Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day. - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Shop but don't drop
84 replies 116.6K views

Replies

• collycolly Forumite
    110 posts
    artha wrote: »
    roses lasting for 4 weeks! this must be a world record. As the husband of a florist i can asure you that most roses last a week to 12 days at best.

The other point I'd like to make is that florists are not making a killing on Valentines Day it is the suppliers/wholesalers who hike the prices at this time.

Florists will also condition the (fresh) roses before they are sold in order to increase the longevity of the rose
    i was shocked your roses lasted for 4 weeks! i am a florist my self and we always get the blame off customers that were greedy and bump the prices up artha is correct its our suppliers who put them up and if florists dont increase their prices we would be working for nothing
  • Spikey_2Spikey_2 Forumite
    14.1K posts
    so what are the best prices for courier/delivery.?
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • N_RN_R Forumite
    76 posts
    spikey wrote: »
    so what are the best prices for courier/delivery.?

Pick the phone up and ring your local florist.
  • Last year i bought a single red rose from Tescos finest range, it was dreadful and died within 24 hours, we could not believe it.
  • just a warning that the asda roses for 18£ do not it seems include free chocs!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • daveybukdaveybuk Forumite
    141 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Last year i bought a single red rose from Tescos finest range, it was dreadful and died within 24 hours, we could not believe it.

You're not the only one that will never use Tesco again. I did just post this elsewhere, so sorry if you've seen it - but this is obviously a more relevant place to recount my experience.

Last week, I spent £45 to order some Valentines Day Cala Lillies for my partner from Tesco Direct Flowers - her favourite kind. Only Monday deliveries were available.

I knew she wouldn't be at home all weekend so had to go for that. However, the bouquet was delivered 48 hours early on Saturday, supposedly signed for by her (even though she was 60 miles away - with me). Consequently, by the time she got them, most of the bouquet - which to be honest was pitiful anyway for the price - was dead.

This, according to Tesco Customer Service, is all my fault as it is stated "clearly" (i.e. in the small print) that Monday deliveries may arrive early. They pointed out that it also says this (in miniscule writing) on the bottom of their web page. A location that - on my browser - you don't even see without scrolling down and, as all the links to the flowers are at the top, I suspect I'm not the only one to miss that.

The upshot. No refund, not even partial. No apology. And some dead flowers for my girlfriend - Happy Valentine's Day huh?

So - if you do need flowers for a Monday, be aware that there'd better be someone in all weekend.
  • daveybuk wrote: »
    You're not the only one that will never use Tesco again. I did just post this elsewhere, so sorry if you've seen it - but this is obviously a more relevant place to recount my experience.

Last week, I spent £45 to order some Valentines Day Cala Lillies for my partner from Tesco Direct Flowers - her favourite kind. Only Monday deliveries were available.

I knew she wouldn't be at home all weekend so had to go for that. However, the bouquet was delivered 48 hours early on Saturday, supposedly signed for by her (even though she was 60 miles away - with me). Consequently, by the time she got them, most of the bouquet - which to be honest was pitiful anyway for the price - was dead.

This, according to Tesco Customer Service, is all my fault as it is stated "clearly" (i.e. in the small print) that Monday deliveries may arrive early. They pointed out that it also says this (in miniscule writing) on the bottom of their web page. A location that - on my browser - you don't even see without scrolling down and, as all the links to the flowers are at the top, I suspect I'm not the only one to miss that.

The upshot. No refund, not even partial. No apology. And some dead flowers for my girlfriend - Happy Valentine's Day huh?

So - if you do need flowers for a Monday, be aware that there'd better be someone in all weekend.

Tesco are outrageous and I can see very little good in them although I'm afraid, due to the poor choices locally, we are forced to buy some of our food shopping there.

This kind of thing makes me so mad. It's not like you spent £4.50, £45 is a lot of money and the company who accounts for £1 in every £7 on the high street couldn't be bothered. This arrogance is unforgivable.

If it were me, and you may not want the hassle, I would get in touch with your local and regional papers. The regional paper may find your story interesting (they are less likely to take advertising from Tesco for a local store) or even some of the nationals might be interested in running a story especially if you can find other angles...if you were, for example, unemployed..."An unemployed man from Cambridgeshire had his love plans bought to a halt by Tesco...Bob, who saved hard to scrap together £45"...you get the idea.

Hit them in the wallet.

In my local area they buy up land around other supermarkets to stop them being expanded!

Grrrr

Stephen
    also known as The Sausage King
  • Just to let you know as a florist this is close to my heart and I read your comments but I need to tell you all some facts.
    Florists, the honest ones don't put up the price just because its valentines, at the moment I am paying the same price I was selling them at 2 weeks ago. This goes back to 1)supply and deman, You the consumer are pushing up the price as flowers are autioned in Holland for all over theworlds supply and uless you are buying 10's of thousands then you can go straight to a grower. Most small busniess can't do this. 2)the price of oil has pushed up packaging, transport etc within the industry and every other industry therefore adding about 8% to the cost. 3) Equador or other shorter stem roses (like the suppermarket buy) are not going to make any difference on lasting any longer its down to luck sometimes as to how long the growers may have been holding back their crops, and refrigerating them. This is done because of supply and demand. You try getteing 100's of millions of roses to bloom for this week.
    I would also like to point out that the likes of tescos tell the growers what they will pay and if they don't like it they loss their contract. Each year they want it cheaper. I know that some suppermarkets now own their own flower growing farms, putting others out of business.
    Florist's sell flowers for every occasion. They train for years to know every aspect of their profession. Learn to know the good from the bad roses and therefore won't sell you short small headed roses that last five minuets. This is their livelyhood not selling bake beans or eggs or bread etc etc etc.
  • Got my roses in ASDA last night - they had a boquet of 24 'Sweetheart' roses for £4. They're a very deep red and quite small so I got a couple and have re-wrapped myself - looks brilliant for £8!

Hope this helps someone!

James
  • daveybukdaveybuk Forumite
    141 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

If it were me, and you may not want the hassle, I would get in touch with your local and regional papers. The regional paper may find your story interesting (they are less likely to take advertising from Tesco for a local store) or even some of the nationals might be interested in running a story especially if you can find other angles...if you were, for example, unemployed..."An unemployed man from Cambridgeshire had his love plans bought to a halt by Tesco...Bob, who saved hard to scrap together £45"...you get the idea.
    quote]

Aftetr my girlfriend spoke to them, and got a more sympathetic hearing, they have apparently agreed to refund the money (although so far I've had no confirmation).

At least I know not to use them again in future.