PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

making homemade cheese

Options

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used one muslin cloth.
    By the way i made some paneer and put it in oil with Achari masala, (indian pickle spices) and won a prize at a cheese tasting :)

Ciao Caterina!!! How are you?;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote: »
    I used one muslin cloth.
    By the way i made some paneer and put it in oil with Achari masala, (indian pickle spices) and won a prize at a cheese tasting :)

Ciao Caterina!!! How are you?;)

Thanks! What size cloth was it? I can only find singles of 45 x 45cms - will that be big enough, do you think?
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shirley Goode (a cook from some years ago) had a recipe for making a soft cheese from home made yogurt.

It involved straining yogurt through muslin (I think) and adding chopped fresh herbs to make a soft cheese.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks! What size cloth was it? I can only find singles of 45 x 45cms - will that be big enough, do you think?
    It was just one of the standard sized muslin cloths which i had from Boots baby department.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A woman of my years should be in bed and not inveigled into reminding myself that I made cheese by straining yogurt many years ago...really must do it again!

Caterina...are you Sardinian? I love Sardinia and am off for my only visit this year on 22nd September, I share a house near Alghero with my brother. I must say that I have had some amazing 'homemade' cheeses there over the years...never mind very potent homemade Limoncello!

Night all, sleep well,

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Rowan_2
    Rowan_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I fancied making hard cheese a few weeks ago, and bought this womans kit (from an Aussie site as I am based there now, don't know where to get it, or something similar back in the UK) http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/21.html

It has the rennet and other bits and pieced needed to make cheddars and all sorts, the only one I have tried so far is the mozzarella. It didn't take too long at all, was dead simple and loads of fun to do, especially the kneading phase! And at the end, I had a huge ball of tasty home made mozzarella. I am intending to try feta and cheddar and Parmesan at some point (though these need time to mature, and I don't have that sort of patience ...)

• ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You know when you make the paneer cheese, can you use skimmed milk? (I'm thinking of the calories you see!)
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just bumping to see if anyone knows the answer to the question I asked above
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • mam2dylan02
    Options
    Just incase anyone wants to make cheese with Rennet, they had it in my tesco today. VegeRen its called.........vegetarian rennet, for 54p!
    I bought some, and god knows when and if i'll use it but thought it was too cheap to pass up!! lol:rotfl:
    "IM JUST SITTING HERE WATCHING THE WHEELS GO ROUND AND ROUND, I REALLY LOVE TO WATCH THEM ROLL. NO LONGER RIDING ON THE MERRY-GO-ROUND. I JUST HAD TO LET IT GO"
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote: »
    a quart (2 pints) and 2 and a half tbs lemon juice. Sorry for being vague in the first place! I made it for a large cheese party and won first prize for most interesting cheese, as i made the cheese then put it in some oil with achari masala (indian pickle spices)

I've just made my cheese, curds draining as I type :money:

Just posting to say that I had to use 4 tablespoons of lemon juice before it curdled. I started off with 2 and half, but nothing happened, so I added more half a spoon at a time, then it suddenly turned.

Smells lovely though, nothing like I imagined :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family