PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    yup freeze it, i love getting them reduced and freezing for treats later
  • merlin777
    merlin777 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    i want to make a fish pie in parsley sauce with this. Will it survive the freezing and reheating process or will it go watery etc?
  • hbk2006
    hbk2006 Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, you were all so helpful the last time I posted and was hoping you could help me again :o

Well since I was last on here, I have learned how to cook some basic (edible!!) meals and now am trying to move on to the next stage!

I can cook spaghetti bolognaise, a chicken pasta in a creamy sauce and bean curry and have been told if I cook more than needed, I can freeze it but that's where I got confused! :o

So my questions:

1. Can the above dishes all be frozen? (do I freeze the spaghetti as well?)
    2. Can they be frozen in freezer bags?
    3. (Most important question) How to I recook them once frozen? Do I defrost? Bung in oven? Zap in microwave?

Im so lost and really hope you can offer some more advice!

Thanks

Lou
    :D....It's nice to be nice.....:D
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Well done for learning to cook some tasty dishes! :D

Bolognaise and curry freeze extremely well. I am not absolutely sure about the creamy dish as I am allergic to dairy so don't cook creamy dishes but I am pretty sure it would be ok.

You CAN freeze cooked pasta, but it is nicer to cook it from scratch and it is so quick. It can go a tiny bit mushy when frozen cooked.

Ok, so, you can freeze them in freezer bags. In fact, if you make sure the freezer bag is very well sealed and then kind of flatten it out and lay it down in the freezer you can save space by making little flat slabs of food that will stack :)

As for defrosting, the ideal thing would be to take the freezer bag out in the morning of the day you want to use it, then by dinner time it should be defrosted. You then need to take the food out of the freezer bag and put it into whatever you want to heat it in. I usually reheat in a casserole dish or Pyrex dish with a lid in the microwave, but you could do it in a saucepan on the hob or I suppose in the oven. Whatever method you use, make sure you heat the food until it is really, really bubbling hot.

However, sometimes we are forgetful and you may end up wanting to defrost something more quickly. For this, I would get it out of the freezer bag if you can (you should be able to kind of pop it out, but may need to cut the bag) and put into a microwaveable container with a lid, and put in your microwave on a defrost setting. How long this takes will depend on how much there is - maybe start with 5 mins then keep checking. Then once it is defrosted you can heat either in microwave, on hob or in oven until bubbling hot.

Good luck and hopefully you will become a freezing convert! :D it is SO easy to make a bit extra, freeze it and then have a lazy home cooked meal for another day. And some things like bolognaise and curry even taste better when reheated.
  • louisaL
    louisaL Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

I've found a recipe for cabbage casserole which consists of
    red cabbage
    apple
    onion
    raisin
    chicken stock/dry white wine.

cooked for an hr in a casserole dish.

would really appreciate someone's view on freezing.
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    yes I freeze a similar recipe & it freezes really well :)
  • hbk2006
    hbk2006 Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Daisiegg, that was a really helpful post! One more question, what about reheating dishes with rice in them (like risotto etc)? I know rice shouldn't be reheated but I used to bung egg fried rice from the Chinese in the microwave the day after and am still here to tell the tale!

:D....It's nice to be nice.....:D
  • madnotstupid
    Options
    I've heard that rice shouldn't ever be reheated but like you hbk2006 have always nuked leftover takeaway rice. As I understand it, the 'safest' thing to if you are going to reheat rice, is to get it to cool as quickly as possible once cooked. Freeze as soon as it is cold, and make sure you heat it to piping hot all the way thru before eating.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rice is fine to reheat as long as it was cooled as soon as you served whatever was needed....anyway rice doesn't take long to cook from scratch so only cook as much as needed in the first place.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    I have frozen and reheated rice dishes like risotto and have never got sick. As others say, cool it quite quickly and then when you reheat make sure you heat really well. Mind you, I don't do this often as frozen rice can go a bit mushy and yuk - and like pasta, rice is pretty quick to cook!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure