PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Repossession, Repossession, Repossession

Options

Comments

• Phirefly
    Phirefly Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    jyonda wrote: »
    is it more of a hobby?

amusing

golf... going to the cinema... attending repossessions....
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Well, people naively/stupidly believed that if they were offered credit, then they must be able to afford it, and now many of these same people are going round blaming the banks/lenders for getting them into this mess.

Personally I'd like to see people take responsibility for their own stupidity and actions, and stop trying to blame their failures on other people, so I hope this business journalist isn't going to try blaming it on banks and lenders, making all those people being repossessed feel like victims.

They're not victims, they made their own mistakes, didn't do the maths, didn't plan into the future, didn't plan for unforseen circumstances.

I really hate the no blame culture in this country!

I confess to being a thicko and we will have taken 3 yrs to pay off what we borrowed. But we trusted the financial institutions who checked our status and so it felt like it was OK.
    Worse, we probably could have got a further £150k if we had chosen to.

NOW I am Mrs smart (aged 44) as I understand compound interest and all the little tricks so i am less thick now.
    However, I know of families on a fraction of our income who have huge debt and I feel sympathy...not everyone did an economics or math degree.

Actually I can prove my thickness...invite came from loan co. today telling me that we have 3 payments left (and would I like some more?) and I noticed original ammount borrowed as £23,762.00....I remember £20,000.
    Yup, they slapped on "credit-care" insurance and I didn't notice! How totally thick is that.
    Still a reclaim will while away the winter nights.

Oh and I am a bit PC thick too...is there a link I can go to to watch this show? Don't want to be left out :o
  • saver2000
    Options
    This fool is spamming the forum with the same link - the 'guy' clearly has issues that go beyond his lack of understanding of the housing market! :rotfl:

A quick browse through the videos reveals this gem:

"Women prefer home-owners not rent forever losers" :rotfl:
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anyway to watch this after the event? I know I will be unable to and don't have any way of recording it.
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see people take responsibility for their own stupidity and actions, and stop trying to blame their failures on other people.....

They're not victims, they made their own mistakes, didn't do the maths, didn't plan into the future, didn't plan for unforseen circumstances.

I really hate the no blame culture in this country!

Hear! Hear!

:T :T :T :T :T
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    jyonda wrote: »
    Out of curiosity Jorgan, in what capacity do you attend repossessions? Have you seen a marked increase in this area professionaly or is it more of a hobby?

I'm an estate agent so I attend them on behalf of the lender, the baliff signs the property over to me as a representative of the lender.

There is no way I'd attend them as a hobby, seeing the distress & upset the people being repossessed go through, I don't think anybody would class it as a hobby.

I have seen an increase in the number of repossessions I have to attend in the last 12 months. I started in this business in 1991 so I've been here before, but its no way near as bad.
  • Phirefly
    Phirefly Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Jorgan wrote: »
    seeing the distress & upset the people being repossessed go through, I don't think anybody would class it as a hobby

Sounds grim :( sorry I made light of it
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    Phirefly wrote: »
    Sounds grim :( sorry I made light of it

It can be very grim. The worst ones, all in the early 90's, include spotting a pair of shoes swinging through the loft access, a homeowner dousing himself in petrol & setting fire to himself and one that will stick with me for ever. We arrived at the property to find the dog in the car, the neighbour came out concerned that the dog had been in the car for an hour, which was unusual. When we gained access the smell of gas was obvious, the owner was in the lounge in front of the unlit fire. He had left a note saying, 'You've had my house, you've had my marriage, you've had me. Look after the dog'
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah, I think people should remember that when they gleefully talk about horror stories about to happen :( It hits some people very hard.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport