Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.8K views

Replies

• sheilavwsheilavw Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Help....Electric bill received today from Sainsburys. .nothing changed in our house. We have elec fan oven, 2 tv, usual computer,dvds etc, shower and 2 oil filled radiators. Last winter average daily use 12 units, last quarter 17 this quarter 40. bill just over £300 for the quarter, last one 159. THe only thing different is husband put new security light up at back, it is near the vent for boiler and noticed as well as coming on when a cat comes through it also comes on every time i put hot taps on. I ran a bath last night (rare we all usually have showers) and it was on the whole time the bath was running. It has 300 w bulb in. Could this be the huge difference? I rang sainsburys who told me to log use every day and would send booklet to fill in. If it didnt appear to come near 40 units again would come and check meter. Any advice anyone?
  • sheilavwsheilavw Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi can anyone give advice. We use Sainsburys energy for gas and electric. Have fan oven (gas hob and multipoint and fire) house small 3 bed semi. have 2 oil filled radiators (one on a lot one not) and usual 2 tvs dvd computer etc. last winter average use 12 units, last bill 17 this one 40 so bill just over £300 ;. Nothing different except few weeks ago Husband put up new security light at back. Noticed very sensitive and every time hot tap on steam from vent round house sets light to go on. Noticed in evening it comes on quite a lot with this. Usually have showers but last couple of nights had a bath and light on the whole time due to steam coming out of vent. Light has 300 watt bill. Can this cause bill to make such a difference. When last bill £160 we became really careful with lights etc, but this bill just over £300. Sainsburys have asked us to record usage for 5 days and sending booklet to fill in. THey say bill is excessive for what we have. If after filling it in they think it is too high they will have meter checked. Any advice would be appreciated. Could it be the light making the difference?
  • got a new prepay key meter fitted between 8-10 weeks ago now and its been a nightmare, with Brittish Gas , asked for meter to be fitted to repay a debt awith them at £10 a week (debt was app £900 for 9-10 months useage) since the meter was fitted i have been phoning them regarding the high cost of the new meter to which i was told you are a high user the figures are similar to before the meter was fitted. since fitting the meter has gone through 6000+ and accepted £800 in credit, meter reader came out lastnight and i had a word with him and he couldnt believe it asked if i was powering the full street.i. so for 2months i have put in the same amount roughly that i used in the 10months previous. i do have wet electric heating on for 1-2 hrs morming and prob 3-4 hrs at night been trying not to use it since new meter, have a laptop and kids have the usual games etc.
    also the washing machine was broken for a month since new meter and dryer aint been used either.

badly neeed some advice as BG dont seem interested, ive read up on the heating and most people have yearly useage of app 1000-1200, i got an lcd tv but it is only 180w draw
    house is 3 bed and we got 2 kids who aint that bad with lights etc

im registered disabled and on benifits so this aint good

i also have a letter here from BG stating that my consumption from 15/8/07-21/01/08 is 2565kWh so what the hell

any help/ advice would be great

toby
  • hi
    would be grateful for help/advice
    I changed job and so changed dates of my direct debits
    I have gas, electric and homecare with british gas and they changed these but "forgot" to activate the electric direct debit - both others were charged and were up to date. When I finally managed to get the issue resolved after some 17 letters to British Gas, only one of which was answered, we agreed that I would pay £40 a month for 10 months for the arrears and then £70 a month for my electric (bearing in mind I'm out at work 7-6 every day and heating is gas central heating with a gas bill of £77 a month)
    I've now got a letter stating I need to pay £245 a month - I really cant afford this and dont see how I can use this much electricity. I have a tumble dryer which is rarely used (once a month or so), no lights are unnecessarily left on, one tv on in the evening and a virgin media box on standby
    any clues as to what i should do?
  • evosy1978evosy1978 Forumite
    593 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hello all.

We had our electricity bill today and basically we are using 4200kwh per year.

The items we use are -

28"tv - 8hrs per day
    freeviewbox - 8hrs per day
    indoor fish tank pump/ heater 24hrs per day
    fridge 24hrs per day
    freezer 24hrs per day
    laptop 10 hrs per day
    Wireless 10 hrs per day
    Switch to turn on gas boiler? 12hrs per day
    Airiel booster 10 hrs per day
    stereo 7 hrs per week
    Turntables/mixer 7 hr per week
    Microwave oven 3.5hrs per week
    Dishwasher 7hrs per week
    Washing machine 5 hrs per week
    Toaster 1hr per Week
    Kettle 1 hr per Week
    Hairdryer 1 hr per week
    Cooker 2 hrs per week
    george foreman 1 hr per week
    Steamer 2 hrs per week
    Hair straightners 3 hrs per week

Light bulbs x 7 are all energy savers.
    Theres also an outside light and smoke alarm.
    Its a two bedroom 1920 terrace. 2 people.

Could anyone tell me if the usuage adds up more or less to my bill qouta. Seems alot to me when the average is about 3000 per year.

thanks for any advice
  • sheilavw wrote: »
    Help....Electric bill received today from Sainsburys. .nothing changed in our house. We have elec fan oven, 2 tv, usual computer,dvds etc, shower and 2 oil filled radiators. Last winter average daily use 12 units, last quarter 17 this quarter 40. bill just over £300 for the quarter, last one 159. THe only thing different is husband put new security light up at back, it is near the vent for boiler and noticed as well as coming on when a cat comes through it also comes on every time i put hot taps on. I ran a bath last night (rare we all usually have showers) and it was on the whole time the bath was running. It has 300 w bulb in. Could this be the huge difference? I rang sainsburys who told me to log use every day and would send booklet to fill in. If it didnt appear to come near 40 units again would come and check meter. Any advice anyone?

300w lamp ,1amps or so! halogen sounds like.its defently not a good idea near any heat flue the waves will keep setting it off. reduce the lamp wattage ! shift the light !caution part p electrician for outside work, replace with sensor and energy lamp built in or a mini hal 150watt
  • SwanJonSwanJon Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    From energywatch's website
    http://www.energywatch.org.uk/help_and_advice/saving_money/index.asp
    Consumption

Low user - if your annual consumption is 1,650 kWh electricity and 10,000 kWh gas
    Medium user - if your annual consumption is 3,300 kWh electricity and 20,500 kWh gas
    High user - if your annual consumption is 4,950 kWh electricity and 28,000 kWh gas
    For Economy 7 rate electricity use 3,300 kWh (low), 6,600 kWh (medium) and 9,900 kWh (high). Economy 7 rate bills assume a 55% night time usage.
  • GinaewraGinaewra Forumite
    6 Posts
    Hello,

we have electric heating and we have a serious problem.
    We moved in 6 weeks ago. We had a meter reading provided by out letting agency but unfortunately we didn't check it then. What happened is that it seems since that time we have use over 1250kWh!

First reading was: 05091.4
    Today's one: 6349.7

As for me it's rather immpossible as we both work and each day we are out for 10-12h. We (two adults) have one bedroom flat. We switch off all of our heaters (three DIMPLEX panel heaters) during a working day. Our kitchen appliances (washing machine, fridge, microwave and hob) are A/B rated. We do not have a telly. We use energy saving bulbs. All the heaters work on 1/3 (very rarely and for short period of time on 1/2) of maximum power. We leave only one heater on for a night (1/5 of maximum power). What's more we have an Aquatronic shower - used only for quick showers - and a boiler for heating water.

We have only primary unit rate (unfortunately)(EON).
    What should we do? Pay or not to pay...? Or ask for estimated bill? What to do for future?
    I'll appreciate any help.
    Kind regards,
    Ginaewra
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ginaewra wrote: »
    What should we do? Pay or not to pay...? Or ask for estimated bill? What to do for future?
    I'll appreciate any help.
    Kind regards,
    Ginaewra

You would have been better starting a new thread but read your meter and then read it again 24 hours later. Do this a few times to find out what your normal consumption actually is and do the sums regarding costs. You consumption seems to be about 208kWh per week but you are all electric and standard rate electric is the most expensive for heating!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • GinaewraGinaewra Forumite
    6 Posts
    Thanks for your reply.
    Sorry for posting in this thread. I thought my post should have suited here as it's all about electricity costs and mine seem to be quite interesting.
    Anyway, I'll start a new thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides