annual elec use in units is 2,374 MORE than what is the average for a house-hold per year.
    ME= 6,852
    Avg= 4,478
    got to be the old, inefficent storage heaters from over 20years ago. I think they should be banned AND removed with the asbestos.
  • BabycakesBabycakes Forumite
    237 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Heating, Lighting and Computer Equipment (including Sky Plus, Tivo or PVR kit) are responsible for the lion share of electricity bills.

Nowadays, equipment is fitted without proper on/off switches which means that standby electricity costs can really add up.
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just worked out the figures & my annual elec use in units is 2,374 MORE than what is the average for a house-hold per year.
    ME= 6,852
    Avg= 4,478
    got to be the old, inefficent storage heaters from over 20years ago. I think they should be banned AND removed with the asbestos.

The 'average' user does not have storage heaters so why take any notice of these average figure. Obviously if it is an average, some users must be much lower and some much higher.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • we just got our quarterly bills. I live/rent with one other person (flat mate) in a two bed victorian house. GCH, double glazing, and electric. We have energy bulbs where we can, I try and switch things off at the wall, we have a dryer but don't use it unless really pushed (for things like bed sheets) have a dishwasher. Heating, in the winter, was on for an hour (or maybe two hours) in the morning and two hours at night. Our bills work out at 120£ a month for gas and electricity. We are with Scottish Gas and Scottish Power. Does this seem reasonable? I didn't think it was too bad but flat mate is going nuts over it.

The most precious possession that ever comes to a man in this world is a woman's heart.
    -- Josiah G. Holland
  • x.sophie.xx.sophie.x Forumite
    277 Posts
    I live in a one bedroom apartment with my OH. Our bills are also approximately £120 p/m for electricity. However the meter reader to our apartment is faulty- it just reads at 0 constantly. Have tried to get E-On to sort this out, but they just seem to do nothing. Have never ever had a actual reading, so I have nbo idea if we owe money or are owed money!!!

Don't really know what to do about it either. I cant give access to E-On to the meter cupboard as it is locked by the property management team. ITs a right shambles.
  • marcellepmarcellep Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    X.Sophie.X - I would be getting on to E-On and demanding them to sort this and a date and time which suits your management team. Its not acceptable for you to have a faulty meter in this day in age. Your bills must be estimated which means you could end up with a huge bill. I would act on this asap
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • x.sophie.xx.sophie.x Forumite
    277 Posts
    marcellep wrote: »
    Your bills must be estimated which means you could end up with a huge bill. I would act on this asap

Hi Marcellep,

Yes, all our bills have been estimated- for over 1 year. In fact, they have recorded the actual reading of '0' in their statements, but ignore this and go on their estimated readings. I am going to write a letter to them now and see what they do.
  • shelovestobuystuffshelovestobuystuff Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just had my lowest ever gas and elec bills despite the massive price rises.My utility bills were about 2k a year,we did have a really old boiler replaced about a year ago which made a bit of a difference.The gas last quarter was only £87 and elec£120,thats for a big victorian semi.I couldnt believe it was so low but checked the readings and it was all correct.
    We have just been really carefull because of the price hikes to not waste any fuel and changing our habits is making the biggest difference.
    In the evening if it gets a bit nippy we use shawls and throws from the back of the sofas rather than switching the heating on again.We reduced the automatic boiler settings to come on just twice a day during the winter and this makes a massive difference to the bills and the house is still really cosy.
    We change the use of the rooms in winter and summer to match the suns movement and so use the south facing rooms as living rooms during the winter to make best use of the sun heating the house.
    Open curtains early and close them as soon as the sun starts to go down to retain the suns heat built up over the day.
    Now I am going to try to get the electricity bills down too,shame we dont have a stream in our garden or I would build one of those water wheels for electricity.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals