Tips on getting through every day without spending a penny !

Options

Comments

• lauren565
    Options
    yes thats a good idea bells bells. Another thing im doing is when i do my food shopping at morrisons, say it comes to 21 then i will buy some saver stamps from the cashier and make total bill up to 30. I save these for christmas. I started in august last year, quite late really, managed about 150 saver stamps in time for xmas. Have started earlier this year, just a few pounds here and there but it all adds up too! I use that for xmas food shopping and some presents for the children from Morrisons.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    For your shopping you could try Aldi or Lidl if there is one close to you, there are great savings to be had on everyday items. I switched my weekly shop from a bigger shop to Lidl and I have saved about £5/week, I tend to use shop's own brand for most of the things I buy so now I get all the same stuff (Lidl own brand) but at a lower price.
  • frugalfreda
    Options
    I have been reading this thread with interest and I now want to add my comments. Firstly, I want to say well done - you have obviously put a lot of thought into this. Obviously what works for you won't work for everyone.

My parents strugged financially in the 1980's and early 1990's. My dad never carried around a bank card or even cash (possibly still doesn't?!) and this worked for my parents. Before he met my mum, he would buy chocolate etc. every day (hmm, sounds like me..!).

I remember going to birthday parties (this is one of my vivid childhood memories) but my school classes were very small and I suspect we didn't get invited to every party. We never had parties ourselves but I guess my parents didn't want us to miss out on other parties. My mum would have hunted out bargains for presents. My brother and I probably would have gone to some of these parties together as we are close in age. I don't have children (yet) and I know that we may have to say no to some invites if it comes to getting 3 in a week. I guess the going rate for a birthday present these days is about £10?

My parents also did things with us that didn't cost money - free museums, trips out to the countryside etc. and I never felt like I missed out. In fact, I still like doing stuff like this.

We freeze reduced bread for my DH. I don't freeze milk but my mum does.

Do you save loose change? I do plus save £2 coins and it all helps. Loose change is currently going in my maternity savings but it will be against the mortgage next.
  • LouiseJ
    LouiseJ Posts: 11,156 Forumite
    Options
    lauren565 wrote: »
    Hi Louise, do you know what mags usually do coupons? Dont know of many. Thanks x

Asda mag usually has a few in and tesco. I dont buy magazines but my MIL buys bella and that usually has some in too.

Have you got a family member or friend who can maybe re-cycle their mags. I get quite a few in the post also.
    But these things take time, I know that I'm, the most inept that ever stepped.
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well im 27 years old now and husband 28, and i want it gone by 35.
    Same here, I'm 28 this year (OH is 37 though) but we would ideally like the mortgage gone by the time we get round to actually having kids. Same sort of reasons though really, we'd love to be able to afford to save money for ours and our childrens' futures and not having a mortgage will make that so much easier to achieve.

If I wore a hat I'd tip it to you Lauren :p will my woolie beanie do?
  • lauren565
    Options
    Lol thanks cazzdevil!
  • lauren565
    Options
    02skn wrote: »
    Yes good for her. But live a little. She is still young and so are her children. Will she look back in six or seven years time when the mortgage is paid off and wonder where all those years went. This is just my point of view and if what she is doing is good for her then thats all that counts.

No in six/seven years time perhaps the mortgage will be paid off, I sincerely hope so, but will I look back and be sorry for missing out? No because I am doing it for my children - I would do ANYTHING for them. Any extra I have goes straight in the child trust funds now too and my husband and I depriving them of a few luxuries here and there is not what they will remember. They have fantastic christmasses where we really push the boat out (currently saving for xmas 08) and we go out every weekend as a family. My point is you dont need money to make your children happy. Teaching them about the value of money is a good thing I think. They go to afterschool activities, but also do good free things eg I take them to the library, park, out on picnics, walks etc. I cant really say they are missing out. We are going on holiday in april (just butlins but the kids will love it) Also things people should consider is the environmental issue eg saving water electricity, it not only saves money but saves the planet and that can only be good for the future generations too. Maybe I am getting a bit obsessed with paying the mortgage off early, but thats because I can see the bigger picture. x
  • lauren565
    Options
    Other tips
    1. borrow books from library instead of buying or have a book circle with friends/family
    2. Dont go food shopping when hungry. You will definately overspend on food.
    3.Most people do this but always check out the reduced items shelf at supermarkets. There is a reduced meat shelf in the fridge isle, buy all the meat you can and freeze it. Theres also a shelf with the canned goods where damaged goods are, eg, canned foods, household items etc.. This is a great way to get cheap nappies. Parents have been known to steal a nappy out of a new packet on the shelf then the supermarket is unable to easily sell the opened packet so put it on the reduced shelf. I got two packet of huggies nappies for £2.49 each this way, reduced from £5.99 each. Just because one nappy out of each pack was missing.Theres also a small section in the freezer isle for packets that have accidently opened in transit. You can get brand name oven chips for half the price.
    4. A friend of mine gave me a great tip. When making spaghetti bolognaise/lasagne and cooking the mince.... Buy the value mince that you can find in the freezer at the supermarket. Usually a big bag is just over £1. Cook it from frozen. Place in a saucepan, fill saucepan with cold water to just covering the mince, add two crushed beef (eg oxo) stock cubes, add chopped onions. Bring to the boil. Then simmer for around 20-30 minutes until cooked. Drain, saving some of the 'gravy' liquid in a small jug/bowl. Return the cooked mince to the pan and then carry on cooking as you normally would for spaghetti/lasagne adding veg, tinned chopped tomatoes etc. I find adding gravy powder really makes spaghetti lovely. I never tried boiling before but after I did, I never went back to frying it. It makes it come up lovely and fluffy and beautifully tasty. Try it! :) p.s. this doesnt work with fresh beef (boiling!)
  • Retired_I.F.A.
    Options
    WHATEVER RETIRED I.F.A. ........... What does i f a stand for anyway..... could it possibly be idiot financial advisor by any chance? LOL ;)

Could be I forget now I retired at 43 mortgage and debt free. The biggest financial pain was the missus though but I got parole from the marraige before I was 40.:D

Seriously though just find a balance that's comfortable and hope for inflation to raise its lovely head again. With 10% inflation your mortgage halves in real terms every 7 years, the rate charged will be higher but the balance will be less, your savings worth more and early retirement will be a possability.
    Besides which why pay off the cheapest money you'll ever owe when investing the repayment element in isa's and pension plans over the long term will be far more benificial ?
  • dfitps
    dfitps Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a great list but I too think that children's parties are not something I'd personally want to knock on the head completely - their value to children can be much greater than the experience at that particular moment, when it comes to making connections and maintaining friendships. I wouldn't want my child to be seen as one who never comes to any parties at all in their early years, it could look very antisocial or even stingy (and I'm free of all debts except for a mortgage too, which we want to get rid of). It's not about keeping up with the Joneses! Re holding parties for one's own children (which the OP doesn't mention doing or not doing), I agree that there's no need to push the boat out in terms of doing so at all or making it all singing all dancing if you do. Pizza for child and two friends is fine, or a party at home, or even nothing at all! But like I said, I wouldn't want to deprive my children of going to any of their friends' parties at all, and I tend to agree with whoever said that doing that while still playing the lottery doesn't seem fair - the odds of winning the lottery are SO tiny, but the benefit to kids of having fun at parties is much more and more immediate. Mind you I'm personally stuck in the 'have had the same numbers forever and daren't stop buying a ticket in case they win and I see that they have' situation myself so I sympathise with the OP if she is too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure