Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day. - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Shop but don't drop
84 replies 116.6K views

Replies

• when should i buy flowers for valentines day?
    if i buy them now, then i know that the likes of asda will have them in stock, but how will this affect there quality come valentines day, or do i leave it until tomorrow, when the only opportunity i will have to get any is at the night, is this leavin it a bit late, do you think say asda etc will have sold out by then, or only have tat left??

Thankss

Rob
  • I was thinking of buying from Asda or similar until I read these threads. Decided to buy from local florist, close to my wifes place of work. Lovely friendly lady on the phone, would supply whatever I wanted from £25 up plus £3 delivery. Opted for £30 to include some roses and lillies (my wifes favourite). I was assured they would look lovely, and I believe her (noted and accept earlier comments about lost impact if delivered by courier in box !!!).
    Sometimes you pay a little more.......:rotfl:
  • I too sorted mine yesterday. Local florist, Grand Prix rose delivered on Thurs minimum packaging £10. Ticked all my boxes.:j
  • daveybuk wrote: »
    You're not the only one that will never use Tesco again. I did just post this elsewhere, so sorry if you've seen it - but this is obviously a more relevant place to recount my experience.

Last week, I spent £45 to order some Valentines Day Cala Lillies for my partner from Tesco Direct Flowers - her favourite kind. Only Monday deliveries were available.

I knew she wouldn't be at home all weekend so had to go for that. However, the bouquet was delivered 48 hours early on Saturday, supposedly signed for by her (even though she was 60 miles away - with me). Consequently, by the time she got them, most of the bouquet - which to be honest was pitiful anyway for the price - was dead.

This, according to Tesco Customer Service, is all my fault as it is stated "clearly" (i.e. in the small print) that Monday deliveries may arrive early. They pointed out that it also says this (in miniscule writing) on the bottom of their web page. A location that - on my browser - you don't even see without scrolling down and, as all the links to the flowers are at the top, I suspect I'm not the only one to miss that.

The upshot. No refund, not even partial. No apology. And some dead flowers for my girlfriend - Happy Valentine's Day huh?

So - if you do need flowers for a Monday, be aware that there'd better be someone in all weekend.

appalling - let others know about this "smallprint" - put a compaint on here
  • hey illiterate_monkey vbmenu_register("postmenu_8525157", true);
    i'm in cardiff too- if you're not working in the day a nice walk around roath/ victoria park or sophia gardens - take a frisbee or something equally silly and a picnic (yes i know it's february but the novelty might be romantic!) wrap up warm and toddle around.:smileyhea
    or if your o/h is the adventurous type i'd suggest St Fagans outdoor museum- it's quirky and you could decide which house you'd both live in (or maybe that's just me!) and a nice place to spend time in whether you're a new couple or amore established one.
    i know these aren't the obvious cardiff suggestions but maybe they'll love the novelty of doing something different!
    otherwise there's always good old cinema but that can get very expensive showing off and buying sweets!
    ... and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should ...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • People on HUKD are saying the Tesco roses are actually £4.75, not £4.
  • After going into Morrisons yesterday they currently have a fantastic valentines offer on. Its a bottle of rose champagne & a massive box of O'Briens chocolates,
    If you are to buy them seperately the champagne is About £23.99 & the chocs are about £12.00, but if you buy them both the total price is £15.00. I can never really understand this type of offer but its there and i am sure everyone would enjoy for £15.00
  • Gorf123Gorf123 Forumite
    65 posts
    10 Posts
    daveybuk wrote: »
    The upshot. No refund, not even partial. No apology. And some dead flowers for my girlfriend - Happy Valentine's Day huh?...

If you can print your own greeting cards, give her this. Hopefully she'll see the funny side.

A bit late for Valentine's day, but you can get printable cards (with fold and envelope) from SVP here. There's not enough time to get them by Feb 14, but plenty of time for Mother's Day (Mar 2) when you can print this one.

:rotfl:
  • fangita wrote: »
    If you are to buy them seperately the champagne is About £23.99 & the chocs are about £12.00, but if you buy them both the total price is £15.00. I can never really understand this type of offer but its there and i am sure everyone would enjoy for £15.00

Er... They were never really available at those separate prices, or if they were, it was only for a short period to make the discounted offer look good. Either that or Chairman Ken is slitting his own throat for your benefit. Which do you think is more likely?
  • Where is the OP getting these prices? They don't seem to be true.

Morrison's is advertising:
    12 Roses with Gypsophila - £4.99 (from 11th February)

The store nor the website says anything about £2.50 prices.

Also, the Tesco price is wrong per my last email.