Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day. - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
84 replies 116.6K views

Replies

• pappuyogs wrote: »
    I agree, Arena Flowers has a range of flowers sourced directly from the growers and they are acredited by FFP (Fair Flowers Fair Plants). Ordered a dozen red roses sometime last year, and they were outstanding and they hand deliver flowers within the London region. Other than that, local florists are a better bet.

Arena Flowers I used to like and spend quite a lot of money with.

But then I moved out of London, and they are not as good, I had my flowers delivered by courier on the wrong day and with very little care.

Only use them if the recipient is inside M25.
  • :money:If you want to offer completely blameless and innocent flowers to you Valentine, you can look for Local, Organic and Seasonal.

It is far cheaper, better for the environment!!! :T

If you want to know why please read the following thread:
    St Valentine's day - Be green, don't buy Roses!!!

Read it and you will understand that buying flowers from abroad is disgusting and really bad for the environment. :eek:

And this is a nice thing to explain to your valentine why you did not buy Roses this year.

:rotfl:

• I've bought a littl red box from Tesco (£1 i think...) and got some jelly & chocy kisses, again a quid or so. Im popping them into the box as the wrapping is cheap, but also putting a card in there as I am arranging 2-3 hrs of babysitting, we can go anywhere we like for a whole evening!

Now thats romantic!
  • GambitGambit Forumite
    584 posts
    If we want to take a stand against high pressure marketing that tells us "love means buying her a bunch of roses" then lets take a stand! Instead of buying cheap roses buy something that's sold at the normal price because it's not associated with Valentines day.

I agree... it's terrible that we (as men) are made to feel we must buy expensive flowers for our loved ones at Valentines as the prices of everything from flowers to 'Valentines Meals' out cost a fortune. :wall: I still believe that Valentines Day was created by Hallmark! :rotfl:

Having said that I will still be trying to do something special for my girlfriend this Valentines, even though she doesnt expect or demand anything from me... she's lovely like that. So I'll probably buy her the roses but make her dinner to keep down the costs :lovethoug At the end of the day, I dont want her to feel left out at Valentines or for her friends to think she has a rubbish and tight boyfriend! :P So I'll 'give in' but not too OTT!!
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • GambitGambit Forumite
    584 posts
    maybe some people wouldn't find it so traditional, but i think a plant is more romantic on valentines day than a cut flower...
    a plant will keep on growing whereas a flower will eventually die...
    it's more symbolic somehow... ;)

May have a look around for one. Thanks UnlikelyButTrue!! :beer:
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • 15% off at Bunches.co.uk. Type in HBOS in the coupon code.
    :j
  • womble32 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're a florist then?? Cheap is good for me - well done to the supermarkets for driving down the cost of goods. If there are people prepared to work for next to nothing then let's use them; if we didn't then they would have nothing and surely that's worse than next to nothing??

Whilst I am always ready for a good deal I find your comment somewhat in bad taste.

Do you really think those Kenyan farmers (and worse still their workers) actually want to work for next to nothing? No, they are left very little choice and are had over a barrel by the big multiples. Not to mention the appalling damage that the growing methods inflict on the environment.

I want to give moh a red grand prix rose this valentines day but I will be doing my da.....est to make sure its Fairtrade/Sustainable etc. Even if I do have to pay a little more for it. On that subject if anyone has found such a thing online I would be grateful to know.

You shouldn't and don't have to ditch your morals to save money.
  • Hey_DudeHey_Dude Forumite
    1.8K posts
    brucie24 wrote: »
    You shouldn't and don't have to ditch your morals to save money.

I agree with your point - totally - I do Fairtrade and all that kind of stuff because I think it's the right thing.

But it is - IMHO - wrong to impose your own moral stance on others - asking Dudes to consider your point of view is different from telling Dudes what they should or should not do.

And it's important to remember that there are many Dudes out there who are on very tight budgets - for whatever reason - and simply can't afford to pay the extra pennies and pounds to reach your high moral stance.

It's the way of things - crappy I know - but the way of things.

Duder
  • Hey_Dude wrote: »
    I agree with your point - totally - I do Fairtrade and all that kind of stuff because I think it's the right thing.

But it is - IMHO - wrong to impose your own moral stance on others - asking Dudes to consider your point of view is different from telling Dudes what they should or should not do.

And it's important to remember that there are many Dudes out there who are on very tight budgets - for whatever reason - and simply can't afford to pay the extra pennies and pounds to reach your high moral stance.

It's the way of things - crappy I know - but the way of things.

Duder

Asolutely and if it came across as telling rather than highlighting then I apologise. I am on a tight budget now but choose to consider the consequences of my actions. I also know people who are alot worse off who do the same. Fairtrade etc does not always mean more expensive!

btw - I don't accept it is a high moral stance to think of others far worse off than myself.