Tips on getting through every day without spending a penny !

Options
15678911»

Comments

• it'smeinit
    it'smeinit Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Everyday above ground is a bonus:D . life is to short to give up every pleasure.
    :kisses3: Everyday above ground is a bonus!!:D
  • savingmore
    savingmore Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    went to look at my car insurance today, had a quote for 191 with Mr. T's. managed to get it via quidco including breakdown cover with the RAC for 165, which means i saved £27 today, £120 on my AA renewal and then got £34 already tracked with quidco, the first time i used it, so feeling well chauffed! also sorted out loads of things which i am going to carboot when the weather improves...:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Lauren!

Thanks for starting the thread....

I've got slightly addicted to this site - that helps save money! :o

I used to spend alot of magazines (now I just get one a birthday present as a subscription) so I swap them with the lady at work.

Try to buy my clothes from charity shops/ebay and only when needed. Used to have SOOO many clothes that didnt fit or didnt wear

Write meal plans and plan food shop accordingly. Buy reduced meat and freeze it.

Have started growing own veg

Have tried to drum it into my head that it doesnt matter what car I drive/holidays I go on/how big house is etc. Dont have to try to keep up with everyone else. As long as I and DH are happy thats all that matters.

Be interesting to hear all the other ideas that people have!! :D
  • magneto
    magneto Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Instead of buying a expensive sandwich from a shop, taking a pack lunch will save you a lot of money.[/FONT]
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    I definately agree. I've started making pasta dishes to take every day. I have bolognese, chicken & bacon, and chorizo & tomato sauce in little bundles in the freezer and then we just cook the pasta for 5 mins whilst eating our brekkie. I find I eat a lot less snacks if I have a proper lunch which kinda saves money on crisps and choccie and I don't like sandwiches anyway. Though today I have pasta with asparagus, green beans and parma ham - I'm not sure if that's moneysaving or not!
  • noodles42
    noodles42 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Our families are always on at us to write a list of things that we want for Birthdays and Christmas and quite frankly when I looked at the lists I kinda thought - what am I doing? There were items that I knew would just be a fad just so I could put something on the list. So I changed my Birthday list to put on items that I need that cost me a small fortune i.e. nice body moisturiser and new hairbrushes

I then suggested to the other half that for our Christmas lists we just ask everyone to put a contribution towards our holiday (we rent a cottage in the UK so we can take the dogs and save on kennel fees - he he). It means that our holiday is paid for and instead of writing thanks you cards (usually for items that we cant remember who got us what) we can just send a thank you card from the seaside from us and the boys saying they made this possible.

Best of both worlds - we get something we love and it saves us having to budget for a holiday :-)

Every little bit helps - said the lil boy peeing in the sea :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport