PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

making homemade cheese

Options

Comments

• moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Another soft cheese I'm afraid. Get a carton of plain yoghourt, I used value from Tesco. Use a clean and boiled thin piece of cloth and put the yoghurt in the cloth. Tie it closed and put so it hangs over a bowl. You could put the cloth parcel in a sieve.

Leave it overnight. It can be lightly salted and flavoured with garlic. It is really nice.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    jlwhite - I have a (French) book 'how to make cheese' so I've had a look for you. The book covers all sorts of cheeses, including feta and camembert-style things. But it says in the introduction that making hard cheeses is complex and long and can really only be done successfully by people who possess semi-industrial equipment. So the news does not seem to be very good..... :-(
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Found a link for how to make your own cheddar cheese - go on someone, have a go and tell us all about it :p looks faaaaaaar too complicated for me to even read down to the bottom, let alone have a go :D

http://www.allotment.org.uk/allotment_foods/3_Making_Cheddar_Cheese.php
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• Rupa
    Rupa Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    If you are making paneer, try sieveing the curd, then mixing it with a little of the whey. Add sugar to taste and some double cream. Don't mix the curd too much, leave it a bit lumpy. It's delicious!
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

Henry David Thoreau.
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Making cheese at home... thats just crazy talk!

Mind you that link from Nix143 is quite interesting. Not sure how you'd press it at home though.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • jlwhite
    jlwhite Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    champys wrote: »
    jlwhite - I have a (French) book 'how to make cheese' so I've had a look for you. The book covers all sorts of cheeses, including feta and camembert-style things. But it says in the introduction that making hard cheeses is complex and long and can really only be done successfully by people who possess semi-industrial equipment. So the news does not seem to be very good..... :-(

Thanks for looking. I've just clicked on the link below your post and yes it does seem pretty complicated. Think I'll stick to the Catherdral City!:D

.....besides, someone thought I was about to have a baby yesterday:eek: (I'm not pregnant) so maybe should lay off the cheese anyway!!!!
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what a great thread to pop up!

DD asked me yesterday why cottage cheese is so called. I guessed that it's because you could easily make it at home (or in your cottage) and of course her logical next question was "can we make some then?"

well we can't discourage the next generation can we, so I'd better have a go (gulp!)
    weaving through the chaos...
  • jlwhite
    Options
    Oooh..... cottage cheese would be great to make at home. Plus that's usually low fat, right?
  • jlwhite
    Options
    Just found this site http://mi.essortment.com/makecottageche_rloh.htm with a recipe!

or this one http://schmidling.com/making.htm which sounds a bit easier
  • jlwhite
    Options
    Sounds like one for a rainy day with plenty of time on my hands
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income