Tips on getting through every day without spending a penny !

Options
Hi all,:D

Wanted to start a new thread, I am really serious about paying every spare penny into my savings pot to get mortgage down. Would anyone like to share any tips to get through every day without spending a penny? Please feel free to share!

Here are mine that Ive come up with so far....

1. Leave my purse and bank card at home. Then I wont be tempted to pop into any shops after dropping the kids off to school.
2. No more buying on ebay. Don't find its very cheap for bargains anymore anyway. Was buying alot of clothes on there for my four children but their wardrobes are fit to bursting so this had to STOP!!!! Thankfully I have not had any withdrawal effects from not using it ! LOL
3. My husband is not allowed his bank card ( i cancelled it! ha ha ) after he would not get up early enough every morning to make a packed lunch and decided a mcdonalds meal every day was sufficient. No more! I hit the roof when I went through one month bank statement and it came to £60. Could have killed him actually - must get him to watch that film 'Supersize me' !!! If he doesnt get up in the mornings early enough to make sandwhiches, then he can starve!
4. No more diy - the house is more or less finished. No more popping into focus for plants, as I kept doing recently. Was getting quite addicted to planting things, but now got enough. Dont want epping forest in my back garden!
5. My children's school friends keep inviting my children to parties and the costs for presents for their friends mounts up so I am going to avoid these for a while. I was at the point of going to poundstretcher and buying them a new book for £1 but this was rather tacky, and screams "Ive got no money!" so avoidance of kids parties is the best cure altogether.
6. No more lottery. Just going to spend £1 on wednesdays and £1 on saturday. Dont do euromillions. No chance of winning. I was using lottery online and the minimum deposit to buy a lottery ticket was £5.00 which meant I regularly was spending 2 x £5 per week on it. Instead I am going to go to the shop and buy it with a £1 coin!
7. No more using the phone. If anyone wants me they can blooming ring me. Im sick of phoning family and then running up my phone bill. Im going to hibernate for a while!
8.Sticking to no frills food and going shopping 2 weekly or monthly. Just topping up on milk, bread and fruit where absolutely necessary. Filled the freezer in the garage up with milk and bread and defrost the night before when running low.
9. Avoiding netto like the plague. Was always tempted when I got their special offers leaflet in the weekly free newspaper through the door. No more!!!
10. Trying to cut down on water usage in the house. I bath all the kids together (they're only little!!!), not filling it up that much, then shower only for my and husband. Trying not to let water run when doing washing up. Filing up sink and leaving it with plug in for as long as water is clean, then change.
11. When the kids dont drink there cups of milk in the morning, i save the milk in one cup and use that for my coffee/tea throughout the day instead of pouring it down the sink like i used to do. Trying not to overfill the kettle.
12. With four kids there is tons of washing. Not using the tumble dryer. Bought a clothes horse and using that. It takes ages to dry but I dont care - saving money.!!! Only using the tumble dryer for emergencies eg kids uniform for school the next day but trying to get it dry as much as possible before using it.
13. Walking to school - this is not so easy today because its snowing, freezing and my little boy moans the whole way..... Used the car just thursday and friday this week and thats because i had dental appointments to get to after school and coz is cold today. cant wait for some clear weather!
14. Sticking to a set dinner menu for evenings. Going to use up everything in the freezer, cupboards and fridge before doing a food shop again.
15. I know it might sound stupid, but I find watching BBC News 24 a real help with staying on track. When you hear the news about the gas and electricity going up, it really makes me tighten my wallet. Its also interesting for listening to the gloomy market news.... very encouraging to not spend! Trying not to have the telly on much though during the day. Giving my little boy colouring to do instead. Trying to save electricity!

Feel free to add! Lauren xxx

Comments

• Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought - drop the lottery completely and for £2/week (£104/year) your kids won't be deprived of attending their friends' birthday parties.
  • lauren565
    Options
    yes but what if i won? We'd be able to have our own major party! LOL
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Number 1 on your list is the key. If you don't have it you don't spend it.

It looks like you've really thought it through carefully, good on you.
  • watcherman
    Options
    I think being a MFW wannabee needs balance, and the list above looks a bit OTT in my opinion, you need to live a little too.
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its a shame to miss out on parties,I used to buy gifts in the sales for the year,we would buy a selection for different ages and sexes,we would make homemade cards and buy cheap wrapping paper.
  • Tiggerwoos
    Options
    Sorry, had to add when I read the post title "Tips on getting through every day without spending a penny" and I thought don't drink any water!
  • MUSTBEFUNNY_2
    Options
    Hi,

I think no 5 is a bit much, not sending your kids to parties cos you don't want to buy a present:eek:. I think that's way too stingy:eek: I think it's really important for kids to have friends and it's great for them to be invited to parties. Also, I think stopping sending kids to parties because you don't want to buy a present also send a really bad message to kids about being generous.:rolleyes:
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have started leaving my bank cards at home and it really does help, also just take cash when I need to get something so I do not get tempted by impulse buys in the supermarket - kept me in the black during the last two months when I was out of work, and hopefully will keep me solvent now even though salary not enough to cover bills.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there Will be following this thread defo as I'm becoming such a tightwad myself, good for you. I can see what you mean about the kids parties they are becoming quite out of hand. I live beside a new community centre and some of the kids arrive in hired limo's in designer clothes, then there's the dj, entertainment and the rest of the trimmings. How can parents compete with this, what happened to jelly n custard, scones with money in and musical chairs!
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about having (at home old fashioned) children's parties for your brood then recycling those presents that are duplicated or that the kids already have? Mine used to get lots of felt pens and games etc that we already have and I used to do this without anyone noticing. Alternatively pick up some bargains at school car boot sales, NCT sales etc. You can often find really high quality children's books and games for a few pence at these.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport