Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.8K views

Replies

• zoelouise88zoelouise88 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    i live in a 2 bed falt with just me and my son (2yrs old) and ours is between £140 (summer) -£200 (winter) per month
    Wins for 2011: ........................

Weight Lose Challenge: 7/1/11 60lbs to lose 23/1/11 17 lbs lost :) 43lbs to go!!
  • alcozaralcozar Forumite
    9 Posts
    Price increases are a complete rip-off, surely at least one of these companies can permannetly cap prices for at least 5-10 years so you don't need to keep swopping providers.
  • Hi everyone,
    Desperately need help!! we kept getting estimated bills through from edf and then one day we got an actual bill through for £3,500!! We thought there had to be a mistake but edf said that we had used the electric up and our estimated bills hadn't been covering the cost. Now we're paying £60 a month and that's not covering the amount we use each month, and so that £3500 bill is just getting bigger! We studied our meter for over a week and we're using between 26 and 31 units a day (in a week we used up 164 units) We only have electric. 4 people live in teh house though one is away most weekends and another most evenings.We have no heating on in the house just a coal fire, we have a water immersion on for about half an hour a day, the washing machine maybe once or twice a day, the computer on for most of the day, a max of 3 five to ten min showers in a day, then there's usual fridge, tv, and freezer etc. No tumble drier, no dishwasher, no heating, we're really careful with lights and use candles all teh time! It's getting to the point where we're scared to use the shower and teh washing machine!! We thougth our meter might be faulty so we had a new one put in and we're still using teh same amount of units! Does this sound normal or is there something wrong??
  • emweaveremweaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Has anyone noticed British Gas orices have gone up again? Ive not saw anything on the news but noticed my bill was a LOT higher so rang them and they had a rise in Jan and Feb!!

Looking at my bill my old rates were first tier 9.791p then 2nd tier 8.291p

In Jan 1st tier went to 17.427p and 2nd tier 9.026p.

From Feb the 1st tier is now 17.850p and 2nd tier is 7.856p.

Now thats some sort of rise! What makes it more annoying is according to U Switch there isnt a cheaper provider in my area!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • kezza12kezza12 Forumite
    130 Posts
    well me and the hubby live in a small 2up 2 down house we are both hardly in, have roughly the same stuff going as you with the addition of a dryer and we pay 35 for electric and 30 for gas per month so i would say that if there are 4 of you in the house at different times of the day at any time then you are drastically underpaying if you are only paying £60 per month it just seems a little low to me don't quote me on that obviously but it really does seem a little low.
    Hi everyone,
    Desperately need help!! we kept getting estimated bills through from edf and then one day we got an actual bill through for £3,500!! We thought there had to be a mistake but edf said that we had used the electric up and our estimated bills hadn't been covering the cost. Now we're paying £60 a month and that's not covering the amount we use each month, and so that £3500 bill is just getting bigger! We studied our meter for over a week and we're using between 26 and 31 units a day (in a week we used up 164 units) We only have electric. 4 people live in teh house though one is away most weekends and another most evenings.We have no heating on in the house just a coal fire, we have a water immersion on for about half an hour a day, the washing machine maybe once or twice a day, the computer on for most of the day, a max of 3 five to ten min showers in a day, then there's usual fridge, tv, and freezer etc. No tumble drier, no dishwasher, no heating, we're really careful with lights and use candles all teh time! It's getting to the point where we're scared to use the shower and teh washing machine!! We thougth our meter might be faulty so we had a new one put in and we're still using teh same amount of units! Does this sound normal or is there something wrong??
    I am now debt free! Whoop whoop! :money::beer:
  • Hello, I'm new here and in a right state about my electric usage.

I am with Powergen, who are now E-On... (or E-Vil) as I like to call them.

I joined Powergen way back in 2004, I got a bill from them in Jan 2004 and then never heard anything from them again for over a year, I called every month asking them to send me a bill and they said that they had sent them out and that frankly I was mad....

In the end I told them to check the billing address on the mailing system, and lo and behold. all my bills were being sent to a completeley different address.
    a whole years worth of bills, were then sent to me and the cost (after me getting £300 compensation) was over £1400.

I agreed to pay them £165 per month to pay this debt and current usage.
    This I have been doing until Dec 2007 when I paid it up and then went onto a current usage plan of paying them £107 per month. (This figure was based on my usage)

March 11th 2008 my quarterly bill came in and was horrified to find I was another £502 in DEBT to them. Even after paying them £107 per month for three months...
    I told my mum, and she asked to have a gander at my Consumption usage.

She said the usage must be wrong because it says, 2776 kWh for Dec 07 - March 08. I asked what hers was and she says 550 kWh for the same period.
    I wouldnt mind but I live in a tiny end terrace 2 bed home, just me, my husband and our child.

I called E-on up to ask about what the national average was for quarterly consumption. to be told its about 35 units per day. and thats normal apparently.
    (in other words she noticed thats normal for my house) I told her my meter must be wrong, and she said they charge £93 to have it checked.
    I told her in no uncertain terms will I be paying for a meter that is their responsibility to maintain. My meter is 21 years old.
    I was a bit stressed.

She says its pefectly normal for my house to be using that much electricity. even after I told her that my mums boyfriend who actually used to work at Powergen in the billing department almost had a fit when he saw my usage.

I said to her, that she has no idea how long my meter has been giving huge readings, so how would she be able to calculate what my average usage is.
    So we did the "whats in your home, appliance test"

Lounge:
    32" LCD TV on about 6 hours a day
    Sky Box - On when TV is on
    DVD Player (Off - only used 2 hours per week)
    PS3 (used 1 hour per day)
    VHS (very rarely used and off)
    2 Halogen light fittings, hardly used at all.
    Lamp with a 20 watt bulb (Used each night)
    PC / Monitor used through the day and night by all three of us.

I have Gas Central Heating with an energy efficent Combi Boiler which heats our radiators and hot water (when needed)

Kitchen:
    I have a fridge freezer,
    Washer / Dryer (although dryer is hardly used)
    Electric Oven which is used for about 45 minutes per day,
    and the normal Kettle (10 times per day)
    Toaster (used about 4 times per week)
    Microwave (Used once a week for 5 minutes)
    Kitchen light fitting, halogen bulbs each 20 watts (only 1 works)
    hall light - standard 40 watt bulb
    Vacum cleaner - Used every other day for ten minutes
    Upper landing Light - energy efficent bulb

Bathroom spotlights x 2 halogen bulbs

Shower is not electric

2 Bedrooms, each with a light fitting - with low wattage bulbs (hardly used) & 1 Lamp in each (used a lot)

My sons room has a small portable TV which he plays his Game cube on for about 1 hour per day.

In our bedroom we have a small midi hi fi which is used once in a blue moon, and I use the iron each day for a couple of minutes when needed, the hair straighners & hair dryer every other day for about ten minutes.

and thats It.

And it makes me laugh because I do try my best to save energy, I dont leave appliances on stand by, I turn off lights when room is not in use. I had an energy efficent combi fitted.

So the Lady at E-On basically told me I was mad and that my usage was pefectly normal and about 35 units per day is the national average.

I told her I didnt believe her.

I registered with E-On for online billing (as Id shredded all my paper bills) and checked out my usage since the end of 2004

Dec 04 - March 05 - 3078 kWh* (Usage from Actual meter readings*)

March 05 - June 05 - 2052 kWh *

June 05 - Sept 05 - 1689 kWh *

Sept 05 - Dec 05 - 2265 kWh*

Dec 05 - March 06 - 3321 kWh*

March 06 - June 06 - 2131 kWh (partially Estimated)

June 06 - Sept 06 - 1493 kWh (Estimated)

Sept 06 - Dec 06 - 1848 kWh *

An additional Month was added to this bill and they calculated from
    Dec 8 06 to Jan 17 07 - 1168 kWh (Powergen's ESTIMATED USEAGE For ONE month!!)

Jan 07 - April 07 - 2619 kWh Estimated

April 07 - June 07 ( TWO months Useage) 873 kWh Estimated

June 07 - Sept 07 - 1468 kWh*

Sept 07 - Dec 07 - 2230 kWh*

Dec 07 - March 08 - 2776 kWh*

Does this seem rather excessive to anybody? and does anyone have any idea's for me... we are going to turn everything off in the house to see if the meter keeps going round.

If these readings are over the top...E-on owes me a few pound.

I look forward to hearing any tips or suggestions, Best wishes Mica :)
  • Seem to be comming close to being on a par With Council Tax. Well mine are coming close.
    How is it, that the Pound against the dollar is near enough on record levels, well 2-1 approx, the price per barrel of oil is charged in dollars, yet our petrol prices have gone bezerk.

What an excellent site.
  • SwanJonSwanJon Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    emweaver wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed British Gas orices have gone up again? Ive not saw anything on the news but noticed my bill was a LOT higher so rang them and they had a rise in Jan and Feb!!

Looking at my bill my old rates were first tier 9.791p then 2nd tier 8.291p

In Jan 1st tier went to 17.427p and 2nd tier 9.026p.

From Feb the 1st tier is now 17.850p and 2nd tier is 7.856p.

Now thats some sort of rise! What makes it more annoying is according to U Switch there isnt a cheaper provider in my area!

British Gas did not raise their standard prices in Feb.
    Are you on a protected tariff (Feb 2009?) or a special tariff? It should say on your bill.
    At their Jan price rise they made the amount you use at the first tier smaller, which is why the rise looks so big (It was the first 900kWh a year, now it is the first 500kWh).
    As such with tier 1 going up 0.423p/kWh and Tier 2 going down 1.17p/kWh it looks like a price drop, not a rise.
  • SwanJonSwanJon Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mica - The average (according to Energywatch) is 3300 kWh/year, but just use that as a ballpark figure.
    You are using about 8745 kWh a year - on the high side for electric heating users.
    The meter is registering the electricity, and to be honest, they don't tend to go wrong often, and even then not by a huge amount - less than 10%.
    That could be the problem though, but don't get your hopes up. If the meter is faulty, they should refund the cost of the test.
    Do you have a friendly electrician who could give the wiring a once over? If there was a short circuit somewhere it might cause an increase (but the heat woud go somewhere).
    You could have something else wired up to your house. I've heard (although might be an urban myth) of a customer having the street lights wired up to their meter! Or maybe a neighbour?
    Have you tried turning everything off and wathcing the meter? or each fuse in turn? That might give you an idea where the problem lies.

Good luck
  • Daz1Daz1 Forumite
    125 Posts
    I pay £15 per month direct debit. In summer I build up credit on my account (in Oct was in credit approx £60) so obviously use less than that and eat into the credit balance in winter, bringing my credit total down. Guess on average £15 would be my answer. I do use the following tips though:-

-All light bulbs energy-efficient (apart from spotlights in the kitchen)
    -Lights only on in the room I am in
    -All appliances off at the switch (not in standby mode)
    -Turn off oven 10-15mins before cooking time elapses (residual heat will continue to cook the food-just don't open the door too much
    -Turn off iron 1-2 minutes before finishing the ironing (iron stays hot but doesn't suck power)
    -Listen to the small portable radio when doing housework instead of having the TV and box on MTV or music channel for background music
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals