Forum Home» Energy

Average Electricity Costs Poll - Page 18

New Post Advanced Search

Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.6K views

Replies

• Ok try 3000 units (KWH ) for 3 months, in a small two bed flat totaling nearly £400 thats £1600 a year. Thins is our first bill. we have E7 water and heating, but only have 1 heater on. I'm currently investigating the usage as something is amiss here.
  • We live in a 1 bed flat in Edinburgh city centre...moved in in June 08, just had our first electricity bill through today - £64, estimated reading.

After a look at our meter and some quick sums, I calculate the correct bill to be almost £780! That's about £95 a month since we've been here! We've got gas heating, but electric cooker, hob, dishwasher and tumble drier, but SURELY £95 a month for a 1 bedroom flat can't be right?!
  • MagentasueMagentasue Forumite
    4.2K posts
    asirling: Dishwasher. Tumble drier. Oh dear. Electric heating? Hot water?
  • Hot water and heating are both gas...

I should also add the the flat has only got spotlights in the ceiling....13 in the living room/kitchen alone. I guess the bill doesn't sound that unrealistic after all...
  • MagentasueMagentasue Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Well, it does sound high if you don't have electric heating. We are a family of six, dishwasher and washing machine on every day. Couple of hours tumble drying every week. Four kids (teens/adults) with TV, x box yada, yada most of the day (they're all in and out different times. So we're high users but I try to be careful - energy saving lamps, economy programmes on appliances etc.

We use 13kwh a day average summer. 16kwh average winter. Works out about £50 a month - how does that compare to what your meter told you?
  • ah_hengah_heng Forumite
    42 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Kylie wrote: »
    We have only electricity.

Our "house" is one bedroom.

We spend £5 per DAY on electricity.

Prepayment.

No debt/money owing on the meter. (so they say)

During winter

Wow.. that's high!! ;)

My case is 3 adults, 2 bed. Only Electricity. With British Gas Energy 6. About 150kW per wk. The bill comes up to about 11pounds a week. Not too bad I guess.

I sign up for Energy 6 with BG in Nov. Does that means it will last at least for 1 yr before they can change my contract?

Thanks...
  • I got my electricity bill yest it is £660 for 3 months? I pay £110 per month on DD, and £42 for the gas, I now owe another £300 on the elec and £160 on the gas as that was £667 for 6 months both with the same supplier. I've been complaining something can't be right as I am a normal 3 bed semi, 4 people (17 - 42) all new white goods over 2 years, energy saving everything and still I can not get my bills down. Spoken to so many people who say something is so so wrong here but can't get any sense out of Southern Electric other than thats what you need to pay as you've used it. What would be your next move, the CAB ? I'm stumped
  • ah_hengah_heng Forumite
    42 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I got my electricity bill yest it is £660 for 3 months? I pay £110 per month on DD, and £42 for the gas, I now owe another £300 on the elec and £160 on the gas as that was £667 for 6 months both with the same supplier. I've been complaining something can't be right as I am a normal 3 bed semi, 4 people (17 - 42) all new white goods over 2 years, energy saving everything and still I can not get my bills down. Spoken to so many people who say something is so so wrong here but can't get any sense out of Southern Electric other than thats what you need to pay as you've used it. What would be your next move, the CAB ? I'm stumped

Wow... that's huge bill!! I always do a weekly check on my actual usage.. just inc case i over use on something, i kno where to cut...

another alternative, change supplier.
  • PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K posts
    shogx wrote: »
    I believe the best way to cut your energy bill is to have your own power system. If you are interested in learning exactly how to generate power and reduce your bill, check what this guy has to offer here at Earth4Energy.com. You might want to consider it.

Or you could eat a huge plateful of spam?

Havent you been warned already about your spamming of the boards?
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seriously, I would never buy anything from a site so desperate to get at my money it puts a messages up on the screen saying its putting you through to an operator before letting you navigate away from the site.

Dodgy isnt the word..
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support